User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
strider.deano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
9X0 vs 1190 Service Times

Why is there such a difference in KTM's service times between the 9X0 and the 1190's?
For example, the 30,000KM service on the 09-13 990R is suppose to take 320 minutes to complete. The same service on a '13 1190 is suppose to only 136 minutes.
I generally do my own oil, tires and brake work and don't have the skills or inclination to do anything else. While we need to support the dealers as much as possible, most of us tight-asses order all our parts and supplies on-line. So the only money I'm going to spend at a dealer is for a major service. The other day, I was chatting with a small KTM dealer about doing the more in-depth maintenance. He told me KTM is designing the bikes to be physically easier to service but harder technically. He also told me he only uses book time for warranty work. All other work he bills actual time. I responded by telling him, "let me know when your mechanic as done a major service on 10 bikes so I'm not paying for the guy to learn."
I read here and elsewhere of $400-600 in labor being quoted for a major service.

Is it possible that the dealers are just quoting what they have charged in the past for 9X0 and do not understand that the 1190 is expected to to take less time?
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote