Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
malokam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Ok gang. I appreciate all of the input so far but I think I'm gonna tell my buddy that painting a plastic gas tank is a no-go. The tank in question is used so the idea of getting a sealer to stick is doubtful. Since he's a bit of a hard head I'm sure he will disregard my recommendations and paint the tank anyway at which point I can pull out the I TOLD YOU SO card.

Thanks, Steve
Yeah, probably a good move since its not you who is painting the tank.
If he doesnt care about a little bit of bubbling up here and there over time, he can try bed liner.

2007 DR650 SuperMoto with almost all the goodies..(it never ends ya know!)
Take a look at my cool sticker-bombing project
malokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
malokam
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
See if you can get any of the so called tank "sealers" to stick to a teflon coated frying pan. If you can find anything that does, then you have the ideal product to seal plastic tanks.
Again, no disrespect but I just wanted to see some documentation/prrof that anyone tried it first-hand and not a statement "Its not going to work"

I have stickerbombed plastics and metal tank that are going to go on my bike in a week or so. I will definitely try one of the products on my plastic IMS and report with results.

The Caswell product I linked before looks better promising than any other stuff IMO

Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Caswell epoxy is resistant to efuels, but its also very brittle, and even if you could get it to stick to the inside of a plastic tank (quite impossible), then unless you were somehow able to get a uniform film thickness of 4-5mm over the entire inside surface, then before very long the "sealer" would crack and fall off, in just the same way as it does when used on GRP tanks.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
malokam
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Caswell epoxy is resistant to efuels, but its also very brittle, and even if you could get it to stick to the inside of a plastic tank (quite impossible), then unless you were somehow able to get a uniform film thickness of 4-5mm over the entire inside surface, then before very long the "sealer" would crack and fall off, in just the same way as it does when used on GRP tanks.
Thanks. So any other suggestions that "MIGHT" work by a long shot?

Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

There are some industrial sealers used in the aircraft industry, which remain flexible when fully cured, but I would imagine the cost is likely to be more than a new tank. Why not get a tank cover made for the bike? These can be made pretty cheaply, and will smarten up any bike with a tatty looking plastic tank.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #21
malokam
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
There are some industrial sealers used in the aircraft industry, which remain flexible when fully cured, but I would imagine the cost is likely to be more than a new tank. Why not get a tank cover made for the bike? These can be made pretty cheaply, and will smarten up any bike with a tatty looking plastic tank.
Tank Cover eh!.. hmmm...... Ideas ideas ideas... I might look into that. Thx.

As I said before, I tried all that just because I was told it was not possible but no one said that out of first hand experience or at least failed to show me enough evidence otherwise. But I am very happy with my plastics except for the tank. Which is still fine, because I waste about 2 minutes or so every month pinching the couple of bubbles that form and letting the air out.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #22
domains
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
kralon paint
domains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #23
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,340
Caswell epoxy is great for metal tanks but as mentioned it sets brittle and would break up in a plastic gas tank especially with the odd fall here and there .

Having said that I did use it in a side auxiliary tank with great success , these tanks are pretty thick , small and don't flex like a main tank would .

Now this is interesting , I put stickers on that auxilliary tank and they bubbled so gas also weeps through the Caswell .I have looked in the tank and there are no cracks or faults !
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
skrub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
I dont think anything can make it through the Caswell. I would believe the plastic is permeated with fuel and vapors will exit for a some time.
skrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #25
malokam
Gnarly Adventurer

+1 What ^ this guy said.

And, also, aux tanks have pressure building up unless you open them. At least the main tanks are covered for the venting pressure part.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #26
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,340
I have had this tank on for over a year and stickers still bubble .

I am using this tank on a FI bike so the front tank is sealed and the auxiliary is the one with the vent . The vacuum caused by the in tank fuel pump is what pulls the fuel through to the main tank.
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #27
rideaholic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
I used flat black Krylon Fusion plastic paint on the plastics and metal tank of a bike. The plastic parts did well, but the metal gas tank paint blemished easily with any spilled gas. I even used a clear coat Krylon Fusion over the paint the second time I did it. The clear helped some but just never worked as well as I would have liked.

I doubt Krylon Fusion plastic paint would do very well on a plastic gas tank.

I like the cover idea. Anyone have any pics of someone that has done that? Where would one get a cover made? Upholsterer?
rideaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #28
cuonawv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Painting a Plastic Gas Tank

Given any thought to dyeing the tank?

We did this often to our plastic kayaks without an issue. After a few dye jobs, the pink kayak looked factory dark blue(ish).. (ok, deep mauve, but much better than bright pink!)

There are plenty of pro kits out there and even some rattle can type applicators.

We did it the cheap way and used rit dye and a very little bit of diluted acetone. Brushed on and immediately washed off w/ fresh clean water..

2012 F800GS
cuonawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #29
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaholic View Post
I used flat black Krylon Fusion plastic paint on the plastics and metal tank of a bike. The plastic parts did well, but the metal gas tank paint blemished easily with any spilled gas. I even used a clear coat Krylon Fusion over the paint the second time I did it. The clear helped some but just never worked as well as I would have liked.

I doubt Krylon Fusion plastic paint would do very well on a plastic gas tank.

I like the cover idea. Anyone have any pics of someone that has done that? Where would one get a cover made? Upholsterer?
The cover is really the only thing that will work on plastic...........a good car trimming place should be able to make one, but would obviously need the tank to work to.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #30
AndyCBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Caswell doesn't work long term

Guys,

I too had the idea of trying to get decals to stick to a plastic tank.

Brand new clarke tank properly prepped per Caswell's instructions.

2.5 years later the entire lining is delaminating and the decals are coming off the tank.

Basically ruined a good tank as who knows how long it will take for all of the caswell to sheet off and/or will the chunks get small enough to clog up the fuel inlet.

If you have a plastic tank any decal/paint/liner will be temporary.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

AndyCBR screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 08:44 AM
AndyCBR is offline   Reply With Quote