User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #136
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 254
Question Battery Upkeep

A very useful thread, thanks to all the contributors. Having a blast on my new 990 Adv R. Due to the down low location of the battery, looking for advice and suggestions on setting up/cable routing for using Battery Tender. I've always plugged my bikes in at the end of the day.
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #137
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
A very useful thread, thanks to all the contributors. Having a blast on my new 990 Adv R. Due to the down low location of the battery, looking for advice and suggestions on setting up/cable routing for using Battery Tender. I've always plugged my bikes in at the end of the day.
I plug my Battery Tender into the 12v. outlet. It's rated for 10amps and the Battery Tender's output is way less than that. Worked great last winter.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #138
Sacal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Optimate4 came with the cable and water resistant cover for the connector. I ran the cable from the battery connectors out the rear left side of the battery box, up the frame behind the left fuel tank and cable tied it behind the fan. Easy to get to and pretty well protected. The connector for my Gerbings lives there also...Mmmmm winter is coming
Old 09-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #139
elron
Still Standing

Thumb Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
I plug my Battery Tender into the 12v. outlet. It's rated for 10amps and the Battery Tender's output is way less than that. Worked great last winter.
Quote:
Optimate4 came with the cable and water resistant cover for the connector. I ran the cable from the battery connectors out the rear left side of the battery box, up the frame behind the left fuel tank and cable tied it behind the fan. Easy to get to and pretty well protected. The connector for my Gerbings lives there also...Mmmmm winter is coming
Thanks for your responses. Sacal, sounds like a good way to route. Ladukebob, did you just splice on a plug, or did yours come with the right kind of plug-in for the 12v socket?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #140
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,367
I used to deal with battery tenders all the time...

Recently put a Shorai battery in my 950. HIGHLY recommended! Spin's fast, very slow self-discharge, prices have come down quite a bit.

I know they have been discussed elsewhere, but thought it was worth mentioning again with the charger discussion.

I have had good luck with a couple of batteries from Shorai, but I think most of the other Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePo4) battery offerings are also quite good!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #141
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Ladukebob, did you just splice on a plug, or did yours come with the right kind of plug-in for the 12v socket?
Bought a 12v plug at NAPA and spiced it into one end and the other end has the same plugs as the Battery Tender. They are also the same ends as my small air compressor, so the 12v plug works for both the tender and the compressor. The Tender also comes with clips in case you want to hook onto battery terminals.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #142
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Once I installed the Blackdog skid plate I was able to just hook up a standard Battery Tender cable.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #143
elron
Still Standing

Thumb Easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Once I installed the Blackdog skid plate I was able to just hook up a standard Battery Tender cable.

Nothing like keeping it simple moto-treks. Cool thing is I just ordered a BDCW skid plate this am. Although, I can see having a plug in for convenience too.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #144
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Nothing like keeping it simple moto-treks. Cool thing is I just ordered a BDCW skid plate this am. Although, I can see having a plug in for convenience too.
I wired a "BMW" plugin for my electric vest so I can use that too. Just depedns on which charger is closer

Moto-Treks

moto-treks screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 02:28 PM
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #145
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,395
Cool thread.

On the oil filter front - CJRacer's clutch window cover. I appreciate the paper filter idea but I never seem to have them or plan ahead and order them when I should so I like to use Scotts filters and have for years. CJ's cover is bling but I find that I use it more frequently to assess the condition of the oil and it's nice to see it at the level of the window (understanding it's a dry sump bike and the tank could be low still.) I once flooded the bike and knew from the window that my engine was filled with water.

Spare Keys: I always keep a spare key zip tied to the frame (hidden of course) on long trips and another in my luggage.

Best 950/990 Party Trick: Has your battery died and you don't relish the idea of laying on your back to undo the skid plate to get to the battery? If you're traveling with another 950/990 owner put both bikes on the center stands with the rear wheels touching and use the running bike to spin the bejezus out of the other bike. Dead bike in second, running bike in second or first. Can't say why I like this so much but I really do. It feels like cheating.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #146
propilot10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Great thread! Thanks guys. +1 subscribed.
propilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #147
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Cool thread.

On the oil filter front - CJRacer's clutch window cover. I appreciate the paper filter idea but I never seem to have them or plan ahead and order them when I should so I like to use Scotts filters and have for years. CJ's cover is bling but I find that I use it more frequently to assess the condition of the oil and it's nice to see it at the level of the window (understanding it's a dry sump bike and the tank could be low still.) I once flooded the bike and knew from the window that my engine was filled with water.

Spare Keys: I always keep a spare key zip tied to the frame (hidden of course) on long trips and another in my luggage.

Best 950/990 Party Trick: Has your battery died and you don't relish the idea of laying on your back to undo the skid plate to get to the battery? If you're traveling with another 950/990 owner put both bikes on the center stands with the rear wheels touching and use the running bike to spin the bejezus out of the other bike. Dead bike in second, running bike in second or first. Can't say why I like this so much but I really do. It feels like cheating.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Gregor
Hope it's OK but I've nicked that video to crosspost over to another forum !!

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #148
elron
Still Standing

Eek Shift Lever Problem /Question?

Pilfered diagram below from another thread. Was out today, 3rd time on my new 2012 990 ADV R, having a blast practicing/playing in the dirt. Went to downshift and the shift lever while initially engaging and completing the gear change continued to rotate down way past normal. Stopped bike to check out. The lever would now rotate all the way up and/or down way past normal range. Only thing stopping it is contact with some other part. Not a free swing, it will stay wherever you stop rotating it but still it would move to the extreme ends way beyond normal range and no longer engages the gears. So ok, must have come loose - right, and slipped off the splines/teeth of the shaft. I tried to tighten the nut (#19), it was pretty tight already and I didn't want to over torque and break it, but the little bit of tightening I did made no difference. Other problem, after removing bolt #19 and washers #17 & 18, I am unable to remove the lever, I've pried it, tapped it, but no in or out movement, I cannot slide it any further off or on, although it still rotates as described above. I'm thinking it was lose or loosened while riding and slid of the teeth a little and is no longer engaging the teeth on the shift shaft (say that 5 times fast). The space between the back (engine) side of the lever (13) and washer(?) #12 is ~ 3/8 to 1/2 inch, should it be closer or flush? Is it a tapered shaft? WTF? I am under warranty, it's new but it's also a 75 mile trailer trip to take the bike in, so....any ideas or suggestions from those of you experienced with the 990 would be greatly appreciated.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #149
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Pilfered diagram below from another thread. Was out today, 3rd time on my new 2012 990 ADV R, having a blast practicing/playing in the dirt. Went to downshift and the shift lever while initially engaging and completing the gear change continued to rotate down way past normal. Stopped bike to check out. The lever would now rotate all the way up and/or down way past normal range. Only thing stopping it is contact with some other part. Not a free swing, it will stay wherever you stop rotating it but still it would move to the extreme ends way beyond normal range and no longer engages the gears. So ok, must have come loose - right, and slipped off the splines/teeth of the shaft. I tried to tighten the nut (#19), it was pretty tight already and I didn't want to over torque and break it, but the little bit of tightening I did made no difference. Other problem, after removing bolt #19 and washers #17 & 18, I am unable to remove the lever, I've pried it, tapped it, but no in or out movement, I cannot slide it any further off or on, although it still rotates as described above. I'm thinking it was lose or loosened while riding and slid of the teeth a little and is no longer engaging the teeth on the shift shaft (say that 5 times fast). The space between the back (engine) side of the lever (13) and washer(?) #12 is ~ 3/8 to 1/2 inch, should it be closer or flush? Is it a tapered shaft? WTF? I am under warranty, it's new but it's also a 75 mile trailer trip to take the bike in, so....any ideas or suggestions from those of you experienced with the 990 would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to put your question in it's own thread in the OC forum. This thread is more for what new owners need to know about the 950/990, not to ask questions.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #150
elron
Still Standing

I hear ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
You might want to put your question in it's own thread in the OC forum. This thread is more for what new owners need to know about the 950/990, not to ask questions.
I am a new owner and it is something I need to know, but I hear ya and understand what you're getting at.

I would say though that questions are valid here, if related to a 'legit' post.. Agreed this one doesn't purely fit that criteria.

Do I need to rewrite and post or is there a way to move my existing post to start a new OC thread or add to an existing thread other than this one?

Moved to new thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826991

elron screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 01:41 PM Reason: moved to new thread