Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You really have a talent for embarrassing yourself by not trying to figure out stuff before you post crap, right?

The gas tank is fully integrated in the bike, it used the OEM cover plastics.

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/ca-cycl...tard-fuel-tank

Next time, maybe do 2 minutes of web search.
Oh my ... i'm so embarrassed!

I knew I'd read something about that tank before: 2009, Motorcyclist magazine, by Brian Catterson:

"Let's talk about the last stuff first: When the fine folks at California Cycleworks (www.ca-cycleworks.com) read my report about running out of gas en route to Las Vegas, they promised to send me one of their new, larger HM69 gas tanks ($799) as soon as they were ready. It took a few months, but the wait was worth it. The rotationally molded polyethylene tank is one of the most ambitious aftermarket parts ever, amazingly doubling fuel capacity to 6.4 gallons without affecting the look or feel of the bike-though it is nearly 20 pounds heavier when full. Fuel range goes up accordingly, my personal best standing at 230.3 miles. This added volume was achieved by replacing the airbox with individual filters, repositioning various electrical components and tipping the battery on its side. The only downside is installation: Even with the detailed directions, expect to spend a full day in the garage if you're mechanically inclined or to pay a mechanic four or more hours' labor if you're not. The most economical method would be to have it installed at the same time as a major service."

His follow up report on this was that the tank split or cracked at some point, IIRC. I think the company replaced it free. Did not find that article.

In this pic with tank installed you can see it's wider than stock ... to my eye anyway. Does not appear the bike pictured earlier has the big tank installed.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #17
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

In this pic with tank installed you can see it's wider than stock ... to my eye anyway. Does not appear the bike pictured earlier has the big tank installed.
Those are the optional soft luggage tank panniers (and tank bag) that you are seeing in the photo. If you look carefully you will see the stock tank cover (left side) poking out to the rear underneath.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Oh my ... i'm so embarrassed!
And it shows again ... you haven't checked. Why would I not mark you as a complete moron right now who has no f*cking clue what he's talking about AND is impolite and too arrogant to admit it? Ah, forget about it, it's easier to just put you on the ignore list and you can be your charming self ...

Quote:
Quote from here:

"Appearance wise you’ll need to look hard to notice the difference between a HM69 equipped bike, and one running the stock tank. The tell tale sign are the two cone air-filters mounted to the intakes, replacing the discarded airbox whose space is now used for fuel storage."
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
Dr. Motardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallacy View Post
I made saddle bag mounts and added a HID conversion
To my Hypermotard 1100 last year before a 8 state 2 week
northwest US tour.
It was an excelent mount for the trip, it handled everything I
threw at it. 90+% paved roads but it handled gravel just fine.
It felt very much like my 620 Multistrada, just with more Hyper..
Sadly I have parted with it, I replaced it with a Tiger 800xc
I couldn't make myself take such a pretty bike to Alaska this June.
I dearly miss that bike, great potential.
I too owned a Hyper before I bought my 800 Tiger. The Hyper is everything I love about sport bikes. Slim, light, nimble and fast enough for any relatively sane person. I used Wolfman bags on my Hyper for overnight trips but couldn't imagine taking a long trek on that bike. For me, the main reason is comfort. I started to feel it in my butt and knees after about an hour, which made the stock tank's range just about perfect.

I tried at least 3 different custom seats. All helped a bit but none of them cured the problem. The stock ergos and seat on my 800 are far better for me. Everyone has different ergo needs. If the Hyper fits you, it's about the most fun you can find on two wheels.
Dr. Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Those are the optional soft luggage tank panniers (and tank bag) that you are seeing in the photo. If you look carefully you will see the stock tank cover (left side) poking out to the rear underneath.
Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake ... again!
But I think it's pretty obvious to anyone (including Catterson) who's ridden the bike (me) or hung out and ridden with owners ... (I have, a few times)
that the Hypermotard, even with all the Adventure Kit farkles, is not the ideal adventure touring bike. Anyone disagree with that premise besides Cug? (I guess that's why he just bought a new 800XC Tiger!)

In the end, do whatever floats your boat. It's a great motorcycle but ... as every review world wide has stated since 2008 ... it focus is a bit narrow to include Adventure touring.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #21
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
An unheard-of model?
We get the 848 Streetfighter, UK gets the 898 Street fighter monster.

We got screwed again !
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
cug
--

Quote:
But I think it's pretty obvious to anyone (including Catterson) who's ridden the bike (me) or hung out and ridden with owners ... (I have, a few times)
that the Hypermotard, even with all the Adventure Kit farkles, is not the ideal adventure touring bike. Anyone disagree with that premise besides Cug? (I guess that's why he just bought a new 800XC Tiger!)
Never let facts get in the way of a good rant, right? Man, I couldn't show better what I mean than you do yourself.

You haven't even read or remembered anything I wrote here - I never said that the Hyper is the ideal adventure bike. I only pointed out that you are writing unfounded, fact free crap.

Also I did not by a Tiger XC, I bought a Roadie.

It all comes down that your contributions might have at least some value if you researched them a little bit and have your facts right instead of just making shit up.

I personally think that this is a great setup for lightweight touring. And everybody defines adventure touring differently. It might be perfectly adequate for a lot of people. Me included. I might have considered the little Hyper a week ago if I had known about this setup.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #23
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,502
Seems to me like a reasonably priced used 360 pound Hyper, after market over 6 gallon for tank, bags and racks for the extended weekend, skid plate, properly set up suspension by Race Tech (new cartridges) properly sized spoke wheels ala Woody’s, good rubber (Metzler) and the sweet sound of a Ducati twin and you would have a proper adventure bike still weighting less and costing far less than most others. You can’t tell me that you would buy any other bike and not completely customize it to suit your needs right out the gate, bags, skid plate, exhaust maybe not suspension right away but eventually you would. Light weight, fuel injected, air cooled, powerful and you won’t be just like everyone else…..

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #24
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

I prefer to wait for Ducati to actually build the bike I know they can. Love the Hyper motor, but honestly, a single would be ideal. (anyone ever see the SuperMono run?)

Imagine:
Proper 21" front wheel, 18" rear with geometry set up for off road/adventure. Decent range, comfort and toughness to handle bit of luggage and take a beating. Make it the Anti-GS Adventure bike. Perhaps graft a bit of Husaberg DNA into it?

Minimal electronicus complicatus All this right from the factory. Think of it as a sort of KTM 990 light that handles well. Simple, Tough, Do it all bike.

Once all the rich guys crash their Multistradas trying to ride them off road and other Ducatisti realize what a dead end sport bikes are ... well? Who knows?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #25
cug
--

Quote:
Proper 21" front wheel, 18" rear with geometry set up for off road/adventure. Decent range, comfort and toughness to handle bit of luggage and take a beating.
Sounds like a WR250R with Safari sized tank and Sargent quality seat as OEM items directly installed from the factory.

Had one, it was awesome. Personally I didn't need any more power for this type of bike, did a 400 mile "home run" with busted ribs on mine in one go. Not perfect, but damn good for what it was. As soon as it gets into the 400 to 600cc range it's also in the 180 to 200kg class again ...
Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #26
wncstrada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I'm not optimistic that Ducati will come out with a small bike. Remember the 620 Multistrada? It was a great "one person" multistrada, but it did not sell well in the US. I think that the 796 is as small as Ducati will go.
wncstrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #27
OneWheelDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
We've some first person experience with the CA-Cycleworks Tanks for anyone who's curious. Installed it on a tester HM1100S a couple years back, but only had a chance to run it for a season before Ducati wanted the bike back:
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2009/11...ard-fuel-tank/
Old 03-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
wncstrada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Neil, I watched your excellent video on the tank. How adequate are the new airfilters? Could they do the job in a dirt road environment? Thanks!
wncstrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #29
Baron650
650x2

Oddometer: 120
Cug, you're being a dick.
Just thought I'd point that out, in case you were so caught up in this very important issue that you didn't realize it.
Maybe that's just how you are. I didn't bother to research it.
Baron650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #30
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
I didn't bother to research it.
Thought so. Speaks for itself.