ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Canada eh?
Oddometer: 755
Carry my tires....or ship?

So I have looked into geting some tires for my trip, with intentions of changing them before hitting up the Dempster. Question is....for those who have carried your tires,was it a huge pain in the ass? Were you swearing and cursing those damn tires? My ride will be approx 5 to 6 days across Canada, camping along the way.

One, the heavier rear, should be able to fit right behind me on the pass.seat, the front, well, I havent quite figured that out yet.I don't carry lots of seperate loose bags that have to be bungied on and off ,everything is neatly packed into hard bags.

The shipping to Dawson City will be around 120/130 bucks. As I must keep my costs down, this seems like alot when I add up the tires....300, the tire change.....100......and shipping, so now I am in for around 500 just for tires.

I was kinda hoping to hook up with an inmate who is also doing the Dempster or will be in Dawson to get some help changing them myself, I dunno, just thinking out loud here.

Thoughts,ideas,opinions and comments?

theshnizzle screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 07:12 AM Reason: spelling
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
The Dick
CFDVN/BRICK
 
The Dick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Dawson City
Oddometer: 399
I don't know where you got the $120 from. I have had tires shipped here last summer from A Vicious Cycle in Toronto by Canada Post for around $30.You just wrap clear poly wrap around each tire and mail them taped together or seperate.
__________________
The Dick
Team Pterodactyl Canadian HQ
N64 03.268' W139 26.214'
The Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
willys
Beastly Adventurer
 
willys's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 2,904
Hey buddy ....can I offer a suggestion?
If you have two tires lieing around at home that you can strap onto your bike for a weekend's fun riding......just to try it out so to speak.....load them on and do a overnight camp and see what you think. That may be enough for you to decide one way or the other...? Plus I would take those tires to the post office and get them weighed and ask how much to Dawson City.....that will give you a better idea of costs. I have a venture one card or whatever it's called for the post office that I think knocks 5% off, but you are welcome to use it if you want.

I'm still carrying mine, but if it's only $30 I will be shipping them for sure! Hope you got lots of space Dick....lol The other 2 in our group will be doing the same if you accept.
__________________
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer
 
Walterxr650l's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Donald, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,182
I left on a 4000 mile trip last summer, (not to Alaska) with a new TKC 80 on the rear. in the first 500 miles it had lost half it's knob height. I panicked and bought a tire to carry along. (Didn't need it, The TKC 80 lasted the 4000 miles.) This is how I carried it.



If I had needed a front tire also, it wold have stacked on top of this one. It didn't really get in the way. I could still fill the tour tank, and get into my cooler with it there. That said if shipping is reasonable ship them. Why have more crap to lug around, and load and unload?

Walter
__________________
"How much a dunce
That has been set to roam
Excels a dunce
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Canada eh?
Oddometer: 755
I got that price from Petes Superbikes in Montreal. He has great prices on tires and they usually show up the next day. I WILL take a set to the post office and get a quote though. Did you get that price from aviscious cycle because you bought the tires there as well?

That seems really cheap,30 bucks,

Heys, Willys....thanks!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
The Dick
CFDVN/BRICK
 
The Dick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Dawson City
Oddometer: 399
Shipping by truck is way expensive. With enough lead time you only need to mail by regular ground parcel post. I don't think that mailing costs was a favour attached to buying the tires. Vicious is the least expensive I have been made aware of and they have taken care of their customers so far. American riders have used them and had the tires mailed to me and it avoids all the customs issues. I generally have a couple of used pairs of TKC80s on hand with at least another trip up the Dempster in them. I have also shipped some used tires up to Eagle Plains for emergencies and bought Stan the axle tool for the 1200GS's.
__________________
The Dick
Team Pterodactyl Canadian HQ
N64 03.268' W139 26.214'
The Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
friar mike
IronButtGruver
 
friar mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Wasilla Alaska
Oddometer: 4,909
and there will be a small new pile of take offs (TKC's tourance's and the like) coming up this D2D to hand out at Dick's for the unprepared I will have in the back of the bus room allowing of course.
__________________
We,re on a mission from God. "blues brothers"
Don't go up there someone's going to die. "Walter"
A world without string is chaos
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer
 
mikerd400's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Sacramento
Oddometer: 1,826
I carried me replacement tires when I did my trip in 2010. Carrying them was fairly easy and wasn't too much of an issue unpacking. My trip was close to 11,000 miles round trip. Having the tires was kind of nice knowing I had a spare with me if needed.
__________________
Mike
2009 BMW R1200GSA
2005 BMW R1200GS (onto motorcycle heaven)
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
TSD
Adventurer Wannabe
 
TSD's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Phila, PA
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
So I have looked into geting some tires for my trip, with intentions of changing them before hitting up the Dempster. Question is....for those who have carried your tires,was it a huge pain in the ass? Were you swearing and cursing those damn tires? My ride will be approx 5 to 6 days across Canada, camping along the way.

One, the heavier rear, should be able to fit right behind me on the pass.seat, the front, well, I havent quite figured that out yet.I don't carry lots of seperate loose bags that have to be bungied on and off ,everything is neatly packed into hard bags.

The shipping to Dawson City will be around 120/130 bucks. As I must keep my costs down, this seems like alot when I add up the tires....300, the tire change.....100......and shipping, so now I am in for around 500 just for tires.

I was kinda hoping to hook up with an inmate who is also doing the Dempster or will be in Dawson to get some help changing them myself, I dunno, just thinking out loud here.

Thoughts,ideas,opinions and comments?
Hey Shnizzle - Have pondered the same issue ad nauseam. After plowing through endless threads, advice and a few trial runs, I decided to just buy the tires in AK, mount them up and not deal with any more weight hanging off the bike while trying to make good time for the 1st 3,000-4,000 miles... However, I am a bit of a newbie to this adventure riding stuff and figured whatever decision I make, I will regret it at least part of the time.

Certainly doable, carrying on the back, and gives the flexibility of mounting them when you need them. OTOH, I figured that if I need to run a couple of hundred miles to get the tires, what the hell, that's what I am up there for. Sure don't mind giving the folks up worth a little business at the same time. Everyone I have linked-up with has been immensely helpful and tolerant of my stupid questions...

I made arrangements with Friar Mike and hope to get over to Wasilla to mount 'em up before heading to Faribanks and the Dalton...

BTW - got prices for shipping from the Phila area and it was about $60 - a little cheaper than buying in AK, but...
__________________
TSD
http://ja4ja.wordpress.com/
2009 1200 GSA
2012 Sertao
TSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Canada eh?
Oddometer: 755
Hey, TSD, Yep I hear you. I have been stuck on this one detail now for a while. The tires I will be useing for the Dempster I will use all the way home as well. My OEM'S , which suck, should be done when I get there. Thank God.

Since I am small and will be carrying significant weight already, I hesitate to bring the tires. When my bike has anything in the bags, if I park on an uneven surface or any sort of slope, I have a hard time getting it off the kickstand....I'm short!

I will be looking into varioous shipping options......
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
beamertwin
Paul
 
beamertwin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: the end of the rainbow
Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD View Post
Hey Shnizzle - Have pondered the same issue ad nauseam. After plowing through endless threads, advice and a few trial runs, I decided to just buy the tires in AK, mount them up and not deal with any more weight hanging off the bike while trying to make good time for the 1st 3,000-4,000 miles... However, I am a bit of a newbie to this adventure riding stuff and figured whatever decision I make, I will regret it at least part of the time.

Certainly doable, carrying on the back, and gives the flexibility of mounting them when you need them. OTOH, I figured that if I need to run a couple of hundred miles to get the tires, what the hell, that's what I am up there for. Sure don't mind giving the folks up worth a little business at the same time. Everyone I have linked-up with has been immensely helpful and tolerant of my stupid questions...

I made arrangements with Friar Mike and hope to get over to Wasilla to mount 'em up before heading to Faribanks and the Dalton...

BTW - got prices for shipping from the Phila area and it was about $60 - a little cheaper than buying in AK, but...
The best way to handle the issue. I have carried tires for great lengths and it is an unrewarding experience. More riders should be so intelligent.
__________________
"Fate will inevitably catch up with those who run away from it." Kai-'Jade Warrior'

Pancreatic cancer stinks
beamertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Canada eh?
Oddometer: 755
I have very few tire choices that will fit my bike...TKC DO NOT fit. Pirelli MT 60, Michelin Distenza,Pirelli Scorpian Trails...and thats pretty much it for a semi-knobbie type tire that will fit my wheels......
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Canada eh?
Oddometer: 755
Sorry, I meant Avon Distenza.....by the way I love Avons, I got 28,000 out of a set of storms on my busa....very happy with Avons....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
TSD
Adventurer Wannabe
 
TSD's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Phila, PA
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post

Since I am small and will be carrying significant weight already, I hesitate to bring the tires. When my bike has anything in the bags, if I park on an uneven surface or any sort of slope, I have a hard time getting it off the kickstand....I'm short!

I will be looking into varioous shipping options......
A couple of shops seem to stand out in the discussions I have had. Most will order the tires for you and have them there when you arrive. TKC 80s seem the norm for gravel and dirt while Heidenau Tires have been pushed by a number of folks in AK and YT. I am sticking to the tried and true TKC80s for the Dalton and Top of the World. Might even give the Canol a shot. These shops/operations seem to come highly recommended:
Friar Mike - the Abby - I made arrangements with Mike for my tires.
Adventure Cycleworks (Fairbanks) - Highly recommended, but need to be headed to Prudhoe Bay
Dawson
Downtown Hotel - Dawson CIty - Can order and mount tires for you
Avoid Whitehorse Honda - apparently overpriced, but give good service.
Alaska Leather (Anchorage) - Highly recommended (happens to be out of my way)

Also Trails End in Fairbanks has offered services - didn't get much info either way...

Price difference to ship didn't seem to be worth my while compared to the prices in AK/YT. Convenience is more the issue. Have gotten comments indicating that carrying the tires is a real PITA or not so bad. Depends on the commenter.



Hope this helps.
__________________
TSD
http://ja4ja.wordpress.com/
2009 1200 GSA
2012 Sertao
TSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
The Dick
CFDVN/BRICK
 
The Dick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Dawson City
Oddometer: 399
OMG, you kids have way too much anxiety time, maybe just get on the bike and fk off and life will be better!

There is me and Friar Mike in Dawson during critical time for those needing something in Dawson before the Dempster and Alaska and from Alaska Leather and the shops in Alaska when you go that way first, you are way better covered than I could ever be when planning a simple road trip in the lower 48 with all the sharks on a feeding frenzy for fresh meat!

Shit boys and girls, a couple of simple contacts and you have the best in the world covering your ass, relax and get on the f-in throttle! Oh, wipe the shit eating grin off of your face as often as possible, you might get caught in the midst of an orgasm.
__________________
The Dick
Team Pterodactyl Canadian HQ
N64 03.268' W139 26.214'
The Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014