Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #151
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the designers focused on making the MyFordTouch solution beautiful, and just slapped the less expensive Sync solution in as an afterthought for rental car markets and us manual tranny drivers.
That's what it seems like for most of them, you can't get the top end displays on the Accord with a manual. Instead you get a ton of buttons much bigger than they need to be to fill that space:

Though it is still an improvement over the last Accord:

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #152
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
I still want a Volvo C30 just to play with the floating dashboard.

Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #153
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,176
I picked up my new 2013 Fusion SE yesterday, and wow what an improvement over the 2011 Fusion I turned in (company cars)! The 2013 is 100x better in every way over the old model. After 70k nearly trouble free miles on my 2011, it was nice, but also felt cheap and noisy.

The 2013 rides and drives like a European import (as it should). My 2011 had the base 2.5L 4 cyl, and it really had to work to get you up to speed. The 2013 I got has the 1.6L 4 cyl. "Ecoboost" turbo engine and it's very powerful and smooth. The interior on the 2013 is light years ahead of the old model, and even my somewhat stripped SE model has a ton of features. I picked white exterior with the dark sand interior. With a black dash and carpets, the light interior looks really good. The new Fusion design really turns heads, whereas my 2011 looked like a generic "company car".

Only 100 miles on the new ride so far, so we'll see how this plays out. So far the feedback from our fleet of a few hundred new Fusions is very positive. This is the first domestic car I've had that doesn't make me miss my prior Honda Accord.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #154
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 7,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom View Post
I picked up my new 2013 Fusion SE yesterday, and wow what an improvement over the 2011 Fusion I turned in (company cars)! The 2013 is 100x better in every way over the old model. After 70k nearly trouble free miles on my 2011, it was nice, but also felt cheap and noisy.

The 2013 rides and drives like a European import (as it should). My 2011 had the base 2.5L 4 cyl, and it really had to work to get you up to speed. The 2013 I got has the 1.6L 4 cyl. "Ecoboost" turbo engine and it's very powerful and smooth. The interior on the 2013 is light years ahead of the old model, and even my somewhat stripped SE model has a ton of features. I picked white exterior with the dark sand interior. With a black dash and carpets, the light interior looks really good. The new Fusion design really turns heads, whereas my 2011 looked like a generic "company car".

Only 100 miles on the new ride so far, so we'll see how this plays out. So far the feedback from our fleet of a few hundred new Fusions is very positive. This is the first domestic car I've had that doesn't make me miss my prior Honda Accord.
Turbo, you say.... ? I may need to take a look at those new Fords. What grade fuel is required?
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #155
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
Turbo, you say.... ? I may need to take a look at those new Fords. What grade fuel is required?
I was looking this morning, and although I didn't get too deep into it I came away thinking you could use whatever octane rating you wanted at a normal pump.

The reason is the HP and torque numbers are reported as "when using premium fuel" on the Ford website.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #156
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I was looking this morning, and although I didn't get too deep into it I came away thinking you could use whatever octane rating you wanted at a normal pump.

The reason is the HP and torque numbers are reported as "when using premium fuel" on the Ford website.
I thought all turbos required high octane due to compression?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #157
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
I thought all turbos required high octane due to compression?

If I were to buy one, I would run premium unless the manual says otherwise.

Edit:

From Ford's website:

Horsepower (SAE net @ rpm) 1.6 L Ecoboost: 178 @ 5,700 (premium fuel) 173 @ 5,700 (regular fuel) 2.0 L Ecoboost: 240 @ 5,500 (premium fuel) 231 @ 5,500 (regular fuel)
Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #158
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Wow! A 2013 Fusion with the 1.6L EcoBoost and manual trans, with leather is $26,655.

One more thing to make me want to drive my new CVT Subaru into a bridge abutment.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #159
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,635
I'm wondering when the auto manufacturers are going to do away with have a big ugly stick for automatic transmission selection. If we're going to push button starts, why cant we have a neat row of buttons on the dash somewhere that say "P R N D" and open up that space for other things?
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #160
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
I'm wondering when the auto manufacturers are going to do away with have a big ugly stick for automatic transmission selection. If we're going to push button starts, why cant we have a neat row of buttons on the dash somewhere that say "P R N D" and open up that space for other things?
Been done for at least 60 years.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #161
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Heh, well they need to bring it back. What's old is new again, amirite?
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #162
CheesyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
Heh, well they need to bring it back. What's old is new again, amirite?
It is back: http://www.lincoln.com/cars/mkz/?hpt...2138a-mkz-frnt
Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #163
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Regular 87 octane is all our fleet car credit cards will allow us to pump. Every other turbo car I've owned (GTI and Vulva C30) wanted top grade premium. I see no mention anywhere in the manual or fuel filler area that says "use premium". Heck even my wifes Lexus ES350 wants super.....
Old 05-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #164
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,147
I use regular fuel in both our VW 2.0T's during cooler weather, and see little difference beyond a slight drop in fuel economy. Never have heard a ping out of either car with regular in the tank.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #165
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
I use regular fuel in both our VW 2.0T's during cooler weather, and see little difference beyond a slight drop in fuel economy. Never have heard a ping out of either car with regular in the tank.
Ah, the beauty of modern injection systems with knock sensors

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: