Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Tim-Rodriguez OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Running away from London as far south on my two wheeled horse again.

Hi all!

Not many of you may know me as I don't post stuff on here that frequently.

Let me start by Introducing my self...
My name is Tim and I'm 28, I live in a small town in south west London called Hampton (Near Hampton Court) with mum and older sister.
I work at McLaren Automotive.

I a Honda CB500 as they are very reliable and cheap to fix, these bikes are couriers favourite and I see why.

Why I'm leaving...

So last year I found the most perfect girl that I fell in love with, so I wont bore you and cut to the chase...
She was studying in London, but she lived in Costa Rica.
After a year her studying visa had run out and she had to go home so I saved up all my pennies on a plane ticket, but when I went to visit her a couple of months later things weren't the same between us and things didn't go well so we ended it.
I returned to London at work badly heart broken, jet lagged and ill with a cold.

So as most of you may know how careless and wild in life we get specially after loosing the one we really love.

I decided to load my bike up and travel on my own through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Spain.
I wanted to reach Western Sahara, but run out of time, money and I think the part of my brain that was making me feel down and heart broken got switched off for a minute and then I realised what I was doing and got scared, so I turned around back home.

Last year photos...

.................................................. ................................................

Its been over a year and still have strong feelings for her think about her everyday and I know its not healthy for me, but I've stopped caring about my own life so to make me feel better tomorrow I'm heading off again on another adventure by myself as far south from home and try and reach the south of Spain maybe even Morocco.

Last minute packing.

My Spanish is good, but my French sucks!

To be continued when I can get internet out there or when I get back.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 579
There's a lot of women out there, and in the fullness of time the experience will add to who you are.
To have the capacity to love is a great thing. Many people go though life without really feeling love and heartbreak from loss.
More to the current point, you are free and southbound.
Good luck and I hope you find what's waiting for you.
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Tim-Rodriguez OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I set off from home with grey skies...
Riding 40 miles out of London I experience the rain and I kept saying to myself "it will stop in a minute and I will dry off" so no need to put waterproofs on, but it went on and only stopped when I got at the ferry crossing at Calais.

Arrive at France

I managed to get on the ferry and dry my gloves and other stuff off in the rest room on the hand driers, but once I got off I rode about 20 miles into France and there was this horrible misty heavy rain that got almost everything wet including my electrical chargers, phone, gloves and seat sheep skin.

Things were getting pretty miserable then after riding for several hours I stop at a Petrol station to fill up and spray my chain and the retarded me forgot to pack the chain lube.
So after feeling down and asking myself why do I do this, I pushed on till I got to a camp site.

I stopped at a camp site near a town called Chartres.
This place was only 5 Euros for the night and I managed to hang most of my wet stuff to dry on the line and have a warm shower with dry clothes to wear.

These trees always remind me of France.

Stuff trying to dry.

Leather gloves are soaked

My set up with my one man tent.

First camping meal of the night was egg fried rice with tinned mackerel in tomato sauce.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Tim-Rodriguez OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was messaging my friend to try and find me a motorcycle store local to me on his computer, but all he could find was people that might have been just personal mechanics and not bike store.

I woke up in the morning and headed off to the local town where I found a Honda motorcycle dealer...Perfect!

A lucky customer bought that beauty within 5 minutes of me being there.

20 painful Euros later and I got what I wanted for three times the price I expected it to be.

So I ride on south and break through the horrid grey clouds and enter these amazing small town.

So its lunch time and decide to stop by the side of the road with others giving me strange looks to make myself something quick.

Then I carried on south on the road and things were getting really warm, but then again stupid me bought too many clothes and have nowhere to store my jacket or rucksack that's pushing me against the tank.

So I carry on and if you can tell me what wrong with this picture then you will know what my next problem was...

Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
zhu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Well the chain lube might have cost 20 euros but now you have enough for the next 100 years
Old 08-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Tim-Rodriguez OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So my speedometer stop working and that meant that I could no longer reset the trip meter every time I refuel and had to guess by looking into the tank.

I stop at the next petrol station to have a close inspection.

Broken speedometer cable that had got all rusty and clogged up somehow.

Using the sat nav to figure out when the next fill up would be as long as I didn't get lost by finding a shortcut or going a longer road that the sat nav wasn't showing.

I was getting fed up also worried with all of these problems as well as I had almost spent all my cash and it got me thinking till I got to the next camp site later this day.

Spiderman keeps me safe on my travels.

It was getting late and decided to stop at a camp site in a town called Gannat.

That night I got thinking about everything and was very sure of turning around and heading back home in the morning.
I would have like to be able to reach Spain, but I was in a lot of discomfort with lack of space, the heat, my saddle was killing my ass, bike wasn't accelerating smoothly, only half of my money to get back left, almost out of food, no speedometer and other problems mentioned.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Tim-Rodriguez OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhu View Post
Well the chain lube might have cost 20 euros but now you have enough for the next 100 years
That's true, I wasn't too sure how often you're supposed to spray the chain.
I did a lights spray almost every fill up at around 200 miles.

That can was 20 Euro for 750ml and the 500ml was 17.50 Euro.

But you're right I still have loads left and its not the cheap crappy stuff.