User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
mcma111 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,642
Painting a Plastic Gas Tank

Forgive me if this has previously been addressd but I searched and couldn't find an answer.

My buddy has a black Clarke tank on his XR650l and he wants to paint it. Black. Go figure. I have told him that based on what I have heard and experienced with tank graphics in the past that the paint will not stick.

Am I correct or is there a method to get paint to stick on a plastic gas tank? Do tell.

Thanks.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Krylon has their Fusion line for plastic. Depends on his expectations of quality using a rattle can.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
mcma111 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Doh. I thought I was in the Garage section.

Mods, Please move this thread.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,258
Try this stuff...

While repainting case lids that had been scuffed down to the original PLASTIC moulding...professional paint supply Company recommended this....promotes adhesion between plastic and paint. Works like a charm. Highly recommended. Search the web for more details about the product.

OK...here's a link: http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=1&prodid=56

Photobucket
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,258
Thumb

Ooooo! I need a can of that!

Now where to get it....

Automotive Parts Headquarters - St. Cloud
Keystone Automotive - DBA NECO -Minneapolis
Uni-Select USA - St. Paul
Zitco-A1 Automotive Warehouse - Edina

$17 + a can?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFsQ8gIwBQ#

D.T. screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 08:43 AM
D.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Forgive me if this has previously been addressd but I searched and couldn't find an answer.

My buddy has a black Clarke tank on his XR650l and he wants to paint it. Black. Go figure. I have told him that based on what I have heard and experienced with tank graphics in the past that the paint will not stick.

Am I correct or is there a method to get paint to stick on a plastic gas tank? Do tell.

Thanks.
I have good things about the Krylon Fusion too but I here that gas will take the paint off if spilled.

I have painted a few old beaters with normal paint before. I just scuffed it up with a scotchbrite pad , Cleaned it a couple time with thinner and used a light coat of primer. It will come off in spots but a quick touch-up with a rattle can and its good to go.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:

Thanks.

Paint will stick to the tank no problem, but as any HDPE plastic tank which hasnt been specially processed during manufacture, will be permeated by petrol fumes, then before long the paint will lift and fall off.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
mcma111 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Paint will stick to the tank no problem, but as any HDPE plastic tank which hasnt been specially processed during manufacture, will be permeated by petrol fumes, then before long the paint will lift and fall off.
That's EXACTLY what I thought. No solution eh?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
granty
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:

Thanks.
Hi,if it's any help, it's not the painting on the outside of the tank thats a problem,
it's sealing the inside of a plastic tank,go to sealing plastic tank in garage forum,
might be of some help?
granty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Paint on plastic tanks that werent painted originally is a non starter. There are all sorts of ridiculous suggestions relating to how to seal plastic and GRP tanks internally, but this is pretty much like trying to glue something to the inside of a teflon coated frying pan, after you have just cooked something in it, and its still coated with cooking oil.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
malokam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
First hand experience here. Dont try to paint without sealing the inside. I have an IMS for my DR that I tried to paint.
I have painted my whole bike with Krylon and it holds up REALLY well on the outside and I have a rattlecan Rustoleum clear coating that holds up to even gas spills. The outside is not a problem, however, permeating gas from the inside is.

For plastic tanks you have a better chance with this product. However, I personally havent tested it and I cant guarentee its gonna work. If it is a Brand new tank, you have a better chance of sealing it and thats all I can say.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...nk-sealer.html

Dont have pics of bubbling up but this is what I did. And I had a leaky petcock which stripped the paint off the left side.

And then decided to just get bedliner. It bubble up once in a while and I pierce it and pull the air out. Been working for me for the past 7-8 months. I went with the textured bedliner but you can go with plain finish.
Do use Adhesive promoter if you are going the bedliner way.

I have also seen other plastic tanks being bedlined and holding up decently on the internet. Hope that helps.

2007 DR650 SuperMoto with almost all the goodies..(it never ends ya know!)
Take a look at my cool sticker-bombing project
malokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

As I said there are plenty of weird and wonderful solutions for sealing plastic tanks, none of which are likely to work.................
Old 02-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
malokam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
As I said there are plenty of weird and wonderful solutions for sealing plastic tanks, none of which are likely to work.................
While I agree to some extent, I have to say the following.

I dont mean it in a sarcastic way, but every thread/webpage I lookup for this had blunt comments like yours "It doesnt work". But no one ever does a review or documented experience that says, ""Caswell epoxy doesnt work, I tried it".
Or "product X has been tested by me and this $hits the bomb"

Even now, I can show you 100s of pages that just dismiss the idea of Krylon on plastics stating the idea that it wont hold up against gas spills. Well, on my bike it has been 8ish months since the first piece of plastic was painted and I had numerous gas spills and it hasnt peeled off yet. (Not the tank mind you, Im talking about other plastics)

Now that I have first hand experience with gas permeating, I can state that, YES, it happens and just painting a plastic tank would be disastrous.

My point being if someone tried a plastic tank sealer out there, please report on the product you tried and what kind of result you got. Once again, sorry if the response was offensive.

2007 DR650 SuperMoto with almost all the goodies..(it never ends ya know!)
Take a look at my cool sticker-bombing project
malokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malokam View Post
While I agree to some extent, I have to say the following.

I dont mean it in a sarcastic way, but every thread/webpage I lookup for this had blunt comments like yours "It doesnt work". But no one ever does a review or documented experience that says, ""Caswell epoxy doesnt work, I tried it".
Or "product X has been tested by me and this $hits the bomb"

Even now, I can show you 100s of pages that just dismiss the idea of Krylon on plastics stating the idea that it wont hold up against gas spills. Well, on my bike it has been 8ish months since the first piece of plastic was painted and I had numerous gas spills and it hasnt peeled off yet. (Not the tank mind you, Im talking about other plastics)

Now that I have first hand experience with gas permeating, I can state that, YES, it happens and just painting a plastic tank would be disastrous.

My point being if someone tried a plastic tank sealer out there, please report on the product you tried and what kind of result you got. Once again, sorry if the response was offensive.

See if you can get any of the so called tank "sealers" to stick to a teflon coated frying pan. If you can find anything that does, then you have the ideal product to seal plastic tanks.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
mcma111 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok gang. I appreciate all of the input so far but I think I'm gonna tell my buddy that painting a plastic gas tank is a no-go. The tank in question is used so the idea of getting a sealer to stick is doubtful. Since he's a bit of a hard head I'm sure he will disregard my recommendations and paint the tank anyway at which point I can pull out the I TOLD YOU SO card.

Thanks, Steve

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs