Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #196
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
What is your point?

I just don't see many of them either, but they are out there. I still believe the reason you aren't seeing many Triumphs is simply a matter of how many were/are imported into the USA vs. Jap Big Four, or HD.

I see a few Bonnevilles, a few girlie Tigers, a few older triples when out on rides here in my part of the country. Every now and again, a Daytona.

Steamer Tigers and Daytonas exist in the hundreds in the USA. Bonnevilles are the largest import and they're numbers are in the thousands, not tens of thousands.

I guess if a person lives in an area with a good Triumph dealer, the sightings will be more frequent. I used to work at a Triumph/Ducati/Moto Guzzi dealer (now out of business) in my area and sightings of those brands were very common in our area at the height of our sales in '99/'00/'01. After the dealership closed, the sightings of those bikes on the road locally began to fade. Mainly because it was over 100 miles to the nearest dealer and people just don't want to "risk" owning something without dealership support.

There are several guys who still ride Triumphs everyday around here. I see several guys on Ducatis, then there's a couple of us on Guzzis. This is in the sea of thousands of HDs and metric cruisers, and metric sportsbikes.

So, what was your point? I guess I don't understand it.

First off, sweet Guzzi, but.....those poor, poor Daytonas.

Secondly, I've bought my '98 T595 Daytona new in '00 and I still love the bike after 12 years and I would have no problem going out and buying a new Triumph. Albeit, I would drive/ride 80 miles to Joe's in Dayton, OH instead of 40 miles to Falcone in Indy but I've already bitched about that elsewhere in the thread.

However, I can see how someone who hasn't owned a modern Triumph could be apprehensive about purchasing one at least in my area. Twelve years ago, we had a much better dealer network in Indiana. When I purchased my Daytona there were dealers in Greensburg, Terre Haute, Evansville, Fishers, and one up north (Merrillville?). I purchased it new in May of 2000 and by the spring of 2001 when I went to get my 6k service, the dealer that I purchased from (Thompson's in Terre Haute) dropped Triumph and was only carrying Hondas. Greensburg had dropped all the cool stuff (Bimota, Triumph and Guzzi) and the dealer in Fishers (Guzzi, Triumph, Laverda....oh, the Laverdas) was gone....crazy stuff in just 10 months.

Now it looks like we're down to only Indy and I'm sure other states have had similar situations where there was a decent dealer network and now they're down to one or two dealers. For me I try to stay as far away from the dealer as I can unless I'm ready for a service that includes valve adjustments so I don't care if my dealer is 80 miles away. However, I know some people are obsessed with dealerships and sperg out about every little detail:
  • Is the dealer within 5 miles of my house?
  • Can I hang out in their parking lot on Saturday morning instead of doing something productive or fun?
  • Do they have [insert coffee brand here] in their service area's waiting room?
  • Does the dealer sell my pair of tires for $400 because I'd rather not pay $250 for them elsewhere
  • Do they handle walk-in service appointments in case my mirrors go out of adjustment?
  • Can their staff pass a limited background check so that I can bring my children into the dealership?
So if someone like this wants to purchase a Triumph around here, they had better hope that Falcone can meet all their ridiculous criteria or they can mark Triumph off their list. And that is fine for me. One of the reasons I bought my Triumph was because I didn't want to pass myself on the road all the time.

My suggestion to Tall Man is to buy a Harley if you want to make sure you "fit in" and have a bike just like everyone else on the road.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #197
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Not Appearing View Post
My suggestion to Tall Man is to buy a Harley if you want to make sure you "fit in" and have a bike just like everyone else on the road.

Send him to me. I can help him either way and we have good coffee.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #198
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 990
They breathe, they vote, but they sure as hell can't read. Or comprehend.

OK, you win. I'll purchase a Triumph, or H-D, just because you think I should. Should I get the 1200 Explorer or the XR1200? What color is best?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #199
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post

OK, you win. I'll purchase a Triumph, or H-D, just because you think I should. Should I get the 1200 Explorer or the XR1200? What color is best?
Get the Triumph, Harleys suck
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post

Get the XR1200 in white.

#46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #201
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by #46 View Post
Get the XR1200 in white.
I checked H-D's website, because I've only ever seen the XR1200X in white...at the dealership, and on the road, Even the homepage for the model on the factory website has it pictured in white. It was a surprise to learn that white isn't the only color. That said, I like white on the bike better than I do the other color ("Black Denim").
Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #202
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
This, too me, was the best color scheme.

#46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #203
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,184
I wouldn't buy a race replica sport bike (GSXR, etc.) Something like a Bandit is about as "sporty" as I will ever go. I'm not likely to buy anything with a feet forward riding position either. I have rented a couple of them and I was worn out in a couple of hours from just trying to keep the wind from blowing my feet off the pegs. Give me something in the middle. The bikes I can think of with the ergos I like best are the BMW R1200RT and the Honda NT700V. My old DL1000 was really comfortable too - but I have had 4 new Suzukis and I just don't think I want another one for a while.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #204
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Send him to me. I can help him either way and we have good coffee.
You get the sale and he gets the coffee. Sounds like a win/win situation.

I have been to some decent HD dealers around here. Not my thing, but they really have the dealership thing down pretty well. To me, dealerships are like dentists. I don't care how inviting it is, I just want to get in and out.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #205
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Not Appearing View Post
First off, sweet Guzzi, but.....those poor, poor Daytonas.
Ridden hard by two very good riders. They may not be pretty, but they're durable and reliable and over a dozen years old. Here's one of them with a 1/2 fairing mod, awaiting paint:
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #206
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Ridden hard by two very good riders. They may not be pretty, but they're durable and reliable and over a dozen years old. Here's one of them with a 1/2 fairing mod, awaiting paint:
I dig it. Put some bedliner on it and call it a day.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #207
Johnnie5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubmw View Post
That's right.

These dunder heads can make fun of Harley and their dealers all they want. Fact is Harley is light years ahead of the other makes when it comes to professionalism at the dealership. The Jap bike dealers are still operating under the Moe's chainsaw and small engine repair shop business model and BMW aint far behind. What it really comes down to is Harley treats their product like a viable form of daily transportation and as such there shouldn't be alot of bullshit getting it fixed or parts in stock. Jap/BMW consider their product a toy for adults, so who gives a fuck if it takes us three weeks to fix it or get you a part, it's just a fucking toy.

its funny you should say that

this topic is about what bike would you not buy and a lot of people have come along and said brand x and most times its because of the dealer or service available

things have changed a lot since the old days and there is actually very few 'bad' bikes out there anymore

it comes down to service

back to my point , the HD importer in sydney was NFI along with ducati and a bunch of other brand of bikes and its true they were called NFI for a multitude of reasons ;)

it didnt matter what brand that you owned their parts counter was all the same NFI

fact is its all about service

service and depreciation are prime reasons for not buying a new bike
Johnnie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #208
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,335
I can think of all sorts of bikes I wouldn't own, but I'd happily take anything for a spin if someone tossed me the keys.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #209
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
I can think of all sorts of bikes I wouldn't own, but I'd happily take anything for a spin if someone tossed me the keys.
I'm with you, I'd enjoy RIDING almost anything, what I'd keep is another matter entirely..
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #210
BeerIsGood

Oddometer: n/a
This one: