Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #151
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
The bad news it, FSR 13 defeated me! D: I finally got to a place that I didn't have the ground clearance to climb... Kept getting the bike or the underside of the hack hung up straddling big rocks trying to climb that hill. Fortunately the whole rig is light enough to drag off of them by main strength and awkwardness, but I am sore all over now!

The good news is, I managed to get back out, with only minor motorcycle damage. I was worried there for a bit!

Filmed the whole trip in and then ran out of memory on the way back out. But I forgot the USB cord for my camera, so it'll have to wait until I get home!

Fun.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #152
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,081
Ah rats, more waiting!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #153
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

To ensure the continuity of this thread, a link to the ride report thread. :3

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post19279808
Old 08-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #154
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
Maybe I should take an extra battery and some cables and 6011 rod so I can emergency weld if I have to....
I might have to try that! Practice some stick welding, el cheapo style!

I'll check out your RR.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #155
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGBrian View Post
I might have to try that! Practice some stick welding, el cheapo style!
I've only done it once, and it was harrrrrrd, and the welds were too cold and even worse than my usual bird poop. :3

I hear the batteries can explode if you stick the rod and don't break it off quick enough.....

Might be easier with 3 batteries instead of two......
Old 08-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #156
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Somewhere here on ADV there's an Aussie RR where the guys repair a sidecar frame with the bike batteries, jumper cables, and a coin!
Old 08-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #157
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great Cthulhu! I must see that!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #158
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I finally got around to synching the carbs...

Still a bit of a flat spot (probably jetting, I upped the jets a couple of notches to try to compensate for my rusted out baffles and the EPA), but good lord that lil' bastid gets down the road now. O_o

Pulled up to redline in 6th without much of a problem on the flats. Granted, I had an empty hack, but that's still a far cry from the 50-55 mph I could get before unless I was going downhill...

Now to fix the hole I punched in the exhaust collector on that forest service road.... I'm thinking about hacking up some kind of left-side scrambler-style exhaust with a 2-1 and a tractor muffler...

And adjust the valves. I've never done it on this thing, because I just know the valve cover seal will come apart when I crack it open (it's already leaking pretty badly), and I keep forgetting to order a new one...
Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #159
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Somewhere here on ADV there's an Aussie RR where the guys repair a sidecar frame with the bike batteries, jumper cables, and a coin!
Here is the post of the Aussie RR:

http://advrider.com/forums//showpost...postcount=1602

Another post on here with the schematic:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=21

Still not sure where the "coin" comes in....
Old 08-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #160
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGBrian View Post
Here is the post of the Aussie RR:

http://advrider.com/forums//showpost...postcount=1602

Another post on here with the schematic:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=21

Still not sure where the "coin" comes in....
Ahh, it must have been the MacGyver quote that made me think that. It's been awhile.
Very cool. I wonder if you could use a copper coin as an electrode. No shielding, but you could probably get some melting.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #161
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Ahh, it must have been the MacGyver quote that made me think that. It's been awhile.
Very cool. I wonder if you could use a copper coin as an electrode. No shielding, but you could probably get some melting.
I see...a real copper coin in the U.S. would be a 1964 or earlier. Today's pennies are copper coated steel. Think I will check out rods next time I'm at the store.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #162
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Just love this thread... go on, the audience is reading.

Cheers,
Greg - Rat-SR500-Velorex-owner & -rider
Old 10-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #163
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Since I am going to look at a running CB900C on Sunday, that doesn't need everything rebuilt like the one I have sitting on my lawn at the moment....

... I took the big wide pullback bars off of the junk 900 and put them on the Hawk. Had to use the clutch cable off the 900 (with modifications) and reroute the brake hose and throttle cables.

End result: Much easier steering with the wider bars, even though it looks a little goofy. It's not quite as comfortable as the lower, straighter vintage standard style bars that were on it, but I think the easier steering more than makes up for it.

Also stole the mirrors off of the 900. I had some Kawasaki 500 mirrors on the Hawk, and couldn't see very well with them because they weren't wide enough. Much better with the new mirrors.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #164
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I went down the national forest road for some funtimes jumping over waterbreaks, and then got curious as to why I seemed to have so much more traction than usual.

Turns out the back tire went flat! >:O So I rode it home flat.... Tires are about due for replacing anyway!!

Let's see... I think there was 6.5k on the bike when I got it running and put those $37 Shinko 244s on it. Or maybe it was 4.5k. I don't remember... Getting the different bikes mixed up... Anyway, about to tick over 13k now. 6.5k out of a set (I rotated the tires when the first pusher was pretty much worn out; old pusher/new front now has more tread left on it than the new pusher, lol). That doesn't sound great, but I guess that is ok for a knobby that sees 80% or more pavement and pushes a sidecar. :3

I think I can get better mileage with the next set. The first pusher was run at 28 psi and lasted a little over 2000 miles as I recall. The second was run at 32 psi and has lasted a lot longer.

Haven't lost any knobs like I've seen on various fora. Nor any cracking. I think they're a pretty good tire for the $$$.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #165
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On these chilly mornings, I've been getting some backfiring through the intake on the right-hand side when the engine is cold, accompanied by a little puff of smoke (or maybe water vapor, it is white). Can't really tell exactly where it is coming from (and haven't really looked), but I am guessing that I have an itty bitty leak on the carb insulator somewhere, or a missing felt.

I'm not going to tear into it until I get the other outfit put together. Going to look at another tug tomorrow. I am pumped.

Also...

Why you should always use a catch can when you drain your puke tubes, and pour it into your used oil for disposal.

It's a much bigger spot than it looks in the picture. Maybe a foot across or so. Oops.

Leaf screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 02:39 PM