ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #46
cap'n Jack
YAAARRR... or something

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt View Post
Capn jack
Sounds like you have the right gear for the job. So far there are a few us in for sure and some still waiting for permission from there sweeties. One of the guys is now riding a single speed so were waiting to see if he can sort it out it time.
My thought is that we leave from pine springs Sunday morning in groups of two or three, sorted out by riding styles and meeting up in the evenings for wiskey, er storie time. I plan on using the trek now routes and will share them on request (not here though)
folks should be able to navigate the trail on there own. August is going to bring dust so we could be spread out for miles and waiting for the next guy at the turn will get old fast.
Asriver, TJ, and a few more have done this before so I am going to defer to there advice for camping, fuel stops ect.

We should get together for some light riding to sort it out. I'm sure there will be opportunities soon.

KW

Alright! Very excited. I was on a similare ride down in Baja but shorter. I think we had 12 riders split into three groups of varying speed and ability. Was pretty easy to keep up in the tight sections but when the landscape opened up we were spread out further then you could see. We would leap frog the trails like Asriver says, works pretty good. However I do remember sitting in the middle of nowhere waiting for the next rider unsure if there was going to be a next rider. It all worked out as it usually does. I think the other thing that was helpful was our leader had GPS and a sweeper who new the way. At each check point you count the heads and move on.

I'll have GPS and will be happy to help out in any way. I'd be happy to sweep on a few days, its kinda nice going slow, it's amazing how much you miss at light speed. I'm not much of a leader however, as I have a tendance to get lost and might lead us all off a cliff or something :)

Gone but not forgotten--
2006 Husqvarna TE 510
2004 KTM 625 SXC
1977 CB750 F
2000 Ducati Monster 750

1965 cb77

Restoration Projects--
1967 cb160

"Go that way really fast... If something gets in your way, Turn. "
cap'n Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #47
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 627
Obdr

cap'n Jack,casriver, littlebull, Apple Jam, petro burner, Jungle man, max acceleration, and all others!
Talked w/ Killowatt last night about routes, speed, camping, sight seeing, etc.
We talked about riding as much off road to Lakeview as possible from Portland, if we do so we will have to adjust leave time from the camping area near lakeview! We will get together and plan all the stuff and sees who wants to do this very soon! Input is appreciated!
I don't think either of us want to be considered "leaders". We all need to be self sufficient and will follow a basic route! Small groups are great, we don't really want someone to ride alone, 3 or 4 per group is perfect! 2 at minimum. Neither of us want to babysit, guide or lead . I guess we want to organize and ride! This will be very fun and could turn into an epic trip!
We both want to keep the groups small, travel fast, travel light and camp! It is a long trip, but we still want to stop and smell the roses and visit different interesting sites, but we want to cover ground also!
I tried this trip a couple of years ago and we tried to do it in a short time period, not so good to ride 12 hrs a day, too much in a day was not as much fun! No time to stop and sightsee. More time allotted this time! 11 days vs 5 days!
Everybody will have to have a GPS, paper maps, as a backup! Just in case!
If we have a small group great, bigger initial group we can break up and ride in smaller groups and meet at the end of day at predetermined camping spots. We'll see how the list of inmates comes along and adjust accordingly!
You sound like you have a good setup for the trip! I'm not super fast but quick, and I like to ride a lot! Killowatt and I have very similar riding styles, that being said we want to pair up riders that are of similar styles and ability to make this as fun as possible! I goes it all depends on how many people sign up and actually go!
Rambling post done!
Looking forward to meeting you and riding! PM me if you want to talk and I'll forward my contact info!
later guys!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #48
littlebull
tiny mighty mo

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
cap'n Jack,casriver, littlebull, Apple Jam, petro burner, Jungle man, max acceleration, and all others!
!
Thanks for including me but, as much as I'd like to do the route again this year, Big Spag, Used2BeFast2, and I will be on the WBDR the same week. Guess you'll have to find yourself another girl!
07' F650GS Dakar
littlebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #49
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 627
lb out

littlebull,
Have fun on the WBDR! I gues we'll have to wrangle another cowgirl!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #50
GarageMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I'm interested if there's room for a pig heavy Yamaha.

I'll even pull fuel tanker duty
GarageMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #51
shortcutsmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Oregon/Washington

I live up here in North Western WA, like nearly Canada and would like to figure out a way to ride the back roads of Western WA down to Western OR, across OR to central or Eastern and back North into WA and on North and West back to Camano Isl. It looks like quite a few inmates are thinking about your ride in August. The time is great for me but I know that a trip like I am looking at wouold take quite a bit longer. The time is not an issue after the 7th of August because I'm retired and so is my buddy in Spokane. We usually do a couple hundred miles a day or less but sleep in motels and eat in resturants. Some days in Copper Canyon or Baja we ride less miles but the destination is not as important as the trip. This is not a clip on your ride plan, just a note to others in the NW that may be looking for an alternative.
shortcutsmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #52
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,033
FUN!

2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #53
killowatt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn View Post
FUN!

Hi Greg
This is the redo from last years OBDR attempt. Are you going to get in on it this year?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #54
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
Talked w/ Killowatt last night about routes, speed, camping, sight seeing, etc.
We talked about riding as much off road to Lakeview as possible from Portland, if we do so we will have to adjust leave time from the camping area near lakeview! We will get together and plan all the stuff and sees who wants to do this very soon! Input is appreciated!
I won't be in on this one, but I would recommend a pavement/some gravel, twisty route down to Lakeview.
If only to save on equipment and maybe catch the last of nice warm showers at camp spots. Its a grimy, grubby ride back up.
Asrvivor knows a good twisty way down.

............But.......... Your choice!
Cheers
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #55
fitrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Wish I was free for this trip, it's on my list. Alas mtn biking in BC is already scheduled in.

Enjoy and report back!

FR
fitrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #56
killowatt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Will 11 days be enough? 8/24-9/3

After a little planning session last night with Pig Pen we decided on riding down the crown jewels (route3) from hoodoo to crescent lake, cutting over to silver lake via route2, and slabbing it to lakeview down FS road 28.
I think we figured on 3 days to lake view, 5 days to wallawalla' and 2 days to get home.
We may try to leave portland Thursday afternoon on the23rd in hopes of making lake view Saturday evening. This would give us an an easy 6 days to get north and then ride back roads home, maybe thru fossil, maupin, ect.

This is going to be a good one! Hope you can join us!

Travel light!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #57
GarageMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
So North to South this year? Sounds good to me.
GarageMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #58
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,126
OBCDR "Crown Jewels" route.
Tell this NJ boy what you fellas know about this gem.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #59
leo_jb
-

Oddometer: 117
I'm going to be in Bend the week after Memorial weekend and was planning on riding Route 3 of the OBDR. Anyone have any idea what the snow level is on the route? Will it be passable in a couple of weeks?
leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #60
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt View Post
Hi Greg
This is the redo from last years OBDR attempt. Are you going to get in on it this year?
Guess I need to subscribe to this thread...just now seeing this post!

I'd love to tag along for at least part of the trip. I have some favorite parts to share!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote