User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Sting32 OP
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Tshocks...

I wanted to continue to discuss with mr twin-shock, without everyone getting pissy that we're having a discussion, which also CAN mean we might not agree... But it is FUN to aree or even to disagree...

I ask you (TS) why wouldnt the Montessa, with same mods, not still be a better bike than the Reflux?

I was only a teen, but still I rode the montessas most of my early trials career... on 74 model 123's, a 76 172, and I got to test ride (when it would run) several 80's flavors 348 & 9's.

until xfering my arse to Bultaco, which was quintasentialy (how do you spell that?) outdated by Fantic quite quickly, which was ligher and more trialsable... Yet even them fantic bikes had some reported "failures" like bent and broken frames, where engineering didnt always equal real life stresses from the "big dogs" of trials, (aka best Experts and masters, even in the USA). My cousin (Albert Wing) bought it new, and even rode master on this thing and nationals, the bike (there is a thread with pictures of the bike today) still is pristine condition. I just cant believe what a bike it seems to have been, now that I have it.

Anywho, We did a lot of mods to try to keep the old buls competitive though, but not trying to toot my own horn, honestly! I feel since I managed to trudge onward with the 79 Bultaco for many years into and past 84, I would have ridden 3x better with same skills I had, if I was mounted on the fantic. just that much more suited to the task, IMHO.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Old Spanish bikes are mostly heavy, cumbersome, and unreliable in comparison to a Honda. The Honda in standard form though is pretty much a dead duck in terms of serious TS competition, but can be improved enormously by a few simple mods its quite possible to do at home. A modified TLR is reliable, fun to ride, with good spares availability, and can easily cope with any type of section likely to be set for TS bikes.

Spanish bikes too can be improved a great deal, but as they are so far away from being competitive in the first place this is far more involved than altering the little Honda's. There is a thriving industry in Spain modifying Bult, Mont, Ossa, but in terms of cost one of these costs around £8K, and is still a long way from being anywhere near as good as any one of the top bikes being used in the UK twin-shock championship currently.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
The Honda Reflex is a nice bike, it's a four stroke but I don't see any advantage between a Reflex to any Spanish brand that whee build in the same years. And to top that statement, even the last Bultaco's where better then a Reflex trials bike. It would be something different if you would compare it to a Honda TLR 200 RS or even a TLR 250. It was fact that back then no one did like the Hondas much.

Maybe therefore there still so many of them in a good shape around.

Yes it is right many twinshock bikes get modified, but this is mostly done as the use of the bike and the riding style together with the sectipns have changed a lot since then. Not only Spanish machines are modded, Fantic's SWM's and of course Yamaha's were nowadays adapted to the riding needs of today. I personal would not do any changes that are irreversible like changing footpeg positions, changing the steering axis angle, ... but it's up to the owner /rider, ... The Problem with the old Spanish (Bultaco, Ossa and Montesa) or italian trials bikes (SWM, Gori, Italjet), is that they are not so well designed for heavy clutch action you have to ride them not hop around.

Through long sections with rough terrain (filled with stones in different síze f. e.) there the old bikes are perfect, 2nd, throttle and they go through it, as with very soft and slippery or ground or where you have deep sand sections.

How would you otherwise explain the absence of these Honda's in trials section when they where brand new?
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

None of the TLR Honda's are proper trials bikes, and back in the day when new, they were never very popular, as the first mono-shock bikes were just starting to appear, and the 200/240 Fantic's were so far ahead of any other TS bike, the Honda never sold that well.

The Fantic's are still pretty much the bikes to have if you are serious about TS trials, and with the help of modern tyres they are even further ahead of all other TS bikes. However as today its very easy to make a stock TLR work very well indeed, without spending that much money, they are now far more popular than when they were new.

On of the main reasons the old Spanish bikes (in standard form) are today so far off the pace, is that they were designed with the very poor tyres around at the time in mind, and while steering and suspension geometry can both be improved to better suit modern conditions and tyres, in standard form they are pretty nasty, and not likely to be the sort of thing a serious UK TS championship contender would choose.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
The small Honda was not popular because it would not get over the large obstacles. Most of today`s twinshock events are nowhere close to the diffuculty of the sections of old. At least of the upper riders. And I don`t ever remember thinking if only I had better tires I could get over this rock.
I do remember when the michelin radial came along with different compounds. And of course everybody only bought the W. And I`m still not sure about the `lite` yet.
Speaking of tires I have to go see if the little reflex will hold air. Just got it running an hour ago!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

The TY175 is not exactly great for tackling 4ft rock steps, but sold pretty well over a long period. Back in the 80s anyone serious would most often buy a Fantic, but lesser bikes such as the TY were very popular with less able riders.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,192
my TY dont even like a 4" rock
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
The TY is still very popular in twinshock trials, especially in France where lovely TY show up:

Some in France are very well rebuild and fitted with contemporary frames from UK, like this
one with a school boy Withlock frame:

Yamaha did not change very much in the design of the twinshock Yamahas
any progress back then was done by small companys like Mjesty, Whitehawk, ..
until the Mono Yamaha showed up. These already back then modified machines
where very competetive.

In an British trials magazine they made an shoot out between such a modified
Yamaha Majesty Twinshock TY with a 320cc engine against a 340cc Sherpa,
model 199b, (the shoot out test was done in 2010), the Spanish bike won clearly.

Anyway 80% of trials riding is about personal skills, 5% is luck the remining 15%
are up to the machine, (in my personal view):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2y9h1ONFw8
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
Oh good, a thread that will continue this discussion without hijacking my "Fun with OJ" thread. Thanks for starting this, Mitch!

A 4" rock, JeffS77? Really?? I know of a certain TY80 that has gone over MUCH bigger stuff successfully, for many years now.......

Reflex's are pigs. Have fun with the thread.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Speaking of tires I have to go see if the little reflex will hold air. Just got it running an hour ago!
Awesome Bob!! Another reflux running around this weekend!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
4" rock, JeffS77? Really?? I know of a certain TY80 that has gone over MUCH bigger stuff successfully, for many years now.......

no no that was a joke....front forks need rebuilt really bad though...clunkity clunkity
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Awesome Bob!! Another reflux running around this weekend!
I thought this little Honda had turned into a beta. Took 15 minutes of riding to break that cliutch loose after 10 years!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
I thought this little Honda had turned into a beta. Took 15 minutes of riding to break that cliutch loose after 10 years!
I assume it's running OK now? Not looking like a runaway 1st place in Twin Shock A for brewtus this week!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,307

Please STOP posting pictures of this bike .
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
The TY is still very popular in twinshock trials, especially in France where lovely TY show up:

Some in France are very well rebuild and fitted with contemporary frames from UK, like this
one with a school boy Withlock frame:

Yamaha did not change very much in the design of the twinshock Yamahas
any progress back then was done by small companys like Mjesty, Whitehawk, ..
until the Mono Yamaha showed up. These already back then modified machines
where very competetive.

In an British trials magazine they made an shoot out between such a modified
Yamaha Majesty Twinshock TY with a 320cc engine against a 340cc Sherpa,
model 199b, (the shoot out test was done in 2010), the Spanish bike won clearly.

Anyway 80% of trials riding is about personal skills, 5% is luck the remining 15%
are up to the machine, (in my personal view):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2y9h1ONFw8
In actual fact the Godden framed TY175 pictured isnt much more competitive than a stock bike, nor are the recently made Whitlock framed bikes! The reason for this are 1970s type steering/suspension geometry, and the rather peculiar want to generally fit big bore kits, which mean that in most cases performance isnt as good as a modified stock motor.

If the Godden "Mini Majesty" frame is modified though they can be reasonably good, and a competitive bike can be built using one of these frames with a modified Yamaha Blaster motor fitted. The Majesty bikes do look very nice though, but in most cases not that great to ride, and very easy to burn your leg on exhausts which have no heat shields fitted.