Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #136
thirsty 1
Rider

Oddometer: 17
If you want any of these parts you can have them for free. Just for the cause...... Pay shipping. These parts are off of a 97 M900, the one in the picture on page 7 of your thread here. I believe the belt tensioners would work but I really am not sure so you'll have to do the research yourself but for the price of shipping it's not a bad deal. Just PM me

rear pump, line and disc.

Rear axle, 38mm intake valves 44mm exhaust valves opening and closing rockers

cheers, Thirsty

thirsty 1 screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 08:33 PM
thirsty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #137
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirsty 1 View Post
If you want any of these parts you can have them for free. Just for the cause...... Pay shipping. These parts are off of a 97 M900, the one in the picture on page 7 of your thread here. I believe the belt tensioners would work but I really am not sure so you'll have to do the research yourself but for the price of shipping it's not a bad deal. Just PM me

cheers, Thirsty
Thanks for the offer, but after a little investigation I don't think I can make any of it work. The tensioners are pretty different looking from what I've got. I'd love the later style rockers with the clips, but from what I hear they need some modification to work in pantah engines, probably due to the vertical cylinder having the intake and exhaust on opposite sides as the later models. I really appreciate the offer though.

On other news, the tank and tail piece arrived from the UK (well, they're up in seattle, not here) and look to be just the ticket. I didn't realize they'd leave a window in the gel coat. Kinda cool.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #138
Thnks4alltheFsh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I don't have anything to add, but just wanted to say I'm loving this thread. I can't wait to see what the finished bike looks like. Someday maybe I'll have the time/money and a great starter bike to do something like this, for now I'll live vicariously. Keep up the great posts!
Thnks4alltheFsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #139
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
wonder if there are any 907's still fi'd or carbed now
I'm not sure what you're asking here... I've never seen a 907 converted to carbs FWIW, but of course that doesn't mean it never happened. It's certainly not commonly done though. I do know mine's still injected.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #140
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 507
Was looking for a BMW R80/7 thread when I stumbled upon this. Keep up the good work

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #141
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

I finally broke down and ordered a cheapo soda blaster. I'm going to throw the engine back together minus pistons and valves, make sure it's well sealed up and give it a good once over with the blaster. I'll recycle the old gaskets along with some liberally applied silicone just to be sure I don't get any soda inside. Then I'll take it apart again to finish my rebuild. I want to get the cases cleaner, but I don't want to take the whole bottom end apart to blast the pieces individually. Any helpful words of wisdom or warning before I coat myself and my yard in baking soda?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 08:39 AM
Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #142
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,945
One thing I learned doing a head and cylinder off my R80 is that even though the soda is water soluble it takes a lot, a LOT of washing to get it all off the metal. I found some white discolored spots on the Nikasil lining after I was sure I had washed it thoroughly enough and dried it.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #143
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
One thing I learned doing a head and cylinder off my R80 is that even though the soda is water soluble it takes a lot, a LOT of washing to get it all off the metal. I found some white discolored spots on the Nikasil lining after I was sure I had washed it thoroughly enough and dried it.
Hopefully I won't get any inside. I have a big collection of rubber plugs to cap off as much as possible and I'll mask what seals I can with electrical tape. I'm just hoping it'll be enough to take off most of the flaky chrome on my covers.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #144
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Thanks for the offer, but after a little investigation I don't think I can make any of it work. The tensioners are pretty different looking from what I've got. I'd love the later style rockers with the clips, but from what I hear they need some modification to work in pantah engines, probably due to the vertical cylinder having the intake and exhaust on opposite sides as the later models. I really appreciate the offer though.

On other news, the tank and tail piece arrived from the UK (well, they're up in seattle, not here) and look to be just the ticket. I didn't realize they'd leave a window in the gel coat. Kinda cool.

nice
as i said before careful with modern fuel will eat the resin

love those tanks with the fuel gauge

cheers
some type of tank liner maybe
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #145
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
nice
as i said before careful with modern fuel will eat the resin
They guaranteed it against damage from gasoline, ethanol, etc. Fiberglass tanks can be made gas proof if the right resin is used. Also, here in Mexico we don't have ethanol in our gas. That said, I still probably won't keep gas in it for more than a couple days at a time.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #146
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

OK, I have the soda blasting equation worked out. As usual, things are just a little more complicated down in mexico. The first obstacle was finding a big enough air compressor as I don't have one down here and tool rental shops just don't exist here unless you want to drive a couple of hours. I ended up renting one from a construction company I've been working with. It's powered by a 150cc honda single so that means I can drag it out to a far corner of the yard to keep my mess away from the house. The next obstacle was finding soda to use. Actual soda blasting media (armex, etc) just isn't available here and the grocery stores only sell tiny boxes of baking soda for $3 each. Not an option. First my girlfriend found a giant food wholesaler that sold baking soda by the kilo out of their 50lb sac, so she bought them out of their remaining stock of 6 kilos. Unfortunately, this stuff didn't work too well due to the high humidity here. Even with a moisture trap between the compressor and the media tank, it still just caked up and refused to feed. I then checked out a safety supply store that refills fire extinguishers. They ordered me a 22 kilo sac of sodium bicarbonate fill for dry chemical fire extinguishers which as it turns out is a much finer powder and is treated with something to resist moisture to prevent it from caking up in a fire extinguisher and some sort of flow aid which keeps it from arching. Perfect. It flows well and never clogs up. I've blasted with sand and glass bead before, but never with soda. I was pretty amazed at how effective it is for removing paint, yet it still will not mark aluminum no matter how long you hover over stubborn spots. It did a nice job removing grease, dirt and road grime from the block, but it's not agressive enough to remove oxide and get down to white metal, but then again I don't want it to be that clean as there's no way I'd ever be able to keep it that clean living across the street from the ocean. The carbs came out especially nice. Enough talk, here be the pics.

One sorta 70% done, the other as found:

The second one taking a bath:

Top triple mostly stripped, bottom triple as found. I'm starting to think that maybe I should polish the triples rather than repaint them. Hmmmm.

The engine got reassembled with temporary red silicone to keep the soda out and tossed out in the yard to get the business.

Before:

After:

Before (don't knock my red silicone glob job, it's only temporary to keep the soda out):

After:

Before:

After:

Now that the block is done, I've pulled the heads and cylinders and will blast them separately once I get the damn tool to pull the cam pullies. I tried to do the wheels, but whatever paint was used on there is way too hard and though it came off eventually, it was far too slow going. I'll need to use sand or something else a bit more aggressive to strip the wheels and the frame.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 06:33 AM
Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #147
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I'm starting to think that maybe I should polish the triples rather than repaint them. Hmmmm.
Scratch that. Too many deep pits in the castings to sand out. Thanks, Italy. Fresh coat of satin black. Done.

Fork sliders stripped, threads masked, ready for paint.

...and painted

The bottom triple is ready for paint too, but unfortunately the fork sliders used the rest of it up.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 06:13 PM
Old 05-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #148
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
AW, I love your work.

Bravissimo!
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #149
GoinPostal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Looking Great Spencer

I can see that it is a labor of love. You do good work, as I can personally attest to
Group of Fools Central America Adventure 2013
2012 Triple Black GSA
GoinPostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #150
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinPostal View Post
You do good work, as I can personally attest to
Only on other people's bikes. I just do "good enough" work on my own.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 03:05 PM