User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Honda Fit - got one?

Thinking about replacing my Sienna with a brand new Fit. Very low lease of $79 bi-weekly. I'm thinking the money saved in fuel expenses would offset the cost. Plus, the money I get for my van could pay down some debt. Crazy?
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
john112deere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Stepmom has an '09.

Bought new, only issue I'm aware of in 70-some thousand miles was a loose wiring connection that killed the electric power steering assist. She had it towed, I'd have driven it to the dealer. She's happy with mpg, but I don't know the number.

I drove it once or twice, rode in it a few times...drives and rides like a small car with a small engine. I don't mean that in a bad way.

Interior space appears to defy physics- I'm pretty sure you could park the thing inside itself. It swallowed a full-size Lazy-boy with ease.

(That said...I did the math on one of those dirt-cheap lease deals- might've been a Civic at $99/mo, but I can't remember- to see if I could about pay for parking one beside my 4wd pickup with the fuel savings. Insurance quotes were an eye-opener.)
Old 02-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=honda
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
rodhersh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Paying down debt is never crazy. Is the van paid for? Are you really going to save $158/month in fuel costs?
rodhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,964
I had one for about nine months. Absolutely hated it! So did my wife. To be fair, if I had gotten the manual tranny I might have felt differently, but the auto with the paddle shifters drove me nuts. We have a lot of hills. I use engine braking a lot. When I downshifted in the Fit it upshifted right away. Fuel economy was so so. We had a little Civic DX hatchback several years ago that got 10mpg better than the Fit (and better than the EPA sticker) so I was expecting more of the same with the Fit. Not so. On a good day under ideal conditions it almost made what the EPA claimed, but typically was 5-6mpg less.

But the big thing - which may not be an issue where you live - was it was perhaps the suckiest car in snow I've ever had. Even with top of the line snow tires it floated on top of the snow and wandered all over the road. We now have a Prius C which is a dream in the snow.

YMMV
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,197
Wife has one.

Manual. DO NOT GET THE AUTO.

Good passenger room. Good organization, split seats, hatch etc. Good MPG, small tank.

Very happy.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,393
What they said. The paddle shifters/automatic blows the flies off a dead goat's nutsack. Get a stick, in the Sport package. I own a 2013 & love it.

I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhersh View Post
Paying down debt is never crazy. Is the van paid for? Are you really going to save $158/month in fuel costs?
Van is paid for. I could probably get $6000 for it based on my local market conditions.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
Thinking about replacing my Sienna with a brand new Fit. Very low lease of $79 bi-weekly. I'm thinking the money saved in fuel expenses would offset the cost. Plus, the money I get for my van could pay down some debt. Crazy?
Is that with 0 dollars down? And I mean a real 0 dollars because there can be some fine print in there. 150+/month seems like a high amount for that lease, since you're leasing any car could work and you lost out on that Honda reliability.

I just checked it out and if you do a lot of highway miles the Fit is a bad choice, it only gets 33 MPG which is less than the new mid sized cars get. Other small cars get into the 40's and a Chevy Sonic for example has a nicer engine.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Is that with 0 dollars down? And I mean a real 0 dollars because there can be some fine print in there. 150+/month seems like a high amount for that lease, since you're leasing any car could work and you lost out on that Honda reliability.

I just checked it out and if you do a lot of highway miles the Fit is a bad choice, it only gets 33 MPG which is less than the new mid sized cars get. Other small cars get into the 40's and a Chevy Sonic for example has a nicer engine.
Ya, zero down, first months payment due on delivery. My wife drives the Sienna, it's mostly around town. She usually spends $90 / week on gas. Other considerations: Mazda 2, Civic or a used car. I drive a 2002 Camry, bought 2 years ago for just over 4 grand. Trouble-free, comfy, still going strong. I've leased a few vehicles over the years, always feels like a waste ending up with nothing (but new and a low monthly payment is also appealing).

I also have a Miata that I drive 8 months / year. When I do, the Sienna just sits because my wife takes the Camry.

Someone mentioned the Fit sucks in the snow. That's good to know because we get a lot of it in Newfoundland. It's why I was also considering a used Saab 9-2x Aero. Sadly someone got it before me.

klx250sfguy screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 10:52 AM
Old 02-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
Ya, zero down, first months payment due on delivery. My wife drives the Sienna, it's mostly around town. She usually spends $90 / week on gas. Other considerations: Mazda 2, Civic or a used car. I drive a 2002 Camry, bought 2 years ago for just over 4 grand. Trouble-free, comfy, still going strong. I've leased a few vehicles over the years, always feels like a waste ending up with nothing (but new and a low monthly payment is also appealing).

I also have a Miata that I drive 8 months / year. When I do, the Sienna just sits because my wife takes the Camry.

Someone mentioned the Fit sucks in the snow. That's good to know because we get a lot of it in Newfoundland. It's why I was also considering a used Saab 9-2x Aero. Sadly someone got it before me.
Oh Canada, then the price might be right I know you guys pay a good chunk more for vehicles than us.

Are you planning to get a manual transmission? That can usually help in the snow, I've taken my Passat which is no Subaru out in blizzards without much in the way of issues. I'm not bombing down the road but with all the new electronics I see when there is any slip going on and know that's my limit and haven't had any issues.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,368
My oldest daughter has a Fit and loves it and my fat ass fits in the back seat so I'm okay with it too.

But, there is not a whole lot of ground clearance.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Oh Canada, then the price might be right I know you guys pay a good chunk more for vehicles than us.

Are you planning to get a manual transmission? That can usually help in the snow, I've taken my Passat which is no Subaru out in blizzards without much in the way of issues. I'm not bombing down the road but with all the new electronics I see when there is any slip going on and know that's my limit and haven't had any issues.
Manual, definitely. Every small car or truck we've ever had over the years had a manual transmission, for the reason you mentioned (plus they're just more fun).
Old 02-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #14
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
My oldest daughter has a Fit and loves it and my fat ass fits in the back seat so I'm okay with it too.

But, there is not a whole lot of ground clearance.
My first brand new car was a '93 Civic hatch with a 5-speed manual. I loved the car but the ground clearance in the snow took some getting used to. Sounds like the Fit is much the same.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #15
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,587
I've driven a friends a fair bit. Around town they're a zippy little car. They are gutless on the highway at California speeds. Between that and the road noise, I'd only consider one if I made mostly short around town trips. I can't imagine commuting any distance in one on a highway, road trips, etc.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: