Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 157 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #91
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy61 View Post
Love mine...carried lots of interesting things...

Your Sprinter..... it ATE a CAR!

Or is that an escape pod?
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #92
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Your Sprinter..... it ATE a CAR!

Or is that an escape pod?

Back up for a breakdown
fz6kd7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #93
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,590
Just thought I'd do a little bragging about the jack knife seat / bed I installed in my Sprinter:

Its 60" wide, so it just fits in there. You MIGHT be able to get a 66" in there, but the pass. side bracket would get funky with the door foot well. Had to get creating building the seat mounts. No integral seat belts, so really, those would need to mount to the floor. The brackets are designed for easy removal if more cargo space is needed.

Also, the seat can be moved ahead about 4" on the frame, because my GS needs to stick the beak and front thru the cargo wall hole.

I bought the bed at an RV surplus outfit near Hudson, MI - but there are a ton of outlets around Elkhart, Ind. too.

Being about 5'8", I can fit on the bed just fine- too much taller, and even diagonal may be a problem. Leg room in seat mode seems to be sufficient as well.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #94
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,918
I recently picked up a new 2013 crew van. "short" wheelbase, tall roof, 2500. I knew that I didn't want to deal with a long wheelbase, but it looked like there wouldn't be enough room to put my DR350 without putting it in diagonal - or doing something special.

But when I got it home:

I had enough room, that I tried the GS:

I'm planning on starting a build thread soon - following in Geek's footsteps.

One thing of note - I ordered it with "insulation, front compartment" and "insulation, rear compartment" - but when I pulled the headliner, there wasn't anything but damper sheet bits. I haven't pulled off the lower side panels yet, but I'm wondering - is the headliner the insulation? It's made of molded foam/fiber composite which would provide insulation.

Anybody else got a factory insulation option?

Edit -
H01
Heat Insulation for rear compartment
H04
Heat Insulation for front compartment

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)

Wadester screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 04:05 PM
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #95
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 570
I ordered my 2013 with the same insulation packages as you. I didnt get a headliner in the rear at all. Mine is the standard roof. Is that an interior light I see in one of your pics at the front of the sliding door step? Mine doesnt have that either.

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #96
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
I ordered my 2013 with the same insulation packages as you. I didnt get a headliner in the rear at all. Mine is the standard roof. Is that an interior light I see in one of your pics at the front of the sliding door step? Mine doesnt have that either.
I've got full headliner (front dome, huge piece the length of the slider, 2 short intermediates, and a rear bit.

The light is option LB9 - Illuminated Exits. I think that got me a light on the bottom of both the front doors as well - but those may be standard? I note that the slider light works independently of the dome lights - but doesn't work when I have the master dome light unplugged installing roof insulation.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Old 08-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #97
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Looks like the GS fits in there quite well. How long are those ramps. We're you able to push bike up in there on your own

Baja

Kootenays

Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #98
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Looks like the GS fits in there quite well. How long are those ramps. We're you able to push bike up in there on your own
The ramps are CycleGear folding ramps. 7'5" and 750lb rated.
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A.../p/33225_00000

Got 'em on sale like now, and have used them for several years. I did push the DR in there by myself, but the GSA I started up and walked in with it. Either way, you need both ramps.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #99
a65l
Wise guy, eh?

Oddometer: 1,293
I can't believe I missed this thread for this long. I bought an '05 "Dodge" a couple years back as a toy hauler. I had been using a VW Eurovan, which finally passed over the dollar to mile ratio and had to go. I looked at Ford and GMC vans, but put a diesel in and they're $40k plus. And they drive like shit. New sprinters were considered, but I found this one at a dealership near Richmond for $12k, with right at 130k miles on it. I rode the GS up to get it, and one of the selling points was that the bike had to fit inside for the ride back to the beach. It had shelves, that I had no use for, so the dealer got to keep those, and I wound up giving the divider and roof rack to a sprinter mechanic who works at the local dealership. Never know when that may pay off. Anyhoo, it's been back and forth to TN a few times, the the G/F and I have made a few longish road trips in it, and to dayt it's only cost me maintenance and one broken windshield wiper arm. All in all I'd call it a win win.
Interesting thing is the dealer said they had another one exactally like it, same color, etc etc, less miles, but it wasn't on the lot yet. I saw thhat van some months later but missed the opportunity to talk to the owner. I did get to park right next to it, though, and took a picture but have since lost it somewhere...

The GS prepares for (as far as I know) it's first ride in the back of anything:

Riding the ferry to Scotland on the way home...

I traveled out to TN for work, and usually took toys with me. GS included... this is my first trip back to VA. STill got stuff to jam in there, but with a little creative stowage it's amazing how much stuff it will carry.

And on the way back, didn't bring the bike this time 'cuz I was in a hurry...

Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #100
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 503
I am very interested in what you Sprinter owners have to say about your vehicle. I am working toward taking my coffee roasting business mobile for special events and target markets. I have gone back and forth between step vans, enclosed trailers and Sprinters. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Two things I like about the Sprinter: 1. Acceptable gas mileage, 2. Hopefully a better ride if I travel several hundred miles to a destination event.

Step vans are more common for food trucks and can be had cheap, but I used to drive one for a living and have big concerns over their reliability and comfort should I go long distance. I'm not looking to use the vehicle solely as a local food truck; I plan to take it on the road to moto events, car shows, open houses, festivals, product launches at new accounts and to test markets.

I was pretty set on a used Sprinter then a friend started sharing horror stories about the maintenance. Any input you owners have about your Sprinters would be greatly appreciated. I will probably need a 170" with a high ceiling to accommodate my purpose and its not like I will be putting 50k a year on it or anything near that.

Thanks,

Shep
Old 09-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #101
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
I purchased new my 2005 long/tall Sprinter for my handyman business. I'm at about 205000 miles on it now, and maintenance has been pretty minimal. I had a few issues with intake charge temp sensors, but those were resolved under warranty before the van turned 30K. Since then I have had to replace the glowplugs once, the intake turbo hose, the speed sensor plate in the transmission, and a few steering column master switches. Consumables have been easy to change, and I have done almost all of the servicing myself. Front and rear brakes have been changed once, shocks once, and oil/filters are changed every 10K.

It has proven to be an easy vehicle to service, up until you need to pull a code or reset a computer- the 05 has a hash of Dodge and Mercedes code running the computer and it can be a bitch to get a reader to interface with it. If you have an in with a good foreign car shop they may be able to assist if they have an advanced code reader with a subscription service. When I swapped out the sensor plate in my transmission it took 4 tries with 4 different readers to get one that would talk to the transmission and erase the fault code and allow it to get out of limp mode. This proved more frustrating than doing the actual mechanical work.

The biggest flaw with these trucks is their terrible paint and utter lack of rust proofing. I have had my van repainted once and the front touched up twice. They used a single stage paint with no apparent primer coat- this is a hard paint that chips away and exposed bare metal beneath, which quickly rusts. White seemed to be the worst color of them all, and guess what color 95% of the American Sprinters are?

The paint issue might be easily addressed if you are planning a full repaint for your business anyway- or a vinyl wrap. Just be sure to do a very thorough rust abatement before recoating anything.

Fuel mileage has been very good for me- I average 20 MPG in the winter and 22 in summer, and have seen a peak of 27 and a low of 16. even given the extra cost of the diesel fuel and the expense of the van it has penciled out well for me. If you don't plan on keeping the machine for a lot of miles the diesel may not be worth the extra cost- spend some time with a pencil, paper and calculator to work it all out.

I plan to keep my van for at least another 3-4 years- by which time I expect the body will be getting a bit tatty, thanks to the poor rust proofing. I'd buy another if they had gotten better...... The newer sprinters are a bit of a disappointment to me as they are more costly to operate. Seeing 20 MPG in them is evidently not an everyday occurrence. I am hoping the new Ford Transit or Dodge Promaster may offer a viable alternative.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #102
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
The ramps are CycleGear folding ramps. 7'5" and 750lb rated.
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A.../p/33225_00000

Got 'em on sale like now, and have used them for several years. I did push the DR in there by myself, but the GSA I started up and walked in with it. Either way, you need both ramps.
Great. Thanks for the link.

Baja

Kootenays

Old 09-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #103
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick View Post
I purchased new my 2005 long/tall Sprinter for my handyman business. I'm at about 205000 miles on it now, and maintenance has been pretty minimal. I had a few issues with intake charge temp sensors, but those were resolved under warranty before the van turned 30K. Since then I have had to replace the glowplugs once, the intake turbo hose, the speed sensor plate in the transmission, and a few steering column master switches. Consumables have been easy to change, and I have done almost all of the servicing myself. Front and rear brakes have been changed once, shocks once, and oil/filters are changed every 10K.

It has proven to be an easy vehicle to service, up until you need to pull a code or reset a computer- the 05 has a hash of Dodge and Mercedes code running the computer and it can be a bitch to get a reader to interface with it. If you have an in with a good foreign car shop they may be able to assist if they have an advanced code reader with a subscription service. When I swapped out the sensor plate in my transmission it took 4 tries with 4 different readers to get one that would talk to the transmission and erase the fault code and allow it to get out of limp mode. This proved more frustrating than doing the actual mechanical work.

The biggest flaw with these trucks is their terrible paint and utter lack of rust proofing. I have had my van repainted once and the front touched up twice. They used a single stage paint with no apparent primer coat- this is a hard paint that chips away and exposed bare metal beneath, which quickly rusts. White seemed to be the worst color of them all, and guess what color 95% of the American Sprinters are?

The paint issue might be easily addressed if you are planning a full repaint for your business anyway- or a vinyl wrap. Just be sure to do a very thorough rust abatement before recoating anything.

Fuel mileage has been very good for me- I average 20 MPG in the winter and 22 in summer, and have seen a peak of 27 and a low of 16. even given the extra cost of the diesel fuel and the expense of the van it has penciled out well for me. If you don't plan on keeping the machine for a lot of miles the diesel may not be worth the extra cost- spend some time with a pencil, paper and calculator to work it all out.

I plan to keep my van for at least another 3-4 years- by which time I expect the body will be getting a bit tatty, thanks to the poor rust proofing. I'd buy another if they had gotten better...... The newer sprinters are a bit of a disappointment to me as they are more costly to operate. Seeing 20 MPG in them is evidently not an everyday occurrence. I am hoping the new Ford Transit or Dodge Promaster may offer a viable alternative.
Thanks for that information. I have noticed paint issues on the ones I looked at so far. I would be wrapping it and, unless I go out of business for some reason, would be planning on keeping it for many years. By the time I make one food ready I will have quite a bit of cash wrapped up in it, so I better keep it!

Shep
Old 09-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #104
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,637
Back East, a lot of the ambulances/transfer vehicles were Sprinters, and most of them were repainted. Even then, most of places where anything was installed, and around wheel wells, were bubbling pretty badly after a few years.

Mine was the stock white, and every single scratch it ever got was a rust spot. When I installed the roof fan, I did everything I could to seal the square I cut, and any hole for securing it with primer first, and siliconed around the holes. In two years, the fan was basically lose from the rust around those screws. Even interior mounting points were rusting. I know a couple of people I talked to at campgrounds got surprised by a lot of rust between their insulation and the walls of the van as well. I was too scared to pull all mine out and look. I will say that the inside seems to be coated with the same lame paint the outside was, so if you're doing it right and repainting the outside, maybe think about a coating on the inside as well.

I've never had any vehicle rust like the Sprinter did. It's one of the headaches I'm glad to be done with, though I do frequently miss the van.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #105
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
I am very interested in what you Sprinter owners have to say about your vehicle. I am working toward taking my coffee roasting business mobile for special events and target markets. I have gone back and forth between step vans, enclosed trailers and Sprinters. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Two things I like about the Sprinter: 1. Acceptable gas mileage, 2. Hopefully a better ride if I travel several hundred miles to a destination event.

Step vans are more common for food trucks and can be had cheap, but I used to drive one for a living and have big concerns over their reliability and comfort should I go long distance. I'm not looking to use the vehicle solely as a local food truck; I plan to take it on the road to moto events, car shows, open houses, festivals, product launches at new accounts and to test markets.

I was pretty set on a used Sprinter then a friend started sharing horror stories about the maintenance. Any input you owners have about your Sprinters would be greatly appreciated. I will probably need a 170" with a high ceiling to accommodate my purpose and its not like I will be putting 50k a year on it or anything near that.

Thanks,

Shep
I would consider the enclosed trailer option...

- if you already have something that could tow it it could be the less pricey option;

- arguably easier to configure/modify to your needs;

- wider interior space and vertical walls;

- possibly lower floor height;

- flexibility. Say you're at a relatively secure venue that runs over one day, you could leave the trailer locked up at the site and use the tow rig to commute;

- in the event of engine problems forcing downtime, you have more options in terms of renting/borrowing a tow rig to haul the trailer to an important event while your truck's in the shop;

- expansion. In the event your business really takes off, it may be easier to expand with an additional trailer and shuttle them with the one tow rig.
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: