ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #31
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,584
Unfortunately, many of the log truck drivers have the attitude that "it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six." They have to. There are few ways for a working man to get rich in the woods. Everyone in the timber harvesting industry is judged by one measure: output at the mill. It's a dangerous and difficult job, and these guys work their asses off. They are my friends and neighbors, and I respect them.

There are enough idiots on the road on two and four wheels to keep them awake. Showing the landowners that motorcycles are a safe and sane is the only way that access will become legal.

I have some personal issues with the organizations that manage both the Maine woods and the Adirondacks. The large holdings in the Daks and the Maine woods read like a who's who of some of the wealthiest people in America. The restrictions to public access go back before there was a United States. A massive portion of the lands are managed as a private preserve for these folk. I've been a guest at the Finch Paper lodge in the Adirondacks, with the thousands of acres of private land surrounding it. It was nice to be invited, but not very egalitarian. Large parcels in Maine are managed by folk ranging from the Sikorsky heirs to the many old-rich people in the North Maine Woods Corporation.

Timber is a dying industry in New England. The Maine woodlands are slowly being converted to more public forms as the balance sheet goes from profit to loss on logs. However, some of the conversion is going toward foot/restricted access and quasi "Wilderness Areas" as have some large purchases made recently by the Appalachian Mountain Club (aka the "Amalgamated Money Corporation.") of Five Joy Street, Boston. Strangely, the membership list of the old folk at the AMC and North Maine Woods and Seven Islands Land Corp share quite a few members. These groups are generally averse to open public access, except where it helps their balance sheet.

I sound like a raving loony, I know. I base it on this: my first wife was AMC/Seven Islands/ NMW stock. I have the shirt on that one. I myself worked for Mother AMC for six years.I've been all over that country on air, water, foot, and roads. The only way to get access is to prove that motorcycles are neither a detriment or risk. This could take some lobbying on the local legislature, some jumping and shouting with the AMA, and taking the cause into public forums.

BMWKLR is correct. In the current situation, private land is just that, and you can get busted for simply being there.

I know that I am a far smaller risk to the average logging operation than an SUV filled with folk on vacation who haven't seen anything but blacktop since they last took the kids to see Bumpa and Nono at the lake.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #32
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
what part of private don't you understand?

I understand it. It's the discrimination I don't understand. The excuse they use is baloney. But whatever, their days are numbered anyways. The world is going paperless.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #33
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Canuman - What kind of roads are those in Canada? Is that forest land too? Never been there, but I thought I read somewhere in this site that the terrain changed dramatically north of the border for some reason.

And also, thanks for your great work. I have a new 690 arriving next week or two. I'll set it up for touring the kinds of paths you are linking together.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #34
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Canuman - What kind of roads are those in Canada? Is that forest land too? Never been there, but I thought I read somewhere in this site that the terrain changed dramatically north of the border for some reason.

And also, thanks for your great work. I have a new 690 arriving next week or two. I'll set it up for touring the kinds of paths you are linking together.
It depends where you are along the route. The unpaved roads in Estrie (the Eastern Townships) tend to be quite high-standard gravel. They are suitable for relatively high speeds. Much of the first part of the route goes through farmlands. While we tend to consider our northern border tenuous for agriculture, it's the best Canada has, and they use it. The small towns tend to be quite civilized and urbane. It's perfect for relaxed touring on a bike that is more road-oriented.

Compared to Northern New England, the terrain in Estrie is flatter, and less twisty.

Further north and east, in Chaudiere-Appalaches, things resemble Maine more. Agriculture becomes less important than logging. The terrain is hillier and more broken, and the population density less. (The majority of Canada's population is within 200 miles of the US border.)

As one gets north of Quebec City, the majority of the population hugs the St. Lawrence. There are some very exciting roads up in the Gaspe, both though remote areas and along the shore. It is a truly world-class destination. The Chic-Choc mountains are a destination for hikers and adventure skiers from around the world.

Access tends to be better than in the US. It's unlike the North Maine Woods for the simple fact that people actually live there in towns and villages, and have to get in and out, get groceries, and conduct their business. I realize that people do live in the Maine woods, but the numbers are smaller and the reasons different.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #35
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Hey thanks on that. Very helpful. In the northeast we have to share a lot more than those lucky bastids in the southwest. We have great potential, though. Just need more area to explore....like northern Maine.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
...years back dirt bikers made a bad reputation by vandalizing forestry equipment and we now suffer the consequences
I suspect this has a lot to do with the reception riders get.

Effing shame.
nhbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #37
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,806
Don't forget the Trans PA Trail
Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #38
Hich76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Don't forget the Trans PA Trail

Hi new here, how does one get the Trans PA Trail - GPS Track. Is that part of the TAT tracks?

Would like to give this a try, since a live on Long Island...thanks....hich
Hich76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #39
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hich76 View Post
Hi new here, how does one get the Trans PA Trail - GPS Track. Is that part of the TAT tracks?

Would like to give this a try, since a live on Long Island...thanks....hich
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594569

I have ridden from Frenchtown NJ to Empurium PA. (2.5 days)
This spring I will finish proof riding the Emporium to Michaux state forest section. (another 2.5 days)
(there is something I need to fix just below Emporium)
Michaux is where you can pickup the Trans WV trail and continue south.
I am just waiting until it stays above freezing before I can move my RV to my base camp.

There is also a crew looking at test riding a section from Hancock NY to Wellsboro pa (alt day 1 route) that will bypass the Trans NJ trail.

Also there is a crew in Michaux that has like 800 miles of Adventure routes laid out, and they are finishing proof riding them this spring. I hope to include all there tracks into the Trans PA Trail Zip file.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #40
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,608
Hi Canu, for the route you made on days 2 and 3, what would you say the dirt/pavement % is?

And from the Boyce cemetary/mud pond area up north, the route is parallel to the powerlines. Can I assume the lines are impassable in that area?

I only got one week this year and I'm gonna try to do as much dirt as possible.

Edit: nevermind, I was viewing in google maps, when open with earth it doesn't snap to roads and the route here is indeed the power lines.

devo2002 screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 08:21 PM
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #41
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,386
Very cool initiative. Thank you.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #42
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Any updates to these tracks? Any updates planned before August?

I'm in the initial planning stages of a week long trip from Boston. Looking for big-bike stuff. Was originally thinking of going up around the Cabot Trail, but to make it up to Nova Scotia and back in a week would require a lot of superslab, now that the Cat Ferry is out of the equation.

Was thinking instead of running up the Puppy Dog then following the Northern New England Adventure Trail over to the NE corner of Maine there and then working my way back down.

I figure 2 days for the Puppy Dog, and then 3 days for the NNEAT?
zeeede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #43
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,608
You should wait until late September if you can Zeete

Here is a link asking others to join me in verifying the route either the week before or after Canuman's RedNEK Rendezvous. I'll be on my dr350, who's with me?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808748
Old 07-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #44
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
You should wait until late September if you can Zeete

Here is a link asking others to join me in verifying the route either the week before or after Canuman's RedNEK Rendezvous. I'll be on my dr350, who's with me?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808748
All ready have vacation put in for work, and I just started this job this year, so vacation days are hard to come by. Picked that week because I'll be riding with BostonRider, who starts classes again in September.
zeeede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #45
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I've been checking out the NNEAT route, specifically the Burke to Canaan section.

I'm thinking that might be a day trip for me starting here in Greensboro. Canuman, how does that section break down as far as trail/dirt/paved?
tdvt is online now   Reply With Quote