16/45 is the sweet spot for me...

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #107
rnoliver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I think it is 17/42 rather than 16/42, but I can't find it in the manual to back that up. I think a popular change is to go 16/45.
rnoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #108
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Front brake lines rubbing on inside of forks

Wrap your front brake lines with electrical tape where they contact the inside of the fork, as the cables will constantly free themselves from the lower fender guides, and as a result rub on the forks. This can lead to the outer (black plastic) jacket wearing away, exposing the braided lines beneath, as well as eroding the finish on the forks !
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #109
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
My 21/18 dirt wheel set is now 17/45. I normally run dirt logging roads, and some jeep trails with the occasional double track thrown in for good measure. I know that a lot of guys that are treating their 9X0's like overgrown endure bikes are running 16/45 for the super tight or super rough stuff. I've got a 250 XC-F for that crap.
Thanks. I checked the manual and the 2012 990 comes stock as 16/42. When I take off the wheels to go to 50/50 tires, I think I will go up to a 45 on the rear.

I can see myself riding woods roads (jeep roads), logging roads and maybe some double track trail. But, I do not intend to ride this bike like an "overgrown enduro" ... I have my berg and a new KTM 350 exc-f for those days.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #110
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoliver View Post
I think it is 17/42 rather than 16/42, but I can't find it in the manual to back that up. I think a popular change is to go 16/45.
Really, Noobie?

P. 198, 2010 Adventure Manual:

Secondary drive ratio 16:42

Fetch me a sammitch....

S

Edit: OK, that was harsh. Here's a smilie....
....and I need a beer.....

Alleycatdad screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 10:28 AM
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #111
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
Really, Noobie?

Fetch me a sammitch....

S

Sammitch!

16/45 is what I run all the time now (on the suggestion of many OCers here), even with the 19/17 street wheels. Yeah, it is a bit low for the hwy, but wheelies are fun!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #112
rnoliver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
Really, Noobie?

Fetch me a sammitch....

S

Edit: OK, that was harsh. Here's a smilie....
....and I need a beer.....

Yeah, I found it after I posted, but didn't bother to go back and correct my post since someone else had posted correctly. Thanks for clearing it up! What kind of beer?
rnoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #113
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoliver View Post
Yeah, I found it after I posted, but didn't bother to go back and correct my post since someone else had posted correctly. Thanks for clearing it up! What kind of beer?

You'll do...welcome to the asylum.

S
Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #114
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,457
Exhaust:

The stock exhausts are freakin' heavy! I prefer to dump them in the trash and replace them with your choice of can's. The FMF Q4's are a good reasonably priced option.

Some people have had good results with 'de-catting' the stock pipes (cutting/smashing out the heavy catalyst inside the pipe), but not my preference.

Another option is to use Ned's Two-into-one pipe and just run a single aftermarket can.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #115
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,457
Mirrors:

If you stick to the street and easy dirt roads, OR if you never dump your bike (), the stock mirrors are fine.

Otherwise they snap off easily when you crash, sometimes taking the master cylinder mounting boss with it.

If you want to ride the 950 where it was intended, replace the mirrors. My choice is Ned's doubletake mirror. . Tuck them down when off road, up for on road.

Highway Dirt Bikes also makes a cool mirror, integrated into the HDB hand guards.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #116
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Let's not forget CJ Designs Long Folding Mirror Kit

A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #117
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Exhaust:

The stock exhausts are freakin' heavy! I prefer to dump them in the trash and replace them with your choice of can's. The FMF Q4's are a good reasonably priced option.

Some people have had good results with 'de-catting' the stock pipes (cutting/smashing out the heavy catalyst inside the pipe), but not my preference.

Another option is to use Ned's Two-into-one pipe and just run a single aftermarket can.

I have a couple things to add / question here. First, I don't understand this 2 into 1 adapter. The diameter at point C is the same as A & B. I'm not a pipe expert, but it would only seem logical that the pipe's diameter be larger at point C, otherwise it becomes restrictive. I know a lot of people have this setup and say it works for them. The exit diameter just seems small.

Second, I purchases a new FMF pipe for another bike I had and wasn't happy with several things. 1st was the fit. One of the mounting holes was about 1/2" off and I couldn't use it. The pipe was secure enough with the clamp connection and the rear mounting hole, so that wasn't a huge deal. Another issue was that the pipes exit tip was too close to the stock blinker location and burned off the bottom portion of it.

Other issues were - the pipe (on a 250cc bike) was MUCH louder than the FMF that came on my '08 450xcr-w and the finish on the pipe changed over time by fading and forming spider cracks. I had to install a smaller tip to reduce the noise to a reasonable level.

Here's a picture of the fit issue and damaged blinker. I put some aluminum tape over the burnt portion, but it didn't last long.

I documented everything and tried getting some resolution from FMF but they wouldn't do anything. By the time I realized there was an issue with the blinker, it was too late to return.

My point is, the FMF pipes are a lot of money and I think there are better pipes out there. I personally won't be purchasing any more pipes from FMF.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #118
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post

Highway Dirt Bikes also makes a cool mirror, integrated into the HDB hand guards.
+1 on the HDB guards ... not only are they stout, they keep the mirrors down low and out of the way. I was always bumping the OEM mirror stalks with my arms/shoulders in technical stuff. I also notice a bit less wind buffeting not having the tall mirrors disrupting the air, FWIW.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #119
MrLebowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
For those not familiar with dirt-bikes, the big KTM needs to have it's forks bled. There is a small phillips head screw in front of the rebound adjustment, after a day off road, put the bike on the center stand then loosen the screw until the air pressure bleeds off then put it back in. Don't over-tighten, it's soft!

If when checking your oil you are consistently getting over-full readings even though when the oil is removed it measures correct, a possible cause is a stuck crankcase breather check valve causing over pressurization of the oil tank. Remove, disassemble and clean. Or just remove. Find something coarse to replace the ball and spring that will allow air to flow but will cause oil to hang up and not make it's way to the air filter (roof/ridge vent worked for me). Edit - roof/ridge vent might not be such a good idea, after some time it seems to have "loosened" and I found a few "hairs" of plastic in my oil screen. I have since removed it and have nothing in line for the crankcase breather.

Bikes from 09' and up came geared 16/42. 08' and down 17/42. Now who owes me a sammich?

The OC is great, it was the driving force in my signing up for advrider. I never posted in forums before here. Thanks to all!

MrLebowski screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 10:52 AM
MrLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #120
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldit View Post
I hate having a ton of free play in throttle - not acceptable to me
no issue for me - just somebody being PARANOID - in my opinion

I hook it up to TuneECU for adjusting the throttle cables. Its something I do because of my past experience of blindly dicking with them. Its an injected V-twin with ECU/stepper motor controlled secondary butterflies in the throttle bodies, and a mis-adjusted cable will affect those. Its not an FCR fed thumper.

Naturally you can adjust them as you see fit, without a computer, its your bike. But afterwards you could be searching the "my bike is stalling" threads.

crashmaster screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 06:17 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote