User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
Beelzabob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
Soundbars

Damn! I guess I finally came out of the cave I've been living in for way to long. I picked up one of first bars when they came out about 10+ years ago and thought it was a pretty cool technology, but compared to todays units; holy shite! The old one finally died recently, so I took advantage of the Black Friday sales and bought a Yamaha unit with Bluetooth today. Easy set up, easy sync with my phone and plays anything I can connect to via my network.

Best yet is the quality of the sound. I went through various Pandora stations as a test and then streamed, The amazing life of Walter Smitty soundtrack via Youtube. WOW!

Any other reviews?

"Most of the trip was like being thrown into a barrel of titties only to come out sucking your thumb!" - Oisin
Beelzabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,176
I've got a yamaha soundbar that I picked up at Costco last year. It mates well mounted directly below my Sharp 70" LED flatscreen. I like the built in subwoofer versus having another box to hook up.

The Bluetooth works great, and I can also control all the settings with an app on my iPad.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I noticed a million of these things in Best Buy the other day. Does no one use 5, 6, or 7.1 surround sound speakers and sub hooked to a receiver anymore?
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bappo View Post
I noticed a million of these things in Best Buy the other day. Does no one use 5, 6, or 7.1 surround sound speakers and sub hooked to a receiver anymore?
I've got a 5.1 system, it's not that great but miles away better than the stock speakers on a TV. A few years ago my X Box's DVD drive started getting louder so I wanted to get a stand alone up-scaling DVD player and found a refurbished version of this: http://store.sony.com/dvd-home-theat...heater-Systems on sale for about 60 bucks. The major downside is that while it'll do surround sound for DVD's the external input is only RCA's, but for the price it's worth it.

I'll probably replace it with a similar system but with optical input, more powerful speakers, and a 3D blu ray player, they only run about 125 so it's not too bad.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 11-26-2014 at 07:56 AM
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,999
Quote:
Does no one use 5, 6, or 7.1 surround sound speakers and sub hooked to a receiver anymore?

Why yes I do!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,421
Last year we bought a Polk soundbar that has a wireless sub.

Great sound and it has bluetooth so it plays music from portables too.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
I do. Onkyo receiver, older Energy speakers, HSU sub.

Until last May I sold electronics at Sears to supplement my income. The average customer is too technophobic to deal with a true surround system, has a better half who doesn't want real speakers marring her "decor", thinks everything should be wireless, believes all the Bose bullshit, wouldn't know accurate sound reproduction if they heard it.

Thin flat panel TVs have inherently crappy sound. A decent soundbar can vastly improve sound quality over the stock TV speakers. One with a separate wireless sub will be better for action movies--expect to pay $250 or so, Sonys tend to play at higher volume levels without distortion than Samsung at this price point.

More money spent on a Yamaha will come a lot closer to a home theater like experience. Yamaha pioneered the soundbar concept and has the digital sound processing (DSP) expertise to create a more immersive sound field than the more mass market stuff.

For a true home theater experience a good AV receiver or Pre-amp/processor + power amp with 5.1 or 7.1 speaker array is best. For a simpler setup with some HT credibility a soundbar from Yamaha or another good audio company (i.e. not a company that also sells tvs, clock radios, or cellphones) is ok. If all you want is significantly better TV sound than the TV by itself then a sub $300 soundbar from Sony, Panasonic, Vizio, etc. can fill the bill but you're not going to get that "helicopter flying overhead" experience.

Bose is a triumph of marketing over substance--way overpriced for what you actually get.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Like what was said above ^^.

I still use a 3 channel. Polk Audio center and two floorstanding. No sub, I do have one, I just don't use it. I need to replace my rear bookshelf speakers with something better. They're HarmonKardon sats and sound like crap. I'm thinking about getting some inexpensive Pioneer SB BS22's since they get really good reviews and I only need them for rear fill.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,301

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022581

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: