User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #91
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
couter-shaft seal

My counter-shaft seal started leaking yesterday. Not much oil loss yet, the sight glass indicates the same level but oil has been dripping from the bike. I popped off the sprocket this morning expecting to find the seal hanging out from the case as others have found but it was still seated a couple of mm below the raised edge of the case, I assume this is as far in as it goes. I will clean it up to verify but I think it is leaking between the shaft and the seal rather than between the seal and the case. It looks like I would just need to tip the bike or drain the oil, find a way to yank the old seal out and press a new one in. Any wisdom or advice is welcome.
'08 CRF100F (no trail too tight)
TDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #92
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDY View Post
My counter-shaft seal started leaking yesterday. Not much oil loss yet, the sight glass indicates the same level but oil has been dripping from the bike. I popped off the sprocket this morning expecting to find the seal hanging out from the case as others have found but it was still seated a couple of mm below the raised edge of the case, I assume this is as far in as it goes. I will clean it up to verify but I think it is leaking between the shaft and the seal rather than between the seal and the case. It looks like I would just need to tip the bike or drain the oil, find a way to yank the old seal out and press a new one in. Any wisdom or advice is welcome.

pry it with the screwdriver put it back in with a suitable deep socket...
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #93
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,795
Quote:
Clean the hole of any oil when you pop the new seal in. Lube/grease the inner seal surface where it rests on the countershaft but you don't want any on the outer circumference.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #94
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,387
Unnecessary, perhaps, but it may offer piece of mind. Probably easy enough to make your own.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=70052

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #95
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was assuming I'd be dealing with a retainer like that but for now it looks like I just need to replace the seal. I'll be keeping an eye on the new seal for a while though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
Unnecessary, perhaps, but it may offer piece of mind. Probably easy enough to make your own.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #96
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post

That post, seen in isolation, is misleading. BergDonk's not going to be making them now that ProCycle will be doing some for around $20. I had signed up for two from BD but will be getting them from PC instead, once they become available.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #97
Slow Toast
pfft

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That post, seen in isolation, is misleading. BergDonk's not going to be making them now that ProCycle will be doing some for around $20. I had signed up for two from BD but will be getting them from PC instead, once they become available.
Let me/us know when you're ordering - perhaps we can order multiples and save on shipping?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #98
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Toast View Post
Let me/us know when you're ordering - perhaps we can order multiples and save on shipping?
Possible; will let people know when I order.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #99
Slow Toast
pfft

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Possible; will let people know when I order.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #100
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've got ProCycle wish-list going as well so if a an Ottawa group buy happens post it here.
I wonder if we could get ProCycle to help us figure it out. They could calculate combined shipping, allocate it to the buyers by weight and take individual payments or at least tell us what each of us owes for shipping and then ship it all in one box to someone here in Ottawa.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #101
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I've got ProCycle wish-list going as well so if a an Ottawa group buy happens post it here.
I wonder if we could get ProCycle to help us figure it out. They could calculate combined shipping, allocate it to the buyers by weight and take individual payments or at least tell us what each of us owes for shipping and then ship it all in one box to someone here in Ottawa.
You've probably noticed this response from ProCycle in the main DR thread but for those who haven't, here it is: "I expect to have the first batch of retainers ready around the first week of November. "

I seriously doubt ProCycle would allow individual orders to be combined in one shipping box. I also doubt they'd do any of the calculating involved. That would probably have to be the responsibility of the person who put the bulk order in.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #102
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You're probably right, but It can't hurt to ask. I'd like to think Jeff would see the benefit of helping us reduce shipping charges so we can spend more money on his stuff. He'd also only have one shipment to make.

Assuming this idea doesn't workout I'm willing to place an order for everyone but you would have to come to my place in Kanata to get your parts when the order comes in. I would just split all shipping, customs and duties charges in proportion to the weight of the parts, I have a good scale and I know how to use a calculator. I'd need money up-front for any orders over $100.

The next question that comes to mind is a cut-off date for putting in your orders. I'm in no hurry personally and it looks like we need to wait for the seal retainer anyway.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #103
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
The next question that comes to mind is a cut-off date for putting in your orders. I'm in no hurry personally and it looks like we need to wait for the seal retainer anyway.

Any thoughts?
I wouldn't mind getting it over with, once the parts are in stock. If we wait for multiple buyers to get their lists together and bundle it all together, it may get too complicated. The only other thing I'd like to get for the time being is a couple of alternator nut covers - ours are getting a little worn from overtightening, and someone (not me!) using the wrong size of Allen wrench on it.

I fear that the next time I need to turn the crankshaft via the nut, I'll have to really bugger up the inspection covers to get them off our bikes.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #104
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

ProCycle has added the seal retainer to their site, though it's not going to be available until the start of November.

Looks very simple, compared to BergDonk's original design. (Click the image above to see the site)
Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #105
Quantis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
I'm up for a procycle group order. PM me if someone is organizing things.