Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #121
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLebowski View Post
For those not familiar with dirt-bikes, the big KTM needs to have it's forks bled. There is a small phillips head screw in front of the rebound adjustment, after a day off road, put the bike on the center stand then loosen the screw until the air pressure bleeds off then put it back in. Don't over-tighten, it's soft!
...or just put on fork bleeders. Pretty inexpensive.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #122
idc22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
First things to check?

Picking up a brand new 2011 KTM 990 R tomorrow, this thread is helpful so far. Does anyone have a good list of the things to check/lube/loctite with a new KTM 990 bike?

E.g. grease the steering bearings? Loctite the X,Y and Z?
idc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #123
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by idc22 View Post
Picking up a brand new 2011 KTM 990 R tomorrow, this thread is helpful so far. Does anyone have a good list of the things to check/lube/loctite with a new KTM 990 bike?

Lots of people go through their new bikes thoroughly, regrease everything, check all the bolts.

Lots of people just turn the key and ride.

I typically go for option 2...
Old 04-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #124
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Lots of people go through their new bikes thoroughly, regrease everything, check all the bolts.

+1

Quote:

As a relatively new owner (got my 2009 mid-January), I have a pretty good perspective on the whole "crash course" on all things 9X0... and from that perspective, I can recommend just doing your first oil change. (I think it's already posted in this growing thread, but watch this YouTube vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AAcpbgJ5CM ~ He walks through it in extreme detail). By the time you're done, you'll have a pretty good feel for the bike and stripping off the parts needed to get to the juicy bits.

Like everyone else has said repeatedly (cuz it's WORTH repeating), if you're planning on taking her off-road, then invest in a new skid plate and SOME flavor or side stand reinforcement/relocation.

From there, simply start at the beginning of this thread and familiarize yourself with known issues. (Geek's tips about getting some anti-seize on the header bolts and chain tensioner are excellent, as is drilling some small holes in the swing arm to allow water drainage) But, many of the things that plagued 950 owners have been addressed in the 990. There's so much history in Orange Crush and most guys are nice enough to report when new/weird things pop up. Just keep an eye on the OC from time to time. Between the OC and the HOW you're pretty well-covered.

Most of all... enjoy your new bike: she's a keeper!
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure

Narsisco Lopez screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 06:15 AM
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #125
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,815
Quote:

It really depends on if it's Winter or Summer.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #126
idc22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Protection

Thanks for feedback, Black Dog plate and relocation kit already ordered, and I pick up the bike today!
idc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #127
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:

At some point make sure the chain adjuster bolts have anti-seize on them. Beyond that, skid plate and side stand relocator as previously mentioned. You should be good to go.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #128
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
I'm one of those guys. Too much experience with Japanese dirt bikes in my past I guess.

When I stripped down the KTM, I found that things were tight and there was ample grease on the bearings already but I still re greased everything anyway.

Doing this is pretty anal, but if nothing more, its a good way to get familiar with the bike and to start assembling your field tool kit.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #129
mroddis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Great idea

As a brand new 950 owner, this sort of thread is great for answering a lot of basic questions - trying to educate myself on the bike and its quirks and general maintenance. Many thanks from a new guy.

Bump.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #130
Motrix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldit View Post
took some slack out of mine - one of the first things I did - 2011 dakar edition
what is the worst thing that can happen ? - you have to loosen it off a tad - big deal
I hate having a ton of free play in throttle - not acceptable to me
no issue for me - just somebody being PARANOID - in my opinion
+1

I also took some slack out of mine throttle cables. There was way too much slack in those cables. She runs awesome, have had no issues.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #131
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
I have a couple things to add / question here. First, I don't understand this 2 into 1 adapter. The diameter at point C is the same as A & B. I'm not a pipe expert, but it would only seem logical that the pipe's diameter be larger at point C, otherwise it becomes restrictive. I know a lot of people have this setup and say it works for them. The exit diameter just seems small.

The cylinders rarely, if ever, exhaust at the same time........
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #132
sabink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motrix View Post
+1

I also took some slack out of mine throttle cables. There was way too much slack in those cables. She runs awesome, have had no issues.
Steer left and right and at adjust so there is a little slack on the tightest position or you can tear your throttle cable.
sabink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #133
madmax990
n00b

Oddometer: 1
KTM 990 Screen Issues

Hi Inmates,

I have fitted and tried 4 different screens no my 990 and still find the buffeting and messy air a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or is this a design issue with the bike?
madmax990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #134
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob
I have a couple things to add / question here. First, I don't understand this 2 into 1 adapter. The diameter at point C is the same as A & B. I'm not a pipe expert, but it would only seem logical that the pipe's diameter be larger at point C, otherwise it becomes restrictive. I know a lot of people have this setup and say it works for them. The exit diameter just seems small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
The cylinders rarely, if ever, exhaust at the same time........

Its also important to not upset the harmonics, the exhaust gases travel in a pulse wave, the leading edge is higher pressure and the tail end is at a lower pressure that kinda of encourages the next pulse of gasses along and help draw air and fuel into the engine. An inmate here built his own titanium exhaust with larger diameter pipe and has lost considerable hp, might be fixable by making the pipe diameter smaller after the collector.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #135
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax990 View Post
Hi Inmates,

I have fitted and tried 4 different screens no my 990 and still find the buffeting and messy air a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or is this a design issue with the bike?

Haven't been around here long, have you?

If you search the O.C. for windscreen, you will find more info and solutions than you know what to do with. And every opinion for the solution will be different. Good luck.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote