ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #46
Maliwal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
It lives!

Hey again folks, if anyone's still listening =o

Got my new carb in the mail the day before yesterday, got new jets in it yesterday, and spent most of yesterday and today making a custom choke cable since the nifty knob my buddy Mike gifted me won't fit this new carb and making a rather complex throttle cover / throttle cable bracket combo.

My documenting skills have fallen prey once more to a lack of forethought... A.K.A. I completely forgot to take pictures of the construction process. However, it runs! Almost like it should too =D Lol What I mean by that is it's in need of fine tuning, it's experiencing a loss of power at full throttle, it chokes and tries to die. I blame fuel mixture since it smells really rich.
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #47
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
xt

Hello,
Rode my xt225 from Dana Point to Eagle Id. 2 summers ago. Up coast to Carmel then east over Ebbits Pass 9,000 ft., covered in snow!!! Back home through Nev on Great Basin Hwy 93. Then to Vegas and home on I-15. Geared it up and 100 miles north of Vegas temp was 103, winds 35-40 mph. No faster than 38 in 3rd. put in 4th and with the wind and my fat ass it would shut down. Into the emergency lane every time a car or truck would almost run me over. It is 2" lower than the other lanes so is was like MXing for 200 miles. Terrible ride home from Vegas but great ride overall. 2.5 weeks 2500 miles.
Trucked my tw200 to Eagle Id. last summer and rode with friend, xt225, to Yellowstone, Tetons and back to Eagle. 1750 miles camping, for 10 days, great fun. Sweetheart said no more adventures unless get bigger and safer bike for freeways so now have dr650, great bike but smaller bikes are WAY better for me off road.
Freind came down from Id and we rode from Dana To Julian and Anza-Borrego. Camped and got up to ride up Coyote Cyn.
4 sections of big rock uphill, he made it on his xt, no problem. I fell 3 times going up and once going down!!!! YIKES.
Just got stiffer spring and am trying again. xts are great. Keep yours and have a blast plus 75 mpg.

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #48
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
I know you guys love your XT225's ... I only wish I could share your enthusiasm. In easy dirt going they work fine for just putting along at moderate pace in easy off road conditions. I've ridden my buddies wife's bike around in the Mojave and it did pretty good on well groomed trails and Desert roads.

Rode another friends XT225 Serow on some fast two lane twisties and I had a hard time keeping up with the group. (Mostly KLR's. DR's, a couple GS's) I swapped back with the owner who was on my DR650. He ended up buying a BMW F650GS after that, sold off his XT225.
(I tried to warn him!! )

YES! the DR650 is tougher to handle off road, but I would not give up. There is a way to ride the DR650 off road (within reason of course ... it's no moto crosser or Trials bike!)

I came from an XR250 to my DR650. I sort of had to re-learn dirt riding on the big DR. With some practice and change of techniques, I now do pretty good. Nothing knarly mind you and most at moderate pace, but with good knobbies and suspension work, the DR works pretty well ... even in deep Baja sand! (this really surprised me!!)

And of course, on road it rocks. My DR did great on the several Baja rides I've done ... no, I did not truck the bike to Baja, I rode it down from SF Bay Area ... and back. Once there I did some off road. (mild stuff) Not bad at all ... and I could still cruise at 80 mph on highway!

Nice ride out to Moab, UT from SF Bay Area ... not in a truck. Rode Moab for a week, then rode the bike back.

Following the Baja 1000 course near Loreto, BC. I rode the DR650 there ... and back from SF Bay Area. Bike now at 45,000 miles.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #49
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,
Rode my xt225 from Dana Point to Eagle Id. 2 summers ago. Up coast to Carmel then east over Ebbits Pass 9,000 ft., covered in snow!!! Back home through Nev on Great Basin Hwy 93. Then to Vegas and home on I-15. Geared it up and 100 miles north of Vegas temp was 103, winds 35-40 mph. No faster than 38 in 3rd. put in 4th and with the wind and my fat ass it would shut down. Into the emergency lane every time a car or truck would almost run me over. It is 2" lower than the other lanes so is was like MXing for 200 miles. Terrible ride home from Vegas but great ride overall. 2.5 weeks 2500 miles.
Trucked my tw200 to Eagle Id. last summer and rode with friend, xt225, to Yellowstone, Tetons and back to Eagle. 1750 miles camping, for 10 days, great fun. Sweetheart said no more adventures unless get bigger and safer bike for freeways so now have dr650, great bike but smaller bikes are WAY better for me off road.
Freind came down from Id and we rode from Dana To Julian and Anza-Borrego. Camped and got up to ride up Coyote Cyn.
4 sections of big rock uphill, he made it on his xt, no problem. I fell 3 times going up and once going down!!!! YIKES.
Just got stiffer spring and am trying again. xts are great. Keep yours and have a blast plus 75 mpg.

Heirhead
You fell while off-roading?!?!?! Oh my. Unheard of.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote