User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Things I did to my DR650

Some interest was shown in some of the changes I made to my DR so I am posting some of my mods so that others may get ideas from what I have done. I enjoy my bikes the most when I go on multi day camping trips through the mountains and if I can get to a remote fishing spot it's even better. I set the DR up for these type trips and the two main goals were cheap and durable. I started with a low miles 97 DR that was "colorful" to say the least. Even though I'm not too concerned with looks,I couldn't deal with the frame color so I put it in the shop one day and "de-purpled" it. I tried to use materials that I had on hand when I could make it work. Maybe not always the best for the job,but it kept costs down a lot. Most everything was done low budget except for the suspension.Rick at Cogent did a complete shock rebuild and I installed fork springs and emulators from him as well,money well spent. I'll post the various mods I did as I find the pics.
It looked like this the day I bought it

It looks like this now

The freaky looking graphics on the IMS tank are an ongoing experiment. The white plastic tank stained quickly from the red mud we have so I started playing with ways to keep decals on. I wanted a crisp round hole punched in the decal,much like a wadcutter pistol bullet punches in a target. The best process I have found so far is to put a piece of 1mm stainless tubing in a sewing machine. It punches nice round,evenly spaced holes in the material and allows the gas fumes to escape,greatly reducing the bubbles that plague the decals on plastic tanks. I tried many of the free decals that come with products and most hold up well. The Eibach decal has been on the tank for about a year and has done well. The black spots on the tank now are 3M reflective tape. So far they hold up well and have had minimal bubbles but have only been on about 8 months.

MacG screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 04:48 PM
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Skidplate

I built a laminated skidplate. I have done these in the past and it works well. I used 1/8" aluminum for the main plate and put another sheet of 1/8 " aluminum on top of that,under the engine. On the bottom I put 1/16" thick stainless, it's tough but thin enough to not weigh a lot. The stainless seems to hold up very well against rocks and doesn't gouge like aluminum does. I wanted a smooth bottom so no drain plug hole was installed. A little more work at oil change but better protection.
Over a year of usage and still in good shape

MacG screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 04:50 PM
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Exhaust

I didn't have a bender for the exhaust so I took a 90 deg. elbow and a few pieces of straight tube. It took a while to get the angles cut correctly but it worked out OK. I welded a support from the tube to the OEM mounting point for more rigidity.

I wanted a 40FO muffler but they are hard to come by at a decent price. The 18G1 muffler is titanium inside but about 3 1/4" longer and about .400" larger dia. than the 40FO. I picked up an 18G1 very cheap and thought I would cut it open to see if I could make it work until I located a 40. It came out ok and is just slightly larger on the diameter. I put the splice on the front end of the muffler and it is covered by the plastic panel. I ended up with about $40 in the muffler/mid pipe combo.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
Good job

I really like the entire up grade but the can work looks to be the best home job I've seen in a while.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
I really like the entire up grade but the can work looks to be the best home job I've seen in a while.
Thanks Wolfgang !
Old 03-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dash/fairing

I wanted more room around the instruments for switches,voltmeter,etc. so I made spacers to move the top fairing bolts forward about an inch. I made the dash to fit in the allowed space.

On the right side I nounted a 12v receptacle

On the left side I have 1" strap for towing or whatever coiled and tied in place

The fairing is a cheap aftermarket item for an FZ1
Old 03-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

LEDs

I bought the electrical components for LED aux. lights and made the housings and heat sinks. I mounted them high and under the bars for protection. They work well in this location and the extra light is nice.

I used LED trailer lights from Harbor Freight for the turn signals. Very tough and if I break one it's only $5.99 to replace it.

I used LED boltlights to light the plate and make it legal. The LED strip is red and is wired to the brakelight. It flashes several times then stays on with the brake light.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 AM   #8
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,638
Wow, extra nice all the way around!

Sarah
Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,373
laminated skid pan.
great idea
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 510
Subscribed! and Thanks

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,399
Nice !

Lots of nice modifications !!

Can you teach me to Weld like that - very nice !
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,399
Dash ...

Hey Mac ....

I really like what you did with the dash ...
How is the dash mounted ?? Is it one piece aluminum (top and side) bent to fit ?

Thanks ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
I wanted more room around the instruments for switches,voltmeter,etc. so I made spacers to move the top fairing bolts forward about an inch. I made the dash to fit in the allowed space.

On the right side I nounted a 12v receptacle

]
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs View Post
Hey Mac ....

I really like what you did with the dash ...
How is the dash mounted ?? Is it one piece aluminum (top and side) bent to fit ?

Thanks ..
That dash is 3 pieces welded together(two sides,one top) ,but could be made using bolts.
Here are pics of a simple one piece I made for a buddy to try a short windscreen on his 07. The dash was simple,just two 90 deg. bends,it just wasn't as wide as the one seen on mine. Without the windscreen,the 4 bolt heads you see would be gone.On this one I was trying out the windscreen,the dash was just an easy way to mount it. The windscreen didn't do much and he sold the DR shortly after so the project didn't go any further.

For both of the dashes,I used 1/16" aluminum. It's easy to work with,light weight and strong enough for the job.
If you need more pics or explanation,you can PM me.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post

I have to agree, that is some really nice looking welds! I hadn't really thought about cutting the pipe down, but it looks like it worked out well, too. I have the DG Oval exhaust on mine now, but it's pretty loud. I've got a 35F0 and now a 40F0 to install later. I bought the 35F0 when I couldn't find a 40F0 and of course what happens next? Found the 40F0 on my local Craigslist within a couple of weeks. No problem, my good riding buddy has a DR650 with stock exhaust and he may just end up with the 35 on his!

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pannier supports

For the pannier supports I used 1/2" chromoly tubing. It's light weight and very tough. I wanted enough support for the panniers and protection for the plastics,muffler,etc. when the bike gets laid down. The loops are for attaching Wolfman expedition panniers.

I found this military surplus plastic tube at a gun show. It holds tie wraps,electrical wire,etc.