User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #796
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Waiting !!!!!!

Here we are waiting for you, for the next tour here !!!!!!! animo amigo !!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #797
Billy79015
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
THIS SHORT LETTER IS FROM MY GRAND BABY BLESSED yyyby5 66666 [[[LJ4GHL ;UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLL LL M /////////////////776 LMMMMMMMMMMMMMHPRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:f reakyJKYOIIUU JKYO;;L;;'Y88I'OPO;
Billy79015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #798
farrell caesar
Seezer

Oddometer: 381
darien gap

Hey Donnie. Just read about the new ferry from Panama to Colombia. $99 introductory offer. This should open up SA ! I'm hoping i will be ready to go next yr. I was 65 Sunday. Can't wait too long at my young age to explore. It opens may 10th 2012. My Dr is itching to go ! But I have the big bags on the KLR? salud !
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #799
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Saludos !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrell caesar View Post
Hey Donnie. I was 65 Sunday. Can't wait too long at my young age to explore
Congratulations !!!!!!! Here we will be waiting for the piece of cake !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #800
farrell caesar
Seezer

Oddometer: 381
it's my birthday

Donnie and I will bring the cake when we come down next time. Like yellow cake? Thanks for taking care of our inmate from Mississippi. I think all inmates that travel to Mexico was touched by your generosity and your family. The people of Mexico have valuable lessons to teach us gringos about what is really important in this life. muchas gracias Emiliano and family !
Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #801
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy79015 View Post
just finished my noon meal and saw your latest sound as pretty as TEXAS glad to hear your doing well call me some time when you get service
OK! I am back in Mexico!

Quote:
Salud !
HI!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #802
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilianoXR650L View Post
Here we are waiting for you, for the next tour here !!!!!!! animo amigo !!!!!!!
I will be headed in your direction in the morning. I am in Tapachula and should arrive Friday. I hope!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy79015 View Post
THIS SHORT LETTER IS FROM MY GRAND BABY BLESSED yyyby5 66666 [[[LJ4GHL ;UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLL LL M /////////////////776 LMMMMMMMMMMMMMHPRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:f reakyJKYOIIUU JKYO;;L;;'Y88I'OPO;
Tell her I said hi!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #803
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Donnie. Just read about the new ferry from Panama to Colombia. $99 introductory offer. This should open up SA ! I'm hoping i will be ready to go next yr. I was 65 Sunday. Can't wait too long at my young age to explore. It opens may 10th 2012. My Dr is itching to go ! But I have the big bags on the KLR? salud !
Happy birthday! I was reading about the ferry before my trip, some of the folks in the know seem to think it is not real. But, I sure hope it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilianoXR650L View Post
Congratulations !!!!!!! Here we will be waiting for the piece of cake !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #804
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Donnie and I will bring the cake when we come down next time. Like yellow cake? Thanks for taking care of our inmate from Mississippi. I think all inmates that travel to Mexico was touched by your generosity and your family. The people of Mexico have valuable lessons to teach us gringos about what is really important in this life. muchas gracias Emiliano and family !
Well said!!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #805
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Apr 19, 20, 21,22,23, 24 - Day 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56

It has bee a while since I updated, but if you are following SPOT you know where I am at!

On the 19th I returned from the small town way out on the terrible road! But, the scenery continued to be awesome! I stopped just short of the Honduras Border and was told I had a flat rear tire as I sat at the red light. There was literely, a flat fixing place across the street. So in less than 30 minutes and about $2.50 I had the tube relaced, the old tube repaired, plus directions to to a hotel.

The next day I arrived at the border and quickly went through the Nicaragua side and the Immigration side of the Honduras side. BTW, the scenery, which had been bland the prior afternoon, was really pretty this morning. The there was about an hour wait and we were finally told that the computeres were down, they could process our importation, but could not print out a receipt fpr the $30 or so for the fee. Yes, we all knew what that meant, but the were scamming the Honduras Government, not us! While in line I met Nikki and her daughter Helen. Nikki is originally from the Dominic Republic if I remember correctly and her daugter was born in one of the other Carribeian Islands. Nikki is retired from DC as a Accounting Auditor. She claims New Hampshire as her home, but has not had a home since she retired three years ago. She give away most of her things and started traveling. I learned a lot of this because I invited them to lunch after we finished with Customs. They had been in Central America for about six months and have been al over the US staying at places such as Las Vegas for about four months. Niki has lived in three different places in Texas, normally saying for an extended time in hotels. She has also traveled in Europe. Sounds like an exciting life! Helen, her daughter is a Securities Lawyer and takes leave from work from time to time to travel with her mother. Another case of using a wait to encounter folks! Very interesting folks in theis case!

After lunch we all hit the road, as it turned out we were headed the same direction, at least for a while. I was riding faster than Helen was driving and had by far the luckiest accident I have ever had. Everything is fine no problems or injuries, but it was very close to being very serious! I was coming down the road and a car began doing a U-turn. Sounds sort of familiar don't it? I headed to the right side of the road as the car continued, at the moment I took my left boot off the foot peg, sticking it into the front area of the motorcycle to keep it from being caught between the car and the moto, my boot literally brushed the front bumper of the car. I felt the car bumper when it hit the left soft saddlebag and was waiting for the rear end to slide to the right causing a severe high side, but the saddlebag give enough that the moto did not get our of shape. I took a quick look at the moto and told the driver of the car everything was OK and we both continued on. Folks, a lot of times it is said that a couple of inches could have made a substantial difference, in this case a couple of inches more contact would have resulted in a 30 MPH plus high side. It would not have been pretty!

If you followed SPOT, the route I took from Honduras to Guatemala was extremely beautiful! I stayed again with my friends at the Hotel/Restaurant complex. They have put the gentleman back on bed rest for a couple of months, but most of the blackness in his leg is gone! From there I headed through Guatemala City on on toward Tapachuls, MX. I rode for hours in the 7,500 to 10,000 foot range over a two day period as I approached Mexico. i can{t begin to articulate how beautiful it was so I will just say GET YOUR A$$ES DOWN HERE AND TAKE A LOOK! It was that beautiful! But, it is not a ride for the Goldwings!

I headed back to Karen's and yes, I slept on that concrete floor again! And will again tonight! I will head toward Emilianos in the morning!

I am having a great time and while I am very anxious to visit with Tracy and Madison, plus family and friends back home, I think I could do this just about 100% of the time!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #806
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 436
Its fun tracking you through SPOT, seems like you went a similar way that I did through Honduras. Guatemala was probably my favorite country to ride through. There is really nothing that I can compare it to in the eastern USA, everything seems a bit more tame after riding down there. No volcanoes, no cloud forest, no crazy truck passing up hill around blind corners.

Is there a way to view your entire trip in spot? I can never figure out if that is a feature somewhere.

How was your experience driving through Guatemala City? I didn't have a GPS, but I'd imagine it be a tremendous help. The highways just dump you into the city, and you're left to navigate through. I need some pics
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #807
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
hey donnie, thanks for mentioning goldwings. i know you and your wife put thousand of miles on your goldwing. i've been wanting to ask you about the ffeasibility of riding a wing down in mexico? i'm still a few years out on my mex trip but still planning. backup pland is buying a wee strom and leaving the wife at home. if she comes, it's the wing.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #808
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
hey donnie, thanks for mentioning goldwings. i know you and your wife put thousand of miles on your goldwing. i've been wanting to ask you about the ffeasibility of riding a wing down in mexico? i'm still a few years out on my mex trip but still planning. backup pland is buying a wee strom and leaving the wife at home. if she comes, it's the wing.
I'm sure Donnie will chime in, but I don't see any problem in riding a Goldwing down there and some of my best times was shared with a passenger. I road a K100 without any trouble. Just depends where you want to go, the toll highways are in great condition but crazy expensive! Local roads can be rough, but any motorcycle handle them. If you wanted to do any off the beaten path then i'd leave the Goldwing at home. Also with an expensive bike like that, you'd want to have secure parking at all times which really isn't too difficult as you can find hotels/motels with gated car parks.

If you do bring the goldwing, you'll draw crowds where ever you stop. Mexico loves big shiny bikes! How much? How fast? How many cc? Will get asked at every gas stop.
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #809
philipbarrett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Color me jealous, right now my SPOT trace would lull even the most hardened insomniac into a deep sleep.
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #810
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
Its fun tracking you through SPOT, seems like you went a similar way that I did through Honduras. Guatemala was probably my favorite country to ride through. There is really nothing that I can compare it to in the eastern USA, everything seems a bit more tame after riding down there. No volcanoes, no cloud forest, no crazy truck passing up hill around blind corners.

Is there a way to view your entire trip in spot? I can never figure out if that is a feature somewhere.

I can look at the past 30 days, but other folks can only see seven days on the Shared Page.

How was your experience driving through Guatemala City? I didn't have a GPS, but I'd imagine it be a tremendous help. The highways just dump you into the city, and you're left to navigate through. I need some pics
It was a problem at times. I only have the Base Map for these areas. Since the maps down here are very inacurate, you can be on the road, but the GPS says the road is a mile or more in the other direction! What I have found that works is to know the name of the next couple of towns you will come to and look for signs pointing to those towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
I would not recommend a Wing down here. The bad roads, speed bumps and pot holes would be a problem. But if you do, use stiffer springs to raise both ends and by all means have a belly pan to protect you engine block. I have hit six inch speed bumps at 60 mph that I did not see. The KLR and GS handle this OK, it would not be any fun on a Goldwing to do this! Get a 1000 Vstrom or a used GS and you will have a great moto for two up or solo.