Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #16
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
So Saturday will be my last day at my current job. Next sunday a friend is coming to buy the last few bits of furniture, and I suspect that will be the day when my car's new owner will arrive. Therefore I'm looking to leave in the morning on March 5, giving me a maximum of 24 days to get to Bellingham and board the ferry. So far, I've plotted everything from a direct 2800 mile route to a roundabout 5500 mile meander through the lower 48. The last 2 legs of the trip are easy enough: the ferry trip, and the 650 mile run from Haines to Fairbanks.

Between Maryland and Bellingham? I'm still trying to pick a general direction. I think I'm going to play in Appalachia for a little while, then start cutting west across the middle of the country. Basically going to let the weather push me in one direction or another. I've gotten a few very very generous offers for room and board along the way so far, and since I have the time I'm happy to oblige.

Heated grips (Hot Grips) arrived yesterday from Lockitt Products. I purchased a used but well cared for Aerostich Roadcrafter from a local good-guy (wreckchecker here on ADV) earlier today along with some fleece pants and a down jacket for warmth up north. Hoping my heated gear arrives soon...
My vote is for the 5500 mile meander.

A few things pop out at me there. Have you posted anything in the Alaska Forum or done any other research on road conditions up that way in late March?

Some posts by AKDuc have me wondering.

If you haven't, he may be a good place to start.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
250Keith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I'm in, Have a safe trip.
250Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,655
I hope to see you in this neck of the woods.
Looking forward to following along...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,892
Yup, done research that I hope is enough to adequately prepare. Basically I need to be ready for anything from cold sunshine to blowing whiteout snow and everything in between. Be prepared to sit and wait it out wherever you end up being caught out, particularly if its just the side of the road. I'll have food and shelter for a couple days with me for sure before I leave Haines. And I'll be checking in here and with family before riding up from the boat. There's a cool ride report of a guy leaving Fairbanks in early April (can't remember the exact ride report) that was extremely informative too.

Anyone local to MD, stop by the Mount Royal Tavern on Thursday night and I should be there with a couple locals if they decide to drag themselves out for one last hurrah. More soon, maybe
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #20
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Gonna follow your rr

There are lots of adv type following your trip so if you get snow/ice bound be smart enough to contact us.

The rider report you may be referring to is Thomas's ride back from Ak on Cack, I have that link saved since Vermin is super close bud, let me know if you need the link.

ride warm/dry/ smart,
adios, gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
JimOBrien
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I'd use www.wunderground.com to keep up with the weather and temps. US 50 runs right the the middle but it's gonna get real cold thru Colorado and Monarch Pass may be closed. May be run further south thru Texas to San Diego and up Hwy 1 along the coast.
JimOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
US 50 runs right the the middle but it's gonna get real cold thru Colorado and Monarch Pass may be closed.
It's an on-again, off-again kinda thing. Today it's low 50s and sunny and I went to lunch wearing a t-shirt and shorts. Snow/rain mix predicted tonight and tomorrow but sunny and 50 by Sunday. Check the weather and I can confirm when you get close...
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #23
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Today it's low 50s and sunny and I went to lunch wearing a t-shirt and shorts...
sheesh. I'm a California wimp. It's low 50's here today and I'm wearing a fleece and my Sharks knit cap and I'm still cold I think we're getting some Alaskan air mass...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
sheesh. I'm a California wimp. It's low 50's here today and I'm wearing a fleece and my Sharks knit cap and I'm still cold I think we're getting some Alaskan air mass...
We totally understand and what ramz forgot to tell you, he was also in his flipflops with out socks!!! , Just the way it goes here in CO. My siblings in Alabama never understand either when they see pics or call for potential weather fronts coming their way.

ride warm/dry
gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #25
Ovoidious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Good Luck Skierd - We'll DAMN sure miss you but be following you all the way.

Any thoughts on using a SPOT tracker so we can follow the path of a man with no plan?

Might be pretty interesting.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #26
Ovoidious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Skierd - you could always plan your route up through Montana and get the USA TOR Tag which has been sitting at this location for over 6 months.

Not sure how the weather is up there, just throwing it out.

Tag Game and drop here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...575994&page=46
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #27
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,523
Subscribed
Hope you have a safe ride.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #28
rageabout
Say my name

Oddometer: 325
Have a great ride. Looking forward to following your trip.
rageabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #29
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,431
Sbscribed!

Go Dave Go!
Looking forward to following you.
Got a bsite yet for your photography and art? If not, please do consider one for us daily grinders.

Thursaday morning in Anchorage, two bald eagles flew low to pass me. I was just going "cool" when our talk of appreciation last Sunday came to mind and that I'm glad you are somebody who will totally live the experience up there.

Ride safe!
Bob
Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #30
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,892
No blog site yet, I wont be traveling with my computer but will have my droid to check in with here and on facebook.

The little (hopefully) last gasp of winter blew through Maryland today, along with some last minute second guessing with packing and what I'm shipping up to myself I've postponed departure until tomorrow.

Here's the first test pack...

A little too hillbillly for me, so I took everything on the back rack and tossed it into a medium sized duffel. Its a bit cleaner setup on the bike and hopefully easier to utilize on the road.

The last of my stuff is either on my bike, in storage, or in a box to get shipped to me in Alaska...

The coffee mug I got on the trip my dad and I took up the AlCan when I was a kid...

Here we go...
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote