User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #91
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
http://www.emsduc.com/index.html

You might ask Mike who owns EMS. he is a good source of shims and will probably know what clearance you should run. JB

also, there is a vintage section on Ducati.MS that may be a source of information. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/14-vintage/
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #92
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,325
The disassembly continues. My makeshift workshop in a spare room has just about run out of "bench" space.

Thanks to my old school parts washing setup (oil pan, paintbrush, gasoline) I got the heads clean enough to disassemble.

The cylinders got a nice cleaning too.

Nothing but a light lapping needed for the valves. No noticable wear.

A brass brush and WD40 was all it took to loosen up the carbon on the pistons. Ready to run again. Are the wrist pins always tight on ducati pistons? I had to tap them out.

The piston from the horizontal cylinder had a healthy ding in it from some sort debris that got sucked in. Only one mark so I guess it got blown out the exhaust port after one cycle.

The opening rockers are like new. I haven't taken out the closing rockers yet, and I'm not sure I'll even bother.

Everything's getting filed in ziplocs

The cam bearings are a bit noisy, so they'll get replaced, I'll lap the valves and as soon as I get a gasket set and valve seals I'll reassemble it all. I also disassembled the fork legs today and will take them to a hydraulic shop to get rechromed and honed as the chrome is flaking off in a few spots.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 08:10 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #93
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinPostal View Post
This would be my choice.
Sorry, Bob. The decision's been made. I ordered this tank and tail piece. No fairing though.

I'll need to rework the headlight and instruments, maybe just shelf the mechanical gauges in favor of something electronic. I'd like to go with red for the tank and tail, but I can't decide whether to paint the frame and swingarm black or white. Maybe silver? Or chrome it again? Hmmm.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 01:22 PM
Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #94
killfile
49/50

Oddometer: 353
Bump because this thread is fantastic!
Can't wait to see that tank and seat in place.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #95
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I'd like to go with red for the tank and tail, but I can't decide whether to paint the frame and swingarm black or white. Maybe silver? Or chrome it again? Hmmm.
My current thinking on color is white frame and wheels, black tank and tail with white two-line ducati logo, and small tricolore stripe down the top center of the tank and tail. Coincidentally, the mexican flag is also red white and green, so it'd be doubly appropriate. I finally got my gasket set and carb rebuild kits ordered along with a new throttle and cables. I'm trying to source new bearings locally from the SKF distributor, but it appears that some of them are pretty uncommon, the steering head bearings in particular. I'll be needing steering head bearings, cam bearings, wheel bearings and timing belt tensioner bearings. I'm still on the lookout for a new stator that doesn't cost ungodly money, so if anyone knows a source please let me know. Alternatively, if anyone knows what other years and models of ducatis use the same stator that'd be great. It's a single phase, two wire (both yellow).

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 06:18 AM
Old 04-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #96
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,899
Looking at my Haynes for the 91-96 twins(600, 750, &900), it appears that they all used 2-wire stators that secured into the inside of the side cover with two screws. I have a spare 900 crankcase, but unfortunately no side covers nor alternator parts to measure.

The only difference the book lists is that 900s upgraded alternators in the early 90s. That was probably the switch from the six spline rotor to the slightly shorter 13 spline rotors. (That caught me off guard when trying to install a 92 modle crank into a 95 motor - the change was after the 93 model year.)

Knowing how Ducati sourced most of its electrics from Magnetti Morelli and a few other companies, and how Ducati stuck with many unchanged design elements on the aircooled twins, its possible that many stators form even later models may fit. Although I realize you're not in a location to shop a whole lot of parts locally.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #97
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
Looking at my Haynes for the 91-96 twins(600, 750, &900), it appears that they all used 2-wire stators that secured into the inside of the side cover with two screws. I have a spare 900 crankcase, but unfortunately no side covers nor alternator parts to measure.

The only difference the book lists is that 900s upgraded alternators in the early 90s. That was probably the switch from the six spline rotor to the slightly shorter 13 spline rotors. (That caught me off guard when trying to install a 92 modle crank into a 95 motor - the change was after the 93 model year.)

Knowing how Ducati sourced most of its electrics from Magnetti Morelli and a few other companies, and how Ducati stuck with many unchanged design elements on the aircooled twins, its possible that many stators form even later models may fit. Although I realize you're not in a location to shop a whole lot of parts locally.
Thanks Mark. So, if the only change was on the rotor, then I might be able to order any used stator out there. My rotor is still there. I'll have to pull the cover again and take some measurements.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #98
alister102
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Sounds like a good plan for the paint- I agree that if you do the frame white you need to do the wheels white as well-
But man you really need a fairing with that bike! an ss fairing looks sweet with that tank- also like the small amount of color against black.

look forward to seeing pictures!
alister102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #99
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by alister102 View Post
Sounds like a good plan for the paint- I agree that if you do the frame white you need to do the wheels white as well-
But man you really need a fairing with that bike! an ss fairing looks sweet with that tank- also like the small amount of color against black.

look forward to seeing pictures!
Yeah, I know, I wanted a fairing too, but shipping from europe for something that bulky isn't exactly cheap. I had to get the tank and tail, but the fairing is just too huge. If I can find one I like in the states for a decent price then I'll make it happen.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #100
alister102
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I can't vouch for their quality (although I've heard good things) but airtech is cheap for the ss fairing- 172.00 I think-
you would need to get a screen from gustaffson though. there is also glass from the past.

good luck
alister102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #101
mark1305

I put an Airtech retro fairing on the 92 900SS I built for track day duty. Not a bad price. Super light weight. Looked a little clunky by modern standards. But they have other options. Had to fab up custom fairing stays.
Start:

Interims:

Final form before I sold it:

Windscreen came from Gustaffson up in St Augustine, FL. Airtech referred me to them for screens to fit their fairings.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #102
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Lo and behold someone else had the same sort of idea. If you squint real hard the frame looks white. Same tank, different tail. Maybe I want the wheels to be black now.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 06:03 PM
Old 04-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #103
mark1305

Yep, that frame is less prominent compared to the later "rubber band" models like mine (refers to cam belts). The black wheels look very good.

Do stick with the Italian/Mexican tricolor stripe. I think that will be the crowning touch

Old 04-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #104
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

I lust for a 2-1 like this.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #105
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post

Isn't this an early 1980's SL500 Pantah?
If so the book for bikes a decade younger might not be a perfect match.