ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Maliwal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
First Post, First Bike, First Bad Decision?

Hey guys, I'm a n00b. Thought I'd get that out of the way early. This is my first post here on ADVRider and it it's about what I think may have been a screw-up on my part.

So, I bought a 1992 Yamaha XT225 a couple weeks ago and have been spending my free time getting it running. It's now fully operational and runs great. No problems mechanically, a couple minor electrical whosawhatsits that I've got to work out, but no big deal. All in all, a steal on my part since I bought the bike for $300 , right?

Well, maybe not. Turns out it hasn't been registered in CA since 2007, and my lovely state wants over $600 dollars in back fees. I'm already into the bike for about $450 total, and I just don't think that a 20 year old 225 is an $1100 bike. To the point of my post: Anyone have any suggestions as to how a broke college student (who bought the bike partially for the fuel efficiency for commuting to work and school) can avoid taking it in the rear from the state?

Any help would be awesome guys and gals, thanks in advance!
-Maliwal
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,311
Since the previous owner didn't put it non-op, there is no way around the back fees. What is wrong with the electrical? If the bike runs and everything works, and with gas prices about to screw us out of our cars, that bike will be worth more then you think. Get it squared away, because the money you spend you will save in the price of fuel. I think those get about 60 - 80 mpg. And you can sell it for $1500 if you choose to get rid of it.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race View Post
Since the previous owner didn't put it non-op, there is no way around the back fees. What is wrong with the electrical? If the bike runs and everything works, and with gas prices about to screw us out of our cars, that bike will be worth more then you think. Get it squared away, because the money you spend you will save in the price of fuel. I think those get about 60 - 80 mpg. And you can sell it for $1500 if you choose to get rid of it.
+1 on what John said

also post over here The official XT225 thread!
to get help sorting out any technical /electrical issues
lots of very knowledgeable help there

btw I get about 74 mpg
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
I don't see how the DMV can ask for back fees from a new owner. I know they do and can try but......

First, I'd see about a statement of facts.. It is a DMV form. You are a new owner and it was a basket case..

AAA is a lot easier to talk with. I have had good luck with some DMV supervisors too.. Research non op status.

I would register it out of state if nothing else.

Good Luck!
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Maliwal OP
Adventurer

First off, thanks again. Good advice folks, I appreciate it. I've got more than one reason for wanting this bike operational pronto. Not the least of which is a trip from the greater Los Angeles Area to the San Francisco Bay area coming up in a month. I'd very much like to make that trip, and not leave my new riding partner to the road alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race View Post
The electrical is nothing major, bad starter solenoid and a burned (literally melted) relay. Got those squared away today actually. Part of why I got the bike was for the fuel economy. My car gets ~26MPG and I'm covering an average of 60 miles a day just for class, not counting work, which is farther, and around town stuff. So I'd really like to keep the bike for that, if nothing else. I'm just a few hundred bucks shy of the DMV's asking price, but I object to paying double the bike's cost in fees anyway.

Most of the advice I'm getting is to cut my losses and sell it. I could turn a profit doing it, easy. I just don't like screwing someone else (or allowing the state to do so?). I'm probably just too nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
I don't see how the DMV can ask for back fees from a new owner. I know they do and can try but......

First, I'd see about a statement of facts.. It is a DMV form. You are a new owner and it was a basket case..

AAA is a lot easier to talk with. I have had good luck with some DMV supervisors too.. Research non op status.

Good Luck!
I read over the statement of facts and am wondering: Do I have it right to think that this handy little form can negate those fees? It says "It has not been driven... on any California public highway to cause registration fees to come due." The guy I bought it from was clear in saying that it's been parked in his garage for the last 6 years, more or less untouched. Does that mean I could get them to waive the fees?

Great information spafxer, thanks a ton. I know what I'm doing monday.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,193
I highly doubt you will get DMV to drop and or lower the fees...bottom line is the registration was not payed or no-op'ed so moneys are owed..it dont matter if it was ridden or not......and selling a bike with $600 will be hard unless you sell it real cheap....but even if you pay the fees you are only in the thing like a grand..if it is a clean bike that is not bad at all.
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

re: the statement of facts.... If the bike has ever been ticketed on the road without registration, that is proof the fees are due as far as the state is concerned. Really the sellers problem. But he has your cash, i know.

I'm not saying to sue the previous owner though since most likely there is no ticket and you just made the bike road worthy again. It really is his problem, but like smog checks Buyers usually take the sale as is and the law is clear. "Smog before sale" on cars of course.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
'Rett Butler
Happily Married

Oddometer: 1,066
I doubt Arizona cares about it not being registered for awhile in CA. If you have a friend over here you could register it in Arizona for $25 (plus emissions in Maricopa) then register it back in California a month later. Since it hasn't been register in CA (or anywhere) for 6 years they can't accuse you of washing the title.

California is so fcked up. I sold a 93 DR350 to a guy in CA and he couldn't register it because it didn't have enough miles.
'Rett Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:

Good Luck!

spafxer is on the right track, but you have to be creative and relentless to succeed in CA these days. I only register my bikes out-of-state, but you need a physical and mailing address to do that. You never have to worry about the back fees in NV, AZ OR UT. Utah requires an inspection that costs $9. and the title showing the transfer from the PO to you. Bill of sale is nice, but I generate those when they don't exist....

If it was me trying this in CA, I'd go the route that I bought the bike as a basket case so of course it wasn't registered by the PO. And see where that adventure takes you. Or find a friend in Vegas.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Maliwal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Rett Butler View Post
I doubt Arizona cares about it not being registered for awhile in CA. If you have a friend over here you could register it in Arizona for $25 (plus emissions in Maricopa) then register it back in California a month later. Since it hasn't been register in CA (or anywhere) for 6 years they can't accuse you of washing the title.

California is so fcked up. I sold a 93 DR350 to a guy in CA and he couldn't register it because it didn't have enough miles.
Unfortunately, my only out-of-state options are Montana and Texas, and Texas doesn't seem like a good idea since they require annual inspections. Lol and driving to Montana could cost me more in gas than I'd save by circumventing the CA DMV fees.

Quote:
re: the statement of facts.... If the bike has ever been ticketed on the road without registration, that is proof the fees are due as far as the state is concerned. Really the sellers problem. But he has your cash, i know.

I'm not saying to sue the previous owner though since most likely there is no ticket and you just made the bike road worthy again. It really is his problem, but like smog checks Buyers usually take the sale as is and the law is clear. "Smog before sale" on cars of course.
He was a pretty cool guy, I've dealt with him in the past and I think he'll be willing to work with me on this. I'm thinking I may be able to take a salvage title on it since it was non-operational when I bought it. It just wasn't registered Non-Op. But I'm not sure if I'd still have to pay the back fees if I registered it as salvage.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,433
If you have already started the process at DMV you are dead in the water, it's on the computer.

If not another way around is if the bike was 'in dealer inventory' as dealers are not required to post a cert of non-op whilst vehicle is in inventory. So you need a dealer to state on a statement of facts that is was inventory for the time period. I was a dealer, I've done this. Trouble is 'fees' are still due, just no penalties and it's the pens that add up.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Boy, California is messed up. In Arizona, if the vehicle hasn't been on the road in the past however many years, you don't have to pay those back fees. As long as nobody got cited on that bike during the reported non operational period, there's no way to prove that it was on the road.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,093
maybe go in to the DMV early and ask to speak with a manager.. sometimes they can be of help

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
Maliwal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
If you have already started the process at DMV you are dead in the water, it's on the computer.

If not another way around is if the bike was 'in dealer inventory' as dealers are not required to post a cert of non-op whilst vehicle is in inventory. So you need a dealer to state on a statement of facts that is was inventory for the time period. I was a dealer, I've done this. Trouble is 'fees' are still due, just no penalties and it's the pens that add up.
I did actually go in to the DMV, which is where I learned about the insane cost of the fees. But before I left, the guy who I was talking to said that he deleted all the information 'it never happened' was his phrasing. So kudos to him, if that's true. I bought it from a private party though, so I'm not sure if a dealer would jump at that. I don't know anyone, at any rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Boy, California is messed up. In Arizona, if the vehicle hasn't been on the road in the past however many years, you don't have to pay those back fees. As long as nobody got cited on that bike during the reported non operational period, there's no way to prove that it was on the road.
It almost looks like it might work that way here, too. But I won't know until tomorrow morning, at best. AAA here I come. If they can't help then I'm not really sure what I'm going to do.

If nothing else works, I'll go back to the DMV at try to get a manager. That's been suggested to me a couple of times, so there's got to be some merit to the idea. Thanks folks, I'll let y'all know how it turns out when I do get it resolved.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Just remember 2 things not all supervisors are the same, and "basket case"

I agree no personal information until the basket case statement of facts is approved....