User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
GS73 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Valve Cover Seals

For those of you who do their own maintenance. What is your opinion of the valve cover seals on the F800? Do you replace them when doing a valve adjustment? The Haynes manual says to do this everytime. I am wondering because they appear to be of the same material as my R1100RT. All of these are the original except one cover bolt seal. They are on a 1999 model and have been off at least every 6K and the bike has over 91K on it. Thanks, Gary
GS73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,199
No experience here ... but I can help you spend money
At some point since the bike's introduction the gasket set was redesigned to reduce leakage...
IIRC the stand-offs where shortened a bit to increase the crush on the gasket.
It might be worth getting a new set at least once to be sure you have the latest design revision....

How'd I do?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
GS73 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Valve Cover Seals

Thanks for the reply. I have ordered a new set. I've had to remove the cams because the clearances were on the tight side. But I think I'm going to have a hard time throwing the old set away.
GS73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS73 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have ordered a new set. I've had to remove the cams because the clearances were on the tight side. But I think I'm going to have a hard time throwing the old set away.
I still have the old set on the self also ....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,744
Hey Guys.

Long time lurker, first time poster.....

I don't have the Bulletin handy but the '08-'09ish 650/800 engines would develop oil leaks at the valve cover while under warranty. The gasket would be replaced and soon enough, leak again. My observation before the bulletin came out was that there wasn't enough "crush" on the setup. The bolts have a shoulder that bottoms out and more tightening would just lead to stripping the threads. Sure enough, BMW came out with the bulletin and a newly revised gasket. There was a definte improvement. I feel the rubbers under the bolts were thicker giving more crush while the cover gasket itself was unchanged. This solved the problem. Of course Dealers will change the gasket during a valve check and be happy to put it on your bill.

To answer your question tho, if it wasn't leaking before AND you didn't damage it during removal...reuse the old gasket. It's not going to suddenly blow all your oil out leaving you stranded. Mine leaked from new and I just wiped it once or twice till I reached the first valve check then got warranty on it. GS's are supposed to be dirty anyway. If you're doing your own valve checks then you know it only takes an hour or so to change it out on the exremely unlikely chance it leaks beyond your comfort level. Save your money for gas and ride. I've never changed a valve cover gasket on a boxer due to leaks and there is always a pool of oil trying to escape (horizontal cyls). The 800 cover is on top with the oil draining down where it's only possible to leak while running. The K1200/1300 gaskets aren't changed during a valve check in my experience.

Don't ask me how I know all this.

Ride safe.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 05:54 PM
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote