Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
AR-TRVLR OP
Bushpusher

Oddometer: 205
Sedans that don't suck? Accord vs. Camry vs. ??? Update: Page 15

Who has feedback on the sedan market these days? I'm going to be buying a 'new' vehicle this summer, and am looking at options.

Here's my wishlist:
1) Seats 4 adults. I'm 6', and would like to be able to seat someone my size in the back seat if I'm driving.
2) Somewhat sporty. I'd like something to happen when I hit the stupid pedal, and to be able to negotiate a corner if it has to.
3) Some luxury. Heated leather seats are appealing in my old age.
4) Long-term reliability. I know almost nothing will live up to our 2003 corolla with 220k miles with no major repairs, but it's an ideal. There's a decent chance that I'll be driving whatever car I get until the wheels fall off, and I'd like that to be a long, long time.

The gizmos and whistles & bells don't matter that much to me, and mostly make me wonder how expensive they'll be to fix. In-dash navigation seems to go out of date too quickly to be useful. I'd love a BMW, but don't really want to pay the maintenance on them. VW's are interesting, but the build quality seems hit and miss. Fords are possible, but I won't own a GM or Chrysler product.

Here's my current three contenders:
* Toyota Camry SE V6 - either new or a 2011-2012 version.
* Honda Accord V6 - probably new, since the 2013 marked the new model with significant improvements.
* Acura TL - probably a 2011 or 2012 - Seems like affordable luxury. Will it kill me in the long-run, though?

Update on page 15. TLDR: still looking, purchase pushed out to mid-December. Leading candidates are '12 TL (base or SH-AWD) vs. '15 GTI

AR-TRVLR screwed with this post 10-04-2014 at 02:06 AM
AR-TRVLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,665
Have you considered the Kia Optima? It's pretty sexy.

Volkswagen Jetta or Passat, maybe?

Or the Ford Fusion?

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
Avalon
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
Avalon

Avalon, yes! Very nice car.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Hoo Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I think you need to figure out how important the "somewhat sporty" requirement is to you.

Most of the cars you described are primary FWD. Primary FWD cars are almost always less sporty than primary RWD cars due to torque steer and car balance (front vs. rear weight ratio). Of primary FWD cars, the Acura TL seems to be the most sporty.

The primary RWD cars will be more expensive, but will be more sporty. If you don't like the BMW then you might look at the Lexus GS series.

** I say primary FWD or RWD because many of these cars will be AWD. However, almost all these cars still have a front or rear wheel bias.
Hoo Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Dr Klaun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Lexus GS series
Pontiac G8 GT (rebadged Holden Commodore from OZ)

96 R1100RSL (red)
08 TE610
Dr Klaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Redbean
Inanely Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-TRVLR View Post
Who has feedback on the sedan market these days? I'm going to be buying a 'new' vehicle this summer, and am looking at options.

Here's my wishlist:
1) Seats 4 adults. I'm 6', and would like to be able to seat someone my size in the back seat if I'm driving.
2) Somewhat sporty. I'd like something to happen when I hit the stupid pedal, and to be able to negotiate a corner if it has to.
4) Long-term reliability. I know almost nothing will live up to our 2003 corolla with 220k miles with no major repairs, but it's an ideal. There's a decent chance that I'll be driving whatever car I get until the wheels fall off, and I'd like that to be a long, long time.

The gizmos and whistles & bells don't matter that much to me, and mostly make me wonder how expensive they'll be to fix. In-dash navigation seems to go out of date too quickly to be useful. I'd love a BMW, but don't really want to pay the maintenance on them. VW's are interesting, but the build quality seems hit and miss. Fords are possible, but I won't own a GM or Chrysler product.

Here's my current three contenders:
* Toyota Camry SE V6 - either new or a 2011-2012 version.
* Honda Accord V6 - probably new, since the 2013 marked the new model with significant improvements.
* Acura TL - probably a 2011 or 2012 - Seems like affordable luxury. Will it kill me in the long-run, though?
My guess is, at least with the Accord and Camry, if ya go "some luxury", your going to get a shit load of bells and whistles.
Redbean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,836
Fusion with Ecoboost.

Damn nice cars. Honda and Toyota have lost the plot, IMO. Camry /= sporty, ever.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,473
Hemi charger will make the some moves when you hit the loud pedal. For an automatic, I didn't mind it. Ass end gets pretty frisky when you want it to. The seats weren't great but they weren't awful either. It's probably lacking luxury but making up in power.

Probably a fair bit more pricy than you are looking at, but it is probably the cheapest of the RWD crowd

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Klaun View Post
Pontiac G8 GT (rebadged Holden Commodore from OZ)
As much as I really want to like this car, they are just not well put together. The interiors are really awful and don't stand up to time and normal use well. My sister had one for several years, and she is extremely picky about taking care of her vehicles -- the interior was flat worn out under 50K miles -- rattles, squeaks, faded everything, broken tabs, etc.

The engine is awesome, but the ride was awful for the thing not even handling all that well anyway.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,270
Mazda6 is getting strong reviews...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Padriug
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 342
Audi RS6
Padriug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-TRVLR View Post

Here's my wishlist:
4) Long-term reliability. I know almost nothing will live up to our 2003 corolla with 220k miles with no major repairs, but it's an ideal. There's a decent chance that I'll be driving whatever car I get until the wheels fall off, and I'd like that to be a long, long time. //
We have two Accord EX-L V6's, a 2003 and a 2005. The 2003 has 175,000 miles and the 2005 has 202,000. Total repairs? One axle.

We got the V6's because they loaf on the highway and burn regular. The TL has more bells and whistles but is a little over-styled.

The Acura RL has a 3.5, AWD as an option and is quite durable as well.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #14
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
The Acura TL from the years you listed is just the last generation Accord in a nice suit. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but since you said you wanted to step up to the new generation Accord rather than the last one, keep that in mind; you would be trading a generation for some affordable used luxury features. The new-gen Accord will put on its Acura suit with the TLX, which is coming out momentarily and replacing the TL (as well as the slow selling TSX). The good news is that the Acura will be just as reliable as the Accord it's based on, with the exception of the higher end electronics the Accord doesn't have - but even those will be more reliable than on something German.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #15
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,238
Subaru Impreza or Legacy. The last two subarus we have owned have never had any problems. The resale is outstanding (try to find one used)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: