Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #31
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
Thank you so much for the kind offer Gale!! Actually I liked Jasper so much that I returned during Christmas/New Years again.
WOW, I can totally understand. Did you ski Marmot Basin ski area there in Jasper??? Many stories here for I took all my PE classes from Valemount to Marmot Basin for their ski lesson for 24 years

You must go back in warmer weather and do the boat trip on Maligne Lake just out of Jasper and then THEN do Miete HOT SPRINGS about half way east towards Hinton . The hot springs are great plus 10

got lots /too many stories to share

stay warm, gale

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572583
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #32
Tony P
Doddery Old Fart

Oddometer: 205
Sasho, HI.
Great photos, write up and all. I will be following you daily.

I was in Bourbon Street bar again last night. A bit more wild than our visit - two girls dancing on the bar, one with the band the other impromptu among those sitting there. Eventually one was topless.

Terrible - I felt I had to go home.
So I did ...

... about 3 hours later!

http://theinternationalpotatoe.wordp...nd-live-bands/

Keep well, Mate.
Tony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #33
sasho OP
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
WOW, I can totally understand. Did you ski Marmot Basin ski area there in Jasper???
Hi Gale:

I was dog mushing in BC for a week, and then went back through Jasper on the way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
You must go back in warmer weather and do the boat trip on Maligne Lake just out of Jasper and then THEN do Miete HOT SPRINGS about half way east towards Hinton . The hot springs are great plus 10
I will definitely have to do that, thanks for the tips!! I can't get enough of that area and will definitely return .
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #34
sasho OP
Dual Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
Sasho, HI.
Great photos, write up and all. I will be following you daily.
Thanks for the compliments Tony, it is so great to hear from you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
I was in Bourbon Street bar again last night. A bit more wild than our visit - two girls dancing on the bar, one with the band the other impromptu among those sitting there. Eventually one was topless.

Terrible - I felt I had to go home.
So I did ...

... about 3 hours later!
That's awesome Tony, we should plan a get together again. I will be in Moscow on March 25th for about 10 days.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #35
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Maligne Lake, http://www.malignelake.com/ your heart beat will slow down, you will enjoy awesome peace and quiet using the canoes, the mountains abound in wild life, the scenery is un believeable , need I say more. Spirit Island is one of the most photographed scenes in Canada.

I try to visit this place each time I ride back this way. Many of my ole 'jocks' are now adults with snow cats ski trips, river rafts, and pack trips.

Did you get to see in the Tete Jaune area the 50 pound chinook salmon spawning??

enjoy, gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #36
Shmandy
Fat guy riding!

Oddometer: 50
Subscribed!

This is a great ride report and cant wait to see more pics

It is a dream of mine to make an alaska ride, but for now I settle for reading about others.

Keep it coming!

-Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life
Shmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #37
BUMOT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
Thanks brother Maybe I can coerse dogger54 to come and ride in
Bulgaria
You are Welcome.
BUMOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #38
sasho OP
Dual Personality

Day 3--May 16

Once I got up the next morning, I checked whether the bear helped himself to some part of me. The bear passed on the opportunity, but the mosquitoes didn't miss out!!

For this day the plan was to get to the famous Alaska Highway—starting in Dawson Creek, and stretching all the way to the Pacific.

On the way we passed through Grand Prairie, whether Kathy and Mitch lived. We felt pressed for time and didn't call, which I regret—they were just awesome. In short, we gassed up and looked for the way out. Grand Prairie turned out to be quite big with dense traffic, and on top of that the temperature was around 90-100F. In Montana was still snowing

We managed to leave Grand Prairie, although it seemed like forever...

Once we entered British Columbia again we took a picture of the welcome sign:

We turned around and took a picture of Alberta too:

Finally we arrived in Dawson Creek, where we stopped for a photo op at the famous mile 0:

A guy in a minivan pulled off the road and stopped to say hello. He was driving a minivan full of kids and was dying to talk to us. Also a rider .

We introduced ourselves—he was amazed how we have decided to travel that far, and gave us some excellent tips. One of them was to take a small detour and see the historic Alaska highway, where we can ride the longest curved trestle bridge in the world. We had to go there, especially since it was recommended from a local who readily welcomed travelers:

We rode back and forth, please excuse our shenanigans:

Dogger54 took a picture of me riding the bridge, but I haven't uploaded it.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #39
sasho OP
Dual Personality

Day 3--May 16 continued

Riding the bridge woke our appetite and we started looking for food—we hadn't stopped to eat all day.

We stopped in Fort St John on the Alaska Highway after Dawson Creek. Of course, I had to ensure the beer supply. We stopped at a liqueur store, where a can of beer was $7, ouch!!! I asked the kind lady behind the counter where two hungry, dirty and thirsty motorcyclists can eat, and she recommended Tony Roma's Restaurant. Well, once we walked in, Tony Roma's turned to be a place for a good ol' fashioned, sit-down, dress-up dinner. We sat down anyway—moreover the waitress looked like a doll and she batted her dark eyes in a way that made me forget where we were going... Sadly no photo (fail on my part), but I haven't forgotten.

Afterwards we headed to look for a place to spend the night. We looked around for a while, and that's how we got to Wonowon—we even tuned around to a place that appeared to be a truck camp along the road—trailers that passed as a hotel. Dirty and tired, to us the place looked like a paradise.

We stopped our bikes in front of the trailer with a neon sign that made it appear to be an office, and a guy walked out. Before we managed to say anything, he says: “Guys, you're on motorcycles, so half price for you, and that includes anything you can eat in our kitchen which is opened 24 hours.” Half price came to $40 each, and we jumped on it. Throw in a shower and Wifi, what more could we want? We paid cash and got settled:

Life is good, oh yeah!!!

Oh yeah some more!!!

Some stats from Day 3:

Old 03-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #40
dogger54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Day 3

THE LAND OF BEYOND

Have you ever heard of the Land of Beyond,
That dreams at the gates of the day?
Alluring it lies at the skirts of the skies,
And ever so far away;
Alluring it calls: O ye the yoke galls,
And ye of the trail overfond,
With saddle and pack, by paddle and track,
Let’s go to the Land of Beyond!

Have ever you stood where the silences brood,
And vast the horizons begin,
At the dawn of the day to behold far away
The goal you would strive for and win?
Yet ah! In the night when you gain to the height,
With the vast pool of heaven star-spawned,
Afar and agleam, like a valley of dream,
Still mocks you a Land of Beyond.

Thank God! There is always a Land of Beyond
For us who are true to the trail;
A vision to seek, a beckoning peak,
A fairness that never will fail;
A pride in our soul that mocks at a goal,
A manhood that irks at a bond,
And try how we will, unattainable still,
Behold it, our Land of Beyond!

Robert Service

After leaving our campsite just outside Pocahontas we turned north onto Hwy 40 for a great roller coaster ride to Grande Cache.

We stopped here in Grande Cache for some fuel

After taking this picture I dropped my bike again…this time while trying to climb on...lucky Sasho was there to help me get it righted.

The difference in weather since we crossed the US-Canada border was amazing, we had expected the rain and snow that was happening in Montana but by the time we arrived at Grande Prairie we were cooking in typically mid summer heat.

Another picture at the BC border

Sasho on the Kiskatinaw bridge

Some info about the bridge

Not to be outdone by Sasho, I guess I’ll have to show you what I had for lunch at Tony Roma’s, very tasty

When we got to the Wonowon area we noticed a number of signs advertising "Open Camps" this was a new one for us so we weren’t sure what they were about…entering Wonowon there was one that looked like a mass of modulars butted up to one another to form a massive complex…it didn’t look very inviting so we passed it by, at the other end of town there was this one that we drove by and then not seeing anything up ahead turned around and went back…a great choice.

We each had a bedroom with a queen bed…lots of space to spread out and get comfortable.

Turns out the oil industry is working heavily in the area and these camps spring up to house the workers…in the gold rush days the businesses "mined" the miners…here they mine the oil companies. There can be different rates for oil workers vs. non-oil workers.

We arrived the day before the camp shut down for the spring break-up, this is when the large trucks aren’t allowed to travel the roads in order to protect the road surfaces…I believe the shutdown lasts for a couple weeks, maybe more.

The camp had an open kitchen that allowed us to eat all we wanted at any time. Because the camp was shutting down, we were asked to take as much food as we could carry…it was painful to go through the coolers of deli sandwiches and deserts and to only be able to take a few items due to limited space.

'02 KLR 650, '96 XR200R
'79 Suzuki GS1000EN, '88 XR600R - WOOHOO!!!
dogger54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #41
sasho OP
Dual Personality

Day 4--May 17

This day started slow thanks to me attending to my morning caffeine addiction (I can drink coffee for hours), but turned out to be quite the celebration by the end... In many ways I feel that this was the day defining the entire trip.

Cyle (that's dogger54 in real life) went out to get some breakfast. When he got back, I decided from what he said that the kitchen is not to be missed and went there myself, wanting coffee. There I met Doug, the guy who welcomed us the previous evening, and also Julie, his girlfriend. Cyle at some point rejoined us in the kitchen and we all took a photo together:

Of course they asked us about our travels. After I mentioned Jack London, Doug told us stories from time ago when he was a prospector in Dawson. What an incredible story teller!!! Supposedly he still keeps 500 ounces back home. We listened to tales about grizzly bears encounters in camp, and together remembered Jack London's writings. Having lived in Dawson, Doug offered his own perspective.

Upon leaving, Doug and Julie invited us to take all the food and drinks we want. Uhm, we'll take a sub? Being on bikes, we couldn't carry much. A slight drizzle started when we left. We filled up in Wonowon, and headed West on the Alcan. Seventy miles later we stopped at a gas stop in the middle of nowhere to top off, not knowing where we could get gas again, and still remembering the close call through Jasper... That's where we met Joe from California, who was pulling a boat on his way to Soldotna, AK. We started talking with Joe, and he told us that he has a friend in Soldotna who is a guide and can take us fishing in his boat. Then while Cyle was filling up, I talked to a guy who worked there. With the drizzle still persisting and the temps a bit chilly for a day's ride, he asked me whether we were cold and invited us inside for coffee and cookies. I was telling him that back home in Montana we ride when the temperature is in the 20's. He looked at me sideways a bit weird, but I didn't put it together. Much later down the road I realized that he was thinking 20C.

Anyway, we continued through the drizzle. Sometime during this morning I put my rain gear for the first time. Not long after our last stop we pulled to the side of the road again, but this time to take photos of mother and calf moose. That was the first time for me I've seen a moose. As we were gawking at mother and calf, a guy from Alabama riding a Harley stopped to ask us if we are OK. Cyle just pointed at the moose, and the guy from Alabama laughed and said that he also sees moose for the first time. Meet Dicky, aka Captain Coonass, and the moose on the other side of the road:

Soon the drizzle stopped. The sun was shining bright once we arrived in Fort Nelson. While we were filling up, we met with Joe again (the guy pulling the boat). Dicky arrived as well before too long, and we started talking with him too. Then a guy living in Fort Nelson stopped his truck--he told us that he just sold his KLR either the previous day or that morning. Short story long, we were having conversations with people left and right for at least 2 hours:

While talking with Joe at the gas station, we found out that he also planned to stop at Liard Hot Springs for the night. Dicky agreed to join us there too.

Joe drove ahead with the intent to secure a camping spot. He left, and we talked to people some more...

Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #42
sasho OP
Dual Personality

Day 4--May 17 (continued)

It is a small miracle that we eventually got out of Fort Nelson where we really enjoyed ourselves just talking to people and making friends non-stop and continued towards Toad River:

At one point I was falling asleep and Cyle had to put up with my shenanigans as I was trying to stay awake:

We saw Dall sheep ((http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dall_sheep) along the road and stopped to take photos. Initially there was only one by the road, then a second came out, then they started coming out in bunches!!!

We went over a steel bridge, the first one on the trip. The photo is courtesy of Cyle:

We got to Toad River where we filled gas again:

After that we checked out the painted particle boards:

We cheered Captain Coonass who arrived in style before too long:

We were happy to see him and decided to ride ahead together.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #43
sasho OP
Dual Personality

Day 4--May 17 (continued)

Muncho Lake was incredible, although still frozen:

If anyone here is missing keys I can tell you where I found them:

Bighorn Sheep, we have them near Missoula as well. They come down to the road to lick the salt:

This guy doesn't mess around with licking:

Short story long, the scenery and the wildlife were incredible everywhere. We enjoyed the twisties on the road too.

Finally we got to Liard Hot Springs. Upon arrival, the gal at the gate who turned out to be German, asked us: "Do you know a guy with a boat?" Of course that's Joe!! She said: "He bought a campground spot for you, go right ahead". What a guy!!! We went to look for him, and he was already waiting for us with beers:

Getting settled for the night:

Dicky carried a big knife--I am surprised that he got through the Canadian border with it. He says that nobody asked him:

He also carried a shotgun with elephant slugs, made to order.

After we got settled, we went to take a dip in the hot pools. This was the scenery along the way:

The hot pools were awesome. More awesome by the fact that two English girls were already there. AND they were twins :

We stayed there quite a while:

Soon it was getting dark and we headed back:

Dicky stayed at the campground, he got the fire going. Joe decided to show these southerners how to make a fire:

Joe's cargo:

Turns out he is an airline pilot, who during his time off in the summer guides fishing tours in Alaska. Incredible guy, if anyone is in Soldotna during the summer look him up. This is his add in the Yellow pages:

I started asking him details, wanting to spend some time fishing on the Kenai. Unfortunately he was only taking this boat to the Kenai, and then heading back to California. He gave us the contact info for his friend in Soldotna. Joe and Dicky talked planes for a good while, since Dicky is also a pilot, who flies sea planes.

After a full day of riding, making friends, swimming, and beer drinking, we fell asleep right away :)
I am missing the stats for this day, but maybe Cyle has them.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #44
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,174
Very cool so far. I used to dream of riding to Alaska, but due to paranoid delusion created by the US government, I will get the chance, as I cannot get a passport, so I will never get across the Canadian border. I will live vicariously though RR like this.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #45
dogger54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Day 4

Ok, Sasho doesn’t eat breakfast but nothing happens until he has his morning coffee. The morning coffee ritual is pretty elaborate and unfortunately I didn’t get any pictures during the trip, but for reference here he is during one of our field trips…a first class cup of coffee.

I don’t drink coffee so I opted for breakfast, sorry about the focus. Two big slabs of french toast topped with maple syrup and blue berries, ham, and bacon plus a glass of milk…all included in the price of the room.

Doug has been a chef for 19 years and a mighty fine one he is.

After my close brush with running out of gas I became paranoid about passing up a gas station…after a short run out of Wonowon we stopped here for fuel

Gas was $1.76 per litre, this works out to $6.66 per gallon…the highest we paid for gas on the trip - remember what I said about mining the oil companies.

An over-the-shoulder shot of Sasho

Some scenery on the way to Summit Lake where we saw the sheep.

The road between Summit Lake and Toad River was a great roller coaster ride.

Here’s some information about Toad River

Sasho clowning for the camera

The Toad River Sentinel

We learned that a young lady had rolled her vehicle up ahead so we waited at Toad River for a bit. The lady was brought in and interviewed…she had a few abrasions but looked to be in good shape otherwise…she had been pushing while tired and had fallen asleep. As we pulled out of Toad River the vehicle was being towed in by a tractor…the roof was caved in.

It was great catching up with Joe at Liard

Here’s supper, sandwiches courtesy of the Wonowon camp and Mirror Ponds courtesy of Joe

The camp site

We were very lucky again, turns out that the coming weekend was the celebration of the Queen’s birthday and from tomorrow through the weekend all camp sites were reserved.

Sasho, Joe and I hit the hot springs

The mosquitoes were relentless, they would attack our heads as we sat neck deep in the spring.

It was awesome getting to spend time with Joe and Dicky…these guys were full of entertaining stories.

Dicky’s a float plane pilot from Mobile Alabama and has been dreaming of this trip for years…he had a wall in his home dedicated to Alaska so he wouldn’t loose site of the dream…his friends often gave him grief telling him the trip was a pipe dream. This year he decided he was going to do it…went into his boss and told him he was going to be gone for a few weeks…his boss said he may not have a job when he got back. Dicky was undeterred, if he lost his job he would ride Alaska and the US until his credit cards maxed out. That’s the spirit!

Some stats for the day

'02 KLR 650, '96 XR200R
'79 Suzuki GS1000EN, '88 XR600R - WOOHOO!!!
dogger54 is offline   Reply With Quote