ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #31
Milehi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Tires...

Start looking for a rear tire, these bikes are hard on them......
Milehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #32
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,817
Check your oil after every ride until you get to know your bike.

Some of these bikes do consume oil and every one seems to be different.

As per your owner's manual, you want to check the oil when the engine is hot but I would also offer:
Come up with a consistent way to check your oil and do it the same every time (because the levels will read differently depending on engine temperature).
Personally I do it every time I get home and roll into the garage after taking my helmet and gloves off (i.e. engine at full temp).

The difference between the max oil line and the min (end) of the dipstick is 500ml of oil. As per your owner's manual, you screw it all the way in to the bottom before you remove it to check it.

You may find your first several rides that the bike is not using any oil, but the first time you really ride it hard (say spinning up the tire offroad or getting stuck and slipping the clutch a bunch) your oil consumption may be higher for that specific ride because of the revs you used.

Overtime you'll get to know *your* bike and when (if) you need to top it off; just take the time to build that relationship instead of assuming "things are all good".
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #33
950trailrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Checking oil level

Great thread Geek! I have picked up so much information on these bikes from this forum, it's a great resource. There is a whole new group of owners that will be served by your initiative.

If you have one of the earlier bikes (mine is a 2004 GO!!! model) it is hard to see the oil level on the smooth aluminum dipstick, especially with the thin synthetic oil. It helps to use a file to modiffy the section where the level is supposed to be to create a flat surface and then apply a bit of a crosshatch pattern with the corner of the file, a hacksaw or even a utility knife, on that surface for the oil to "hang" on.
(I think the dipstick was changed to a differently shaped plastic one on later bikes).
950trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #34
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,088
Either learn to ride or lift weights so you can pick it up!! Best tip I ever got
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #35
iPaul
n00b

Oddometer: 3
This thread is very useful,
Thanks!
iPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #36
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,631
To get the most fuel in the bike fill it up when it's on the center stand. Word of caution though, fuel will leak out of the left tank when parked on the side stand (when both fuel tanks are full). I park my bike on the center stand until I ride 30-40 miles and use up some of the fuel.

If you're riding slow and technical there's a chance your fuel tanks will pressurize. This is most commonly caused by a pinched vent line when putting gas-tanks back on the bike (though there are other causes). If the gas tanks are pressurized and you open the gas cap fuel will explode out of the tank and into your face.

If you have a right side fan kit installed it's a good idea to buy, build, or create a fan shroud to keep the hot air from blowing onto the gas tank and boiling your gas (really only a problem in slow, technical riding). Many people use KTM OEM part number 60035044050 ($6 or so) and modify it.

TheMuffinMan screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 05:18 PM
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #37
Alejo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Hard to check the oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Check your oil after every ride until you get to know your bike.

Some of these bikes do consume oil and every one seems to be different.

As per your owner's manual, you want to check the oil when the engine is hot but I would also offer:
Come up with a consistent way to check your oil and do it the same every time (because the levels will read differently depending on engine temperature).
Personally I do it every time I get home and roll into the garage after taking my helmet and gloves off (i.e. engine at full temp).

The difference between the max oil line and the min (end) of the dipstick is 500ml of oil. As per your owner's manual, you screw it all the way in to the bottom before you remove it to check it.

You may find your first several rides that the bike is not using any oil, but the first time you really ride it hard (say spinning up the tire offroad or getting stuck and slipping the clutch a bunch) your oil consumption may be higher for that specific ride because of the revs you used.

Overtime you'll get to know *your* bike and when (if) you need to top it off; just take the time to build that relationship instead of assuming "things are all good".
I really appreciate all this info here. even though I am not a new 950/990 owner I could tell that to check the oil level is almost impossible on this bikes, I have had a 05 950 a 07 990 and now I have a 12 990 R and canīt read properly the oil level, actually I change the oil yesterday with out a needed because the level was to low (min mark) I did not add any thing because I had added to much oil and the mark was still on the min mark, at the end I took out 3.6 liters, I put 3 liters of new synthetic oil and did what ever the manual says and the mark is still on the min mark.. WTF I donīt understand.

Any way, just wanted to say that since to ride the bike with low oil is as bad as ride it with to much oil and most of the times (in my case) I donīt know if my bike has the oil it needs.

Any thought will be appreciate.
Sorry if this does not belong to this thread. Sorry also for my English, it is not my primary language.

Alejo From Costa Rica Centro America
Alejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #38
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Emergency Fuel Tank Access

If you open your gas caps, you will see a single screw inside. This is the "anti theft" screw.
Personally.. I've removed this screw.

That way if I'm on a long ride and I lose my key, or break a key off in the fuel cap, or get a jammed fuel cap, I can remove the fuel cap with allen keys so that I can put fuel in the tank. I'm far more worried about one of these events happening than I am about having my fuel stolen.

If you do not remove this interior screw, you will not be able to remove the fuel cap with an allen key to fill it up if one of these issues arise.

Geek screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 07:26 PM
Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #39
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejo View Post
I took out 3.6 liters, I put 3 liters of new synthetic oil and did what ever the manual says and the mark is still on the min mark.. WTF I donīt understand..
You are supposed to check the oil with the bike hot.

After you drain the oil, put 3 liters in. Then start the bike and let it warm until 4 bars on the temp gauge. THEN check your oil (remove the dipstick, dry it, screw the dipstick all the way back in and then remove it and check the level).

Then put oil in until you are at the desired level.

Make sure your bike is level and on the CENTER stand.

Hope this helps
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #40
Alejo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
You are supposed to check the oil with the bike hot.

After you drain the oil, put 3 liters in. Then start the bike and let it warm until 4 bars on the temp gauge. THEN check your oil (remove the dipstick, dry it, screw the dipstick all the way back in and then remove it and check the level).

Then put oil in until you are at the desired level.

Make sure your bike is level and on the CENTER stand.

Hope this helps
Geek, thanks, it is exactly what I have done every time I check the oil but no matter how much oil I add the level is always at the "min" mark.

In my 07 990, the oil level one day was up to "max" mark and next day at the "min" level and two days before it was like an inch above the "max" mark and two days latter no oil at all at the dipstick?????????????, I have always follow the manual directions to perform this and couldīt do it right.

On my new R it is even worse, as I told you no matter how much oil I add, the level is always at the "min" mark.

I guess that is the way it is and it is going to be. ...

Alejo From Costa Rica Centro America
Alejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #41
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,176
Geek, Thank you for starting the thread! Because of it I have already ordered a sidestand relocation bracket and I haven't even taken delivery of my 990 yet. Again, much appreciated. You rock.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #42
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejo View Post
dealbut no matter how much oil I add the level is always at the "min" mark.
You do have the drain plug in the bottom of the motor right?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #43
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,416
Thanks Geek, perfect timing as I am a 950 newby.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #44
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
When putting on a kick stand relocation bracket be very very careful you don't pinch the sensor wire behind the plate eventually causing the bike to die causing a long embarrassing walk home.

Or install the bypass switch kit from KTM twins before heading out just in case..........................
2010 Ducati 1198S

DuctTape screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 06:00 PM
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #45
Scottyman
Blue & Orange

Oddometer: 61
Geek, I've been riding my 990 for five years now and feel very comfortable with the maintenance on it, but still pick up awesome pointers from you, CJ, CPModem and others...GREAT THREAD, keep it going!!!

"Ride fast and take chances!"
Scottyman is offline   Reply With Quote