ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
4RunnerFever OP
Intercontinental

Oddometer: 256
Question GPS & Tennessee Portion of Transamerica Trail

Hi Everyone,
I am doing the Tennessee portion of the trans-am trail and hope that someone can hook me up with a GPS file of that section.

I've got the roll charts and maps, but there are so many turns in TN that loading them all into the computer is becoming quite time consuming - anybody willing to help me out??
Old 04-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,498
I'd say quicherbichin, nut-up and do it.

Even with all of the turns, flipping of map pages, and tedium, mapping the whole of AR (4XX miles worth) in City Navigator took all of 45 minutes.

Working up a GPS route for TN couldn't take all that long.

Dirty
Old 04-18-2007, 04:34 AM   #3
4RunnerFever OP
Intercontinental

Oddometer: 256
Old 04-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
dirtdidler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I think if you have bought the maps from Sam and gave him his props, sharing tracks is perfectly fine, after all this is what the forum is about. If you have'nt done the trail and are speaking out your ass, then no comment is really needed. In no way should any waypoints be posted publicly, only to people that have bought the maps and can prove it.

dirtdidler screwed with this post 04-28-2007 at 08:44 AM
dirtdidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #5
Buddy
n00b 4 life

Oddometer: 29
Thank uou

I was hoping someone would have a positive comment on this one. We ended up spending hours entering those damn waypoints. FYI there are a ton of turns in TN. It was worth every second but I could have been fixing all the stuff I broke the day before on my bike rather than doing that.

I understand how this is touchy since nobody wants Sam getting screwed out of all of his hard work but as long as you have purchsed the maps (why not, they are a deal) then help a brotha out and share. I can't imagine how much work went into getting these routes setup, it was an amazing trip. I was sad to turn off of the trail and head for home.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
spinninmywheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Working on the GPS thing myself.....

I agree with the gps thing instead of using the roll charts which came with the maps. I have been working on this for a week a little at a time so that this summer me and several of my friends are going to ride the TN portion. (As far as someone thinking that everyone out there sharing info is trying to rip someone off, the first intersection is 5.19 miles, then the next is 12.54, the next is 28.36 and so on.) I am working to put this on my 276c with City Navigator. When I get finished I don't mind sharing the information and if someone else finishes before me I would love the assistance.

Marty
Attached Images

spinninmywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #7
Buddy
n00b 4 life

My information is from a Garmin 2610. If that would do you any good and can swear on your left turn signal that you have bought the stuff from Sam then I would be happy to share.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:20 AM   #8
Buddy
n00b 4 life

BTW, watch those creek crossings in TN. Just a little slick.

http://picasaweb.google.com/straughn...81528584981762
Old 05-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
wvonkessler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I did Tennessee in a car. Way too much asphalt. Look for a TSD rally coming up out of Dayton, Tennessee, that uses all the dirt roads known to me in East Tennessee between I-40 and I-24 outside of the Cherokee National Forest. Probably will post in the Racing forum.

Regards,

Wilson
wvonkessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
spinninmywheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
It appears that you found the slick spot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy
BTW, watch those creek crossings in TN. Just a little slick.

http://picasaweb.google.com/straughn...81528584981762
Hope it didn't hurt to much on your machine, but that is a cool photo in some kinda sick way.

Marty
spinninmywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #11
SuperBonBon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Well, I've definitely bought the maps from Sam and I'll definitely gave him props (and my money) for creating them!

That being said, I've also just spent over of 40 hours transferring ALL his map information from paper to GPS. Nevada alone took over 10 hours (I used the US Topo software for it, zoomed in to 0.2 mile scale to create them by hand) I have them each by individual state and compounded into an entire TAT route. Just so you know, the hand-created Nevada and Utah sections REALLY bog down your computer due to the sheer amount of waypoints in them. Of course, the entire TAT GPS file includes all that information in addition to the rest of the States, so it goes slower still....

As far as Tenesse goes, I entered each GPS waypoint listed on the rollcharts individually and created a route that way. I found that the route that Mapsource created sometimes went by "highway" instead of the intended back roads on Sam's maps - and that many waypoints were just slightly off the intended intersections (at least by Mapsource's reckoning). So, I redid Tennessee, and cleaned things up.

SuperBonBon screwed with this post 03-17-2011 at 10:31 PM
SuperBonBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #12
touche
RidAventure maniac

Oddometer: 164
My 2 cents on this...

I spent so many hours entering the roll charts in MapSource... too many hours I'de say.

Sam did a great job, by documenting the TAT, and what he sells is a great added value for those looking forward to do it.

But this is it... I don't agree whith this so called "solidarity"... its product is ride support with added value, having the route on a GPS doesn't tell averything and riders should take advantage of Sam's work by purchasing it.

But forcing each and every rider to re create it himself, is exagerated. And by the way even those who don't want to share their work have for sure provided it to their fellow riders... simple common sense...

I am happy of what I bought from Sam, but I woul dhave appreciate to find the mapsource routes so I could save hours...

What about all the gps traks posted bu ther peaople... are they lest valuable ? because one guy tries to sell something we can no longer share it ?

Voilà !
touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
RoughRider
elderly windbreaker

Oddometer: 122
Maybe Sam could begin

gathering the GPS route routings from his customers that have created and used them, then provide them as an option to future customers.

RoughRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 17,346
GPS Track

I drew a trackline to follow (instead of building a route). It was easy and quick - even for the 2100 miles from TN thru NM. See post 72 for details . . .
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=225458&page=5

If you've got the maps, I don't see a problem sharing this track. Even if you had the track, you would still want the maps as they have other info on them.

Sam Correro has done some wonderful work with this thing and he has my deep appreciation, admiration, and respect. Here is a quote from his website regarding any fees he collects for map sets.
"The price of my TAT-Map/TAT-Roll Chart odometer system of navigation is meant only to cover my costs of production and to cover the shipping fees to send to you. Mostly, I just want to share this amazing adventure."

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-14-2007 at 10:25 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #15
touche
RidAventure maniac

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
If you've got the maps, I don't see a problem sharing this track. Even if you had the track, you would still want the maps as they have other info on them.
I got them for Tennesse, Mississipi and Arkansas, and now I am done with the routing in Mapsouce.

I did reproduce the exact route from roll charts, linking waypoints named by the mileage as on the roll chats, that way riding with both GPS and rolls will be easy...

touche screwed with this post 05-14-2007 at 09:27 PM
touche is offline   Reply With Quote