Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 157 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #16
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post

Stalker-Vans.com All the best tips and tricks. Member discounts on candy and puppies. (haha.... just kidding. I hope.)...
always wanting to add links to my "favorites" list, i got the first three and then tried this one. so then i searched with Bing. got this site:

http://www.momspective.com/slap-my-ass/

so now i'm reading away on "well slap my ass and call me shirley" dot com, and find this link: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8&l=e189c5cd97

i'm not a friend of facebook, but i started checking out the vans full well understanding that Expo White is a factory color and it's expensive to properly paint a vehicle other than a stock color what with door jambs and all.

from the above link, i checked out the second picture nine rows down. so up pops a box with viewers' comments.

interesting addmission from the young lady in the photo; the rest is up to YOU!
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,119
Ironically, I kinda decided today that we need a new van. Sprinters are high on the list. Of course, I come to ADV for my research

This would be a work van to replace an aging Ford E(F?)150 Cargo van. Mostly used for Farmers Markets for my bakery, but we're getting into catering. This wouldn't be a high mileage vehicle. Mostly, around town stuff. Gas mileage, while relative with these type of vehicles, is hight on the list. Head room is just awesome in Sprinters.

They're so much more expensive than a regular old cargo van. Why would I go Sprinter, besides the cool Euro thing
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,621
There is no reason. You also said that it wasn't going to be a high mileage vehicle, but gas mileage is a big priority?

To me, there are some things the Sprinter really excels at....

It will haul more shit than just about anything else. You can put ~5000lbs in a Sprinter, and it'll get around with it just fine.

The head room for some purposes is hard to beat. Even if you put a extended roof on a E350, it's tough to do anything about the doors. For a camper, the door thing isn't a big deal. It helps a lot for loading bikes for example.

The turbo diesel loses little power if you live in a mountainous area. You can drive the thing over 14K passes in CO easily.

Comfortable, but loud. The seats look pretty harsh, but in 50K of driving, I never once felt uncomfortable, sore back, etc. A lot of noise comes into the van. It's a tin can. I insulated the walls, ceiling, and had mats on the back floor. It was better. Hard to do much with the driver floor for noise, and there is a lot. Same with wind noise. Great visibility with the big windows, but the aerodynamics mean a lot of noise. I solved this with a loud stereo.

They rust like nobodies business. If you want something you can almost watch rust out on you, then a Sprinter beats all other vans. A lot of people consider the white paint in a Sprinter to be a layer of primer rather than an actual paint. I'm curious how they hold up in other countries, because around here, I rarely see them that don't show rust on the sides, tail lights rusting out, rust around the fuel doors, etc. I'm completely serious here... If you buy a used one, you really might consider setting aside some case to get it painted when you get it to give it a better chance. There are some people on the sprinter forum that did it with good results.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
On the noise issue - Geek detailed how he used an insulation product of some type to reduce interior noise in his lengthy (but excellent) adventure van thread.
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #20
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,791
Another note for "cargo haulers" - the Sprinter's walls are practically pop can thin.

Plan on putting in some decent interior walls as you can dent the body work by glancing at it.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #21
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Ironically, I kinda decided today that we need a new van. Sprinters are high on the list. Of course, I come to ADV for my research

This would be a work van to replace an aging Ford E(F?)150 Cargo van. Mostly used for Farmers Markets for my bakery, but we're getting into catering. This wouldn't be a high mileage vehicle. Mostly, around town stuff. Gas mileage, while relative with these type of vehicles, is hight on the list. Head room is just awesome in Sprinters.

They're so much more expensive than a regular old cargo van. Why would I go Sprinter, besides the cool Euro thing
Do you have room/use for a small box truck? I've noticed that Acme bakery uses a mix of sprinter and E350 cabs with small boxes. No sprinter vans that I've seen. I don't know if that's for the volume of stuff, or durability of bodies, or what.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #22
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
Quote:
....used for Farmers Markets for my bakery...

... Why would I go Sprinter, besides the cool Euro thing

the same reason people go to the Farmers Markets instead of the local convenience store
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Another known weakness on some year Sprinters (not old-timers like mine.) They lose boost, and you get limp home mode and other weird things.

Anorak- you're kinda the resident MB genius / guru around here, aren't you?

Anyone should know, Sprinters, like any vehicle, have their issues, but when they're good, they're good.
I'm flattered but more of a fan than guru.

It wasn't the resonator, there are a couple cracks in the hose that leads from the turbo to the intake. I had the owner powerbrake it in gear and I got a blast of air from the cracks.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #24
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I have a turbo resonator on order for my neighbors 2006.
you mean the resonator eliminator..
http://www.riordanco.com/our_product...TurboResonator
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #25
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,621
I did a replacement resonator on mine the first time, and if I had kept the van, would have gone with the eliminator for the second. It would actually be a good spare to have on the van in case you blow on the road.

In my case, the van would go into limp home on anything resembling a hill, but run fine otherwise. What I figured out after a lot of trial and error, was that if I monitored the engine load on the little OBD reader I had plugged in, if I kept it under a certain threshold, it wouldn't go into limp mode, and I managed to make it from GA, through TN and into VA like that. I frequently had to downshift and slow down up hills to make it. Sucks when this stuff happens on a Sunday afternoon and everything is closed...

It was the classic resonator coming apart at the seams. It was version 3 resonator that blew, and was replaced with a 5. Not that that seems to make them any more reliable.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #26
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
you mean the resonator eliminator..
http://www.riordanco.com/our_product...TurboResonator
No. The factory one which is sitting in the front seat of my car for return to the dealer on Monday. The hose failed.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #27
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post

They rust like nobodies business. If you want something you can almost watch rust out on you, then a Sprinter beats all other vans. A lot of people consider the white paint in a Sprinter to be a layer of primer rather than an actual paint. I'm curious how they hold up in other countries, because around here, I rarely see them that don't show rust on the sides, tail lights rusting out, rust around the fuel doors, etc.
They rust just the same in Europe. Many people drive high mileage rusted out Mercs. The drivetrain is/was great, but their bodies are a known issue. I've always had VWs, while lusting after Ivecos, just because they used to be as reliable and their bodies resited much much better than Mercs, plus they were cheap. Fords in comparison had much better bodies than both, but I didn't like their engine back then.

Quote:

I too vote for a Sprinter for your needs- BUT only if you need it like yesterday. If not, I'd suggest you wait until the Transit, Fiat/Iveco show up (this wasn't meant to offend any Sprinter owners). In one year it seems the full size T series Transit will be on the market, and GM should follow shortly. Of course, this would mean buying new, which probably is kind of expensive for the use it gets.

A Sprinter makes sense if you're doing lots of miles, otherwise it's more of a want than need- awesome tall roof aside. Meaning that while you get better fuel economy, but not by much with the new model, compared to the other diesel vans on the market, you also pony up quite a bit of a premium for that great interior space. From an economic perspective doesn't make any sense, but if it comes to being able and wants, then to hell with rationality

If you're heart is set on Sprinters, I'd suggest looking at a Sprinter cube van- they're cheaper than vans, you only have to worry abouit cabin rusting out (which usually rusts last), and you have a ton of room- but getting in and out it's a bit of a hassle.

Lastly, check a rasied roof Ford or GM vans, or a Unicell- those fiberglass bodied vans. You might find out that they might suit your business- there was a rasied roof E350 7.3 PSD with 55k miles for 15k obo on Ebay, for example. .

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #28
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
...or a Unicell- those fiberglass bodied vans. You might find out that they might suit your business- there was a rasied roof E350 7.3 PSD with 55k miles for 15k obo on Ebay, for example. .
The tech who services our water filtration system drives a Chev van with the Unicell van body. He was telling me it's brutal in crosswinds and he carries lots of extra weight over the rear axle to compensate for the lightweight body (in winter).

Not that it might not be a good choice, but something to be aware of.
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #29
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Do you have room/use for a small box truck? I've noticed that Acme bakery uses a mix of sprinter and E350 cabs with small boxes. No sprinter vans that I've seen. I don't know if that's for the volume of stuff, or durability of bodies, or what.
Yeah, we have a box truck as well as a van. I'm thinking just another cargo van will be the more economical decision. My heart says sprinter, my check book says ford
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #30
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,016
Quote:
My heart says sprinter, my check book says ford
I think that sums it up pretty well; from all that I've heard and read, the Ford/Chevy vans are going to be much easier on the pocketbook.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: