ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #61
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_jb View Post
I'm going to be in Bend the week after Memorial weekend and was planning on riding Route 3 of the OBDR. Anyone have any idea what the snow level is on the route? Will it be passable in a couple of weeks?
Not the entire route. You will be able to ride parts of it but where it is clear of snow you will likely find it criss crossed with fallen trees.
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #62
Indenturedx5

Oddometer: 375
Obdr?

Help this ignorant new guy out please. What is the OBDR exactly and where can I find some info on it? I can't make the trip, but it sounds like a blast. Would have to get some time off from family, and some serious storage space on the XL it sounds like. Bigger tank to. Have fun looking forward to pics and lies about ride already.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #63
mrmagoolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
OBCDR = Oregon back country discovery route. Just do a search on it and you will get lots of info. There are 5 routes and that makes it confusing. To me there is just one and that is route 5 which was the first route and why it is route 5 is beyond me. It should be renamed to the original OBCDR and the rest should be named differantly. It is a great ride. You can see many ride reports here on ADV. My trip is below.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #64
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 663
obdr

Hi guys,
I'll shed some light on all this this evening after work! It is going to be a really fun trip!
We are looking for some more riders to join us! we will pair up according to riding abilities and speed!
Hopefully teams of three!
later!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #65
killowatt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_jb View Post
I'm going to be in Bend the week after Memorial weekend and was planning on riding Route 3 of the OBDR. Anyone have any idea what the snow level is on the route? Will it be passable in a couple of weeks?

On the fourth of july two years ago I was stopped by snow just past three creeks (outside of sisters) and some snow on the road at indigo pass. Other than that the ride was free sailing all the way to Diamond Lake.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #66
killowatt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagoolin View Post
OBCDR = Oregon back country discovery route. Just do a search on it and you will get lots of info. There are 5 routes and that makes it confusing. To me there is just one and that is route 5 which was the first route and why it is route 5 is beyond me. It should be renamed to the original OBCDR and the rest should be named differantly. It is a great ride. You can see many ride reports here on ADV. My trip is below.

whats even more confusing is that no one realy knows what happened to route one

route 1, ???
route 2, cresent lake to silver lake. (connects route 3 to 5)
route 3, hoodoo to klamath Falls
route 4, Sisters to Seneca. (connects route 3 to 5)
route 5, Lake view to Walla Walla (original route, closed down by aging libral hippie douches or something like that)

Granted these are broad discriptions but you get the idea.

Look into "trek Now" or the oregon off highway vehicle asssociation OOHVA for further info.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #67
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt View Post
On the fourth of july two years ago I was stopped by snow just past three creeks (outside of sisters)
I ran into impassable snow at the LAST WEEK of July on that same route, on my solo trip down to the start of our OBDR run last year. I made it about five miles, maybe, past Three Creeks lake. I went through/over about 5 big piles of that dirty white stuff, then finally gave up and made a bypass further down the hill.

I got to go back and ride that sweet road on the way to WetFest in September, however
Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt View Post
whats even more confusing is that no one realy knows what happened to route one
It's missing for sure, but slack has been taken up by the Cascade Discovery Route (Oregon, ride #1)
It's the kick-ass forest ride from Hood River to Sisters, of course
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #68
Billy_b57
DARTH

Oddometer: 125
Obdr

My S.O. and I would be pretty interested in this ride.
I want and am itching to ride this .
Our schedule right now is up in the air due to the business. If it is slow then I can commit and let er rip.
Sounds like a great time.

http://www.oregondualsportrentalandadventures.com/ Your next adventure begins with Us!
Billy_b57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #69
killowatt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMonkey View Post
So North to South this year? Sounds good to me.
Just caught this so to be clear we are starting in lake view and riding north to wallawalla
Plan is to meet up with fellow riders around lake view Saturday evening and leave Sunday morning.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #70
leo_jb
-

Oddometer: 118
Thanks for the heads up everyone. We had a really light winter in California this year, so I thought maybe Route 3 would be passable by Memorial weekend. Did you get (more-or-less) "normal" snow this year?
leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #71
pigpen
Gone Riding

South to North

Route and Section changes:

Killowatt and I are riding the OBDR from South to North, silver lake north to walla walla!

We are researching options from Portland to silver lake off-road, leaving thurs nite 8/23 and being in silver lake area Sunday or Monday night!
This will take us along route 2 and 3 to join in on route 5 of the OBDR!

Meet up Sun or Mon night at silver lake or x-mas valley on top of Green Mt. or some place TBD
We are researching a few routes from PDX to the start of route 2 and will know soon how we will tackle this.

4 days to Silver Lake
5-6 days from Silver Lake to walla walla
1 day home to portland
Probably home on Sunday Sept.2nd. evening time or early monday morning!

We like to ride fast and hard! Stopping to smell the coffee and flowers are essential but we are not planning to doodle along the route, sightseeing is great but we are riders not writers or photographers! We will stop and check some cool stuff out, like we will try to find one of the big plane wrecks in a remote area, not Nevada though!

That being said:

anyone is welcome, provided the following :

You have your GPS maps and camping sites loaded ahead of time, neither of us are techies! I suck w/ a GPS! I know how to use one and route find, but I cannot program yours! We will send out GPX files when we have them all set up and you are confirmed!
I have done most of the route as well as kilowatt so we know the area, I will fall short on the north part of the route as I did not complete that due to time constraints. I have ridden in the area, just not linking the OBDR proper!

Willing to ride your own ride at your own pace! We like to ride fast, light and hard. If you are up for that type of ride, tag along w/ us, or if we are too slow or too fast for you, break off and meet us at a predetermined campsite!
We will probably break into groups of 3-4 people for riding safety, speed, abilities, etc.

We both think this will make a better ride for all involved! If you are slow, ride slow! don't push yourself and get hurt or wreck your bike trying to keep up! On the other hand if your faster, you won't have to wait for all the others to catch up all day, just to get gas or lunch together! If you want to take some pics or take a swim do it! You will know where we will all be at the end of the day! We have both ridden with large groups that are diversified enough to cause these type of aggravations to other riders!

We are not leading this ride or wanting to be responsible for some ill prepared rider or riders. NOT being mean, just reality!
I have not been able to ride this for a few years and I would like to ride versus lead a bunch on a tour! Not being elitist, neither myself nor kilowatt want to be ringleaders. We will not be all worried about our ducklings, we do not have any!
Everyone will of course look after one another etc. to a point! In ADV style!

There are a bunch of people riding this ride, all at different skill levels, bike types etc! There might be an Ural along, to bring us ice and beer at the end of each day! You will be fine by the end of first day as riding styles, personalities, gear, and bikes will match up to make this an enjoyable event for all.

There might be a hotel or camping facility w/ showers involved along the route, we will keep you posted.
For instance, we might hotel or hot spring somewhere along so we start the OBDR route 5 fresh and not off 3 -4days of sweat and dirt to start 6-7 more days of the same! This might be our meeting point to start????

Our ride from Portland to Sliver Lake to walla walla and back to portland is estimated at 2000+ miles! 10 days!
approx. 200 miles/day! Most sections on the OBDR are not too long and we have 6 days on the route to accomplish this!

I hope this info helps you guys and gals to make a decision on coming w/ us for the OBDR! This post is not to scare anyone off, piss anyone off, but an informational piece to see who wants to go with us on an excellent adventure.

I will try my best to answer specifics questions etc as the summer progresses! I'm sure kilowatt will also!
Cheers,

pigpen screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 10:10 PM Reason: info update
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #72
pigpen
Gone Riding

some changes

For any of those interested we have made some major changes in our timing and route choice!
I edited my previous post to reflect changes!

For those of you wanting to do the entire OBDR section 5 S to N should start in Lakeview and plan to meet up at a certain campground with us.

Or ride sections 2 and 3 with us!!!!!

It's a lot to bite off considering the timeframes but If we pull it off, wooooohooooo!

Is anyone interested?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #73
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,759
You all still going?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #74
pigpen
Gone Riding

Still going?

acesandeights

Oh yea were still going! Been busy moving and traveling for a bit! Are you interested in tagging along ?
There are a few of us going, I'll have to get a firm confirmation from the other inmates as to whoa and where etc.
Let me know if your serious. I still have to pull a motor and maybe rebuild it ?????
Later,

Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #75
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,759
I can't get the time off, I just got a new job. But, I might be able to ride for a day or two depending. I just like hearing about it more than anything else.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote