Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #61
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
I've rented a bunch of different cars for work travel. I currently own a 2005 four cylinder Accord for reference.

I've rented a Malibu (meh), Altima (absolutely hated the seats, other than that ok), Impala(how do they still sell these) and a couple of Fusions. I really like the Fusion and prefer it even over my Accord. If I had to replace my car today there wouldn't even be a question. Well, the question would be v6 Vs. Hybrid.

I don't like the looks of the new ones, but I haven't seen one in person yet.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #62
Fleece Johnson
Husky Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
columbus auto show

They have the new fusion on display. Can't get in it or anything. Also its only the plug in and hybrid versions.
Fleece Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #63
nskitts OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleece Johnson View Post
They have the new fusion on display. Can't get in it or anything. Also its only the plug in and hybrid versions.
Hmmm..where is it, Veteran's Memorial? I may just try and make it up there and check it out. I won't be buying the hybrid. I don't know why they wouldn't have the all gas one displayed...dammit.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #64
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
Just read an article about the new Fusion- no more V6. There is the base 2.5 liter 4, a 1.6 liter Ecoboost 4, a turbo 2.0 Ecoboost 4 w/ 237 horses. Then there are 2 hybrid models, one plug-in.

Lots of options there.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #65
Fleece Johnson
Husky Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
Hmmm..where is it, Veteran's Memorial? I may just try and make it up there and check it out. I won't be buying the hybrid. I don't know why they wouldn't have the all gas one displayed...dammit.
It's at the Columbus Convention Center. On High St. a couple blocks north of Nationwide Arena. It was 7 bucks to park, it was the closest parking. You might be able to find cheaper further out and 8 bucks to get in.

The Hybrid was on the floor. Didn't look any different than the "regular" one. The plug in was up on a pedestal and it looked a little different.
Fleece Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #66
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
No shit. My wife just bought a TDI 4 door with a manual- I never would have guessed that the gasser was only available with an auto. How odd.

Due to sales volume, the days of the manual transmission are waning. Especially here in the US. Volumes of manuals sold are so small, it is hardly worth it for companies to put them on the market. If sales are less than 5%-- 5 out of 100-- it is probably cheaper to just make them all autos. I kind of think right now the only reason that most manufacturers have any cars with a manual is so they can mark up the auto "$1000" for something that doesn't cost them nearly that much more.

And overall, looking at the "super car" market, the trend is world wide. Both Ferrari (California) and Lambo are making their final manual transmission cars- with a clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #67
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,881
FWIW VWs DSG transmission has two clutches, but no pedal for either on the floor.

One of the reasons the manual is going away is that as the autos get smarter, they also get better fuel economy than the manual. See Ford Mustang.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #68
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,506

One of the better looking Cup cars in recent years.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #69
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
As these threads wouldn't have any form without contrariness - may I respectfully suggest

p.s. The resemblance to an Aston Martin is like comparing Sandra Bernhard with Angelina Jollie on account both woman have large grills
I've owned VWs in the past and that experience combined with their current high prices and questionable performances in current reliability studies would keep me away from them. Shame really, as the TDI options tick a lot of boxes. Reliability and expense to maintain mean even more to me than MPG, even at today's prices.
I'm a big Ford fan, but is it made in the U.S.? I thought it was North American, but not U.S..
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #70
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Ford is on the ball and making some great stuff. The Japanese are just making overweight versions of their bland 1990s cars and still using the 1990s tech. The Koreans are making some good stuff, I'd suggest you cross shop the Fusion with the Kia Optima. It's also a particularly attractive car with modestly sporting pretensions. Another outside possibility is the Suzuki.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #71
CheesyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Now that the 2013 Fusion is at the dealers, I thought I'd bump this thread back to the top.

My wife and I took a look at the car today. We were very impressed. After we got home with our crabby toddler, my wife decided to go back by herself and take one for a test drive. She didn't expect to like it, but came away very happy. The car she drove had a tiny 1.6 turbo and an automatic, but she felt it had plenty of power. She was surprised how "European" the driving experience was.

We might be ordering one within the next couple of weeks as that is about to only way to get one with a manual transmission. I'm a little wary of getting a first model year car, but it will be primarily her car, so who am I to argue.

One really nice thing about the Fusion is that you can actually get a nicely equipped manual trans car. It is hard to find a mid sized car that even has a manual available. And when you do, it is usually a base model with few available options.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen one in person or taken one for a test drive.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #72
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,482
My little sister and her fiancé just put down payments on a pair - an SE and a Hybrid. She does a lot of driving around DC where the hybrid should shine. He has a bit longer more highway oriented commute. They are taking delivery in six to eight weeks - (his dad retired as a VP of some aspect of FoMoCo so hey had a handsome discount) and I will check in with impressions then.

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #73
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
Now that the 2013 Fusion is at the dealers, I thought I'd bump this thread back to the top.

My wife and I took a look at the car today. We were very impressed. After we got home with our crabby toddler, my wife decided to go back by herself and take one for a test drive. She didn't expect to like it, but came away very happy. The car she drove had a tiny 1.6 turbo and an automatic, but she felt it had plenty of power. She was surprised how "European" the driving experience was.

We might be ordering one within the next couple of weeks as that is about to only way to get one with a manual transmission. I'm a little wary of getting a first model year car, but it will be primarily her car, so who am I to argue.

One really nice thing about the Fusion is that you can actually get a nicely equipped manual trans car. It is hard to find a mid sized car that even has a manual available. And when you do, it is usually a base model with few available options.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen one in person or taken one for a test drive.
Nissan is horrible about this, Honda will let you get an EX model but not one with leather and the top end features. I just built a Fusion online and you can get pretty much everything except the dual LCD gauge cluster and Navi with the 1.6/6 speed manual. But you can get full leather power seats etc.

This is a problem for most cars though, I'm really happy with Ford and GM at least with the Cruze for putting out nicely equipt standard cars.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #74
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
The new Fusion is beautiful and economical. It's what America has been asking for. A reasonable car, with european styling, that is fairly cheap, and is more or less american made.

Seriously considering dropping the CX-7 since we already had the FJ as an SUV, and replacing it with a fusion or a taurus.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #75
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
I'm a big Ford fan, but is it made in the U.S.? I thought it was North American, but not U.S..
Response to an old post, but yes, these are assembled in Flat Rock, Michigan.....

MN_Smurf screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 04:46 AM
MN_Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: