ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Rear: IRC VE33 , or Pirelli MT-43

Front: IRC VE35

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,393
Bridgestone M403/404 combo. Best all around tire I've found for a smaller bike with big hp. Ned turned me onto them; I never would have bought a tire that says "Motocross" on the sidewall, but they work great and last well. Not DOT.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #18
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Bridgestone M403/404 combo. Best all around tire I've found for a smaller bike with big hp. Ned turned me onto them; I never would have bought a tire that says "Motocross" on the sidewall, but they work great and last well. Not DOT.
I local AA offroad racer turned me onto that combo but I have yet to try it. The Dunlop Geomax MX51 F/R pair works well in the SW part of the state where we see a lot of sand and mixed conditions.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #19
arroyo
??????????????????

Oddometer: 442
Maxxis IT Desert front and rear on the XR650R.

I loved these on my smaller WR250F, jury is still out on the bigger 650. Very finicky with respect to tire pressure, too much and they handle like crap. With the Tubliss system I've been running ~5 PSI rear and ~8 PSI front.

Thinking about switching it up this year, may have to try Hayduke's Bridgestone combo...
Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
airjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
preference

I live out on the Western Slope where most of my riding is out the back door off-road w/ very little pavement. There seems to be an affinity to Maxxis IT or Maxxis Desert IT out here. I used them on my 525 exclusively and they always hook up wether in the Mtns or the Desert. 120/100/18 rears and 90/100/21 Front. I like the heavy sidewalls as they can handle more impact climbing up steps and rocky washes. If you do flat out, the heavier sidewalls can be ridden (slowly) w/out breaking apart the bead. When I can't find a deal on these I have had good experience w/Bridgestone M404s, and Pirelli scorpion XCMH. Currently riding the latter on my 530 xcrw. In my opinion, Intermediate rubber is the way to go in Colorado.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #21
airjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

M404 good

Quote:

Yes, I am surprised with the M404s, great rolling and hooking up points!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #22
airjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Bridgestone M59 80/100 on front. Switch between MT43 and a Mich S-12 XC 140/80 on the rear.

Would love to hear if anyone's found a front that doesn't peel off the side knobs on technical terrain. I have several brands of old front tires sitting around with 70% center tread left but no sides.
Could try the maxxis IT 90/100/21.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #23
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,407
[QUOTE=Hayduke;18141080]Bridgestone M403/404 combo. Best all around tire I've found for a smaller bike with big hp. Ned turned me onto them; I never would have bought a tire that says "Motocross" on the sidewall, but they work great and last well. Not DOT.

c.vestal and I have been using this combo for a couple of years now. Even for our Baja trip that included a good amount of pavement.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #24
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,248
DRZ400 with D606 rear in a 120 size. 18 PSI no rim locks and slimed(or Berrymans). Front is a Pirelli Pro Scorpion FIM enduro all/terrain. Also slimed, no locks, in the 90/90x21 size with 16 psi. These tires are both DOT. They are not great in mud but their real forte is mixed use and they give great wear. Avoid the 606 front. This set up will allow you to run most anywhere in the SW with pretty good results.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,861
All your guyses tires suck, the best tires are the ones I'm using. BRB, gotta run out and see what they are.

ok, it looks like a pirelli mt43 on back and maxxis dessert IT on the front.
Anywhere from 1-15lbs in the back depending on the time of the day and how slow or fast its leaking. Same for the front. Slime in both, tubliss in rear only, until it blows apart.

If you all wanna be badazz, you gotta go with this setup, or plan to struggle on everything, everywhere.

BTW, don't ever by a tire that says "Sedona" on it.
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #26
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjammer View Post
Could try the maxxis IT 90/100/21.
I'll have to give these a shot. I keep hearing good things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley View Post
c.vestal and I have been using this combo for a couple of years now. Even for our Baja trip that included a good amount of pavement.
These sound interesting. What size have you 403/404 fans been running? Looks like you can go 80-90/100 on the front and 100-110/100-90 on the rear.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #27
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
All your guyses tires suck, the best tires are the ones I'm using. BRB, gotta run out and see what they are.

ok, it looks like a pirelli mt43 on back and maxxis dessert IT on the front.
Anywhere from 1-15lbs in the back depending on the time of the day and how slow or fast its leaking. Same for the front. Slime in both, tubliss in rear only, until it blows apart.

If you all wanna be badazz, you gotta go with this setup, or plan to struggle on everything, everywhere.

BTW, don't ever by a tire that says "Sedona" on it.
Don't listen to this guy. I suspect he uses WD-40 on his chain and Penzoil in his motor.

HellSickle screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 02:44 PM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #28
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by josdavlar View Post
seems like the best combo is the Pirrelli MT21 front and the Dunlop D606 rear. I think the 606 front is okay too. sizing as needed.

Been running the MT21/D606 combo for a while now. Works great on my KTM 525. I commute to/from work (~10mi/day), and ride to the trails from my house (20-50mi). Not the "perfect" tire for street, and same goes for dirt, but as a compromise for street handling and being able to go ride off-road with it... tough to beat the durability/price/handling of that combo. Front goes for a season, i'll burn through 2 or 3 rear tires though. Rocks are hell on 'em.

In the winter i've got a set of Trakmaster II's with ice studs. The best part of that tire is the price, and the studs. Next time around I'll stud up a MT21/D606 and use that for my winter tires.

Quote:
Tried that...
Front tire was horrible... washed out from under me... that tire was on my bike for about 20 hours before it came off. A worn-out MT21 hooked up better and was more predictable than a brand new 403.
The 404 on the back hooks up awesome in dirt when its new. Once it gets some wear on it, its performance declined noticeably. On the street, especially on wet roads, it's like riding on ice. Wiped out 20 feet from the garage where the rain gutter drains on the street.... never had any issues like that with the 606. Or the trakmasters.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #29
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post

Been running the MT21/D606 combo for a while now. Works great on my KTM 525. I commute to/from work (~10mi/day), and ride to the trails from my house (20-50mi). Not the "perfect" tire for street, and same goes for dirt, but as a compromise for street handling and being able to go ride off-road with it... tough to beat the durability/price/handling of that combo. Front goes for a season, i'll burn through 2 or 3 rear tires though. Rocks are hell on 'em.

In the winter i've got a set of Trakmaster II's with ice studs. The best part of that tire is the price, and the studs. Next time around I'll stud up a MT21/D606 and use that for my winter tires.

Tried that...
Front tire was horrible... washed out from under me... that tire was on my bike for about 20 hours before it came off. A worn-out MT21 hooked up better and was more predictable than a brand new 403.
The 404 on the back hooks up awesome in dirt when its new. Once it gets some wear on it, its performance declined noticeably. On the street, especially on wet roads, it's like riding on ice. Wiped out 20 feet from the garage where the rain gutter drains on the street.... never had any issues like that with the 606. Or the trakmasters.
Yes but you are And I'm talking about dirt riding, with very little street (just connecting trials and dirt roads). I've been using this combo for a couple of years now, and it's the best I've tried. YMMV

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #30
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODirtRider View Post
Maxxis IT Desert front and rear on the XR650R.

I loved these on my smaller WR250F, jury is still out on the bigger 650. Very finicky with respect to tire pressure, too much and they handle like crap. With the Tubliss system I've been running ~5 PSI rear and ~8 PSI front.

Thinking about switching it up this year, may have to try Hayduke's Bridgestone combo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjammer View Post
I live out on the Western Slope where most of my riding is out the back door off-road w/ very little pavement. There seems to be an affinity to Maxxis IT or Maxxis Desert IT out here. I used them on my 525 exclusively and they always hook up wether in the Mtns or the Desert. 120/100/18 rears and 90/100/21 Front. I like the heavy sidewalls as they can handle more impact climbing up steps and rocky washes. If you do flat out, the heavier sidewalls can be ridden (slowly) w/out breaking apart the bead. When I can't find a deal on these I have had good experience w/Bridgestone M404s, and Pirelli scorpion XCMH. Currently riding the latter on my 530 xcrw. In my opinion, Intermediate rubber is the way to go in Colorado.

+2

I am a Maxxis desert IT proponent for the rear on my XRR. Fronts I still have find one I like.