Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #31
BeerIsGood

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
As compared to what?

Sorry but I am tired of hearing this and other often parroted lies.

If you don't like the brands that is fine... Just dislike them for valid reasons not the tired old outdated bullshit.

If Harley's were so over priced they would not be increasing their market share. Ten years ago it was 48% Now it is 54% Something impossible to do if they were "overpriced"
I thought sales were down 30% for HD. Article follows:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...g-dealerships/
Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #32
jacksgp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Standard bikes only! I would not buy any cruiser or bike that has forward pegs, slightly forward pegs or just a little bit "forward pegs". A standard bike to me is a bike where you can cross your arms and stand up on the pegs.
Harley comes close with their sporster and Victory does also with "the judge" but not close enough IMO.

Come on HD/Victory. Build it and I will buy it.
jacksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #33
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
As compared to what?

Sorry but I am tired of hearing this and other often parroted lies.

If you don't like the brands that is fine... Just dislike them for valid reasons not the tired old outdated bullshit.

If Harley's were so over priced they would not be increasing their market share. Ten years ago it was 48% Now it is 54% Something impossible to do if they were "overpriced"
Perfect response... Just because I can't afford a ________ doesn't mean it's overpriced.. BTW, beerisgood, without reading the link my take is this. Market share can increase even taking into account decreased sales.. Harley just has a larger piece of a smaller pie.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #34
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
Question

[QUOTE=jacksgp;18083354]Standard bikes only! I would not buy any cruiser or bike that has forward pegs, slightly forward pegs or just a little bit "forward pegs". A standard bike to me is a bike where you can cross your arms and stand up on the pegs.
Harley comes close with their sporster and Victory does also with "the judge" but not close enough IMO.

Come on HD/Victory. Build it and I will buy it. The second most parroted line... over the years HD has built numerous performance oriented bikes, special edition sportsters, copies of XR's, FXR variations FXDX/T's. Hell they even bought Buell in response to all of you who said "build it and we'll buy it". In nearly every case YOU did not buy those bikes in large numbers, or if you did your first move was to lower the bike, remove the mid controls in favor of forwards or floorboards, etc. etc. Don't blame HD for building what the market obviously WANTS! (it's what gives them that market share... )/QUOTE]

I would not buy any motorcycle that doesn't have a strong dealer near me or that I can't service myself. I'm limited that way since I live nearly in the middle of nowhere, basically I could own a Harley a Honda, Kawasaki KTM or Yamaha. I might try a smaller KTM Enduro this year. I'm also looking for a Ruckus for my wife, I'd probably run for groceries and pops on that too...

woodnbow screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 06:34 AM Reason: Back to the topic...
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #35
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,439
Moto Guzzi
Aprilia
Moto Morini
Husqvarna

Reason? No local dealer support, and damn light dealer support anywhere else. Owning a Husky from new has not been a big issue; I do all the work on it, but parts are sometimes hard to come by and wait times get long.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #36
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
[QUOTE=woodnbow;18083413
Come on HD/Victory. Build it and I will buy it. [COLOR=red]The second most parroted line... over the years HD has built numerous performance oriented bikes, special edition sportsters, copies of XR's, FXR variations FXDX/T's. Hell they even bought Buell in response to all of you who said "build it and we'll buy it". In nearly every case YOU did not buy those bikes in large numbers, or if you did your first move was to lower the bike, remove the mid controls in favor of forwards or floorboards, etc. etc. Don't blame HD for building what the market obviously WANTS! (it's what gives them that market share... )[/COLOR]/QUOTE]

Lots of truth right there.

Very insightful.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #37
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerIsGood View Post
I thought sales were down 30% for HD. Article follows:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...g-dealerships/
Things have turned around a bit in the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksgp View Post
Standard bikes only! I would not buy any cruiser or bike that has forward pegs, slightly forward pegs or just a little bit "forward pegs". A standard bike to me is a bike where you can cross your arms and stand up on the pegs.

Come on HD/Victory. Build it and I will buy it.
XR1200X
Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #38
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADDIESHACK View Post
54% of what, exactly?

Bikes sold in the USA above 600cc. (might be 650cc can't find the article right now to verify) And it might be a higher percentage 56%?? I know it used to be 48% so I was surprised a little when I read it.

Triumph is growing. Ducati is growing. Victory is growing.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #39
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,928
Chopper anything. Stupid, ill handling ass jewelry. Anything that has a super wide rear tire for "style" purposes.

Basically, anything where "style" takes a front seat to functionality and comfort.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #40
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
My back wont let be buy anything with forward controls, and my wrists dont like sportbikes.

Harley also seems to own the larger share of the used bikes that dont sell market also. Have you seen how many are for sale lately, it seems they can hardly give the things away. Harley got their market share by handing out financing to every tom, dick, and harry that walked through the door. A lot of them couldnt really afford them and now the used market is overrun with them and their values have dropped to the basement. Any manufacturer could have a big market share if they let anyone who could sign there name get financing and buy a 20,000 dollar bike.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #41
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Chopper anything. Stupid, ill handling ass jewelry. Anything that has a super wide rear tire for "style" purposes.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #42
hrolf
neophyte

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

Basically, anything where "style" takes a front seat to functionality and comfort.
yup. Ditto anything with apehangers. I like steering, thanks.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #43
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Types: Choppers

Brands: Ural, Benelli, Moto Guzzi

I don't have time to piddle fart around with someone's idea of an idiosyncratic moto. I ride to get places and enjoy myself. Standing beside a broken pile of shit on the side of the road just so I can have an "experience" is overrated.

If you like them, have at it. Be weird. Be eclectic. Be yourself. I applaud you.

I have shit to do and places to be, as well as things I'd rather spend my money on.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #44
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyrod View Post
I think the hardest part of owning a Suzuki Gladius would be to try and convince my friends that I was not gay!

What about when they find out your screen name?
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #45
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
I'll be honest. I would never, ever buy a Buell. I know they have their fans, but even their fans seem to always have long lists of annoying little quality control issues they had to deal with. KTM fanboys are almost as bad.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote