User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Zmey78 OP
Mototourist

Oddometer: 30
Belarus, May 2012

In 2012, I had a long weekend in May (in Russian so made back to the Soviet era). I do not want to spend it on the seat in town! Decided to go to Belarus and also to show the country of my wife Tatiana. She was not there yet.
Previously on the phone with a friend in Minsk agreed to stay in his house, and he will hold a tour of the city for us.
We also wanted to see Mir and Nesvizh Castles - Republic of Belarus attractions

May 6. We naturally overslept scheduled time, we checked out. 1 weekend morning - naturally find ourselves in front of Gatchina in a traffic jam. Go through the traffic lights of the city was faster than trudging under a bright and warm morning sun on the bypass road. But on the way out of town we again came up against the traffic jam.
As a result, with varying success, and somewhere breaking road rules (slightly) we crawled to the traffic police post near Luga, and saw that it was the cause of at least a dozen miles past traffic jams - a terrible accident, burned car with a dead ... brrrrr.....

Then the road became all safer and faster. Quickly reached Pskov, photographed next to the name of the city and drove on.

Roads in Pskov and further behind it can be described in one word - F ** K. And it creates a traffic jam again. Machine guarding his suspension, slow down the speedbegin to go around the pit, and eventually built up a huge and slow "sausage" ...

As a result we have achieved all the same good road and went constantly 100kmh. Then there was accelerated - already nearing the evening, while we were still in our territory, although the plan had been drive up to the Minsk.

Near the turn of the Ostrov city we met resting rider Roman. He went to his friends in Polotsk, then as we do - to Minsk. Sharing with them the coordinates of points in Minsk, where you can spend the night we went our separate ways.

sometimes we catch up him on the road, sometimes stopping to smoke, to lose sight of

In the end, I got carried away with these games in the "catch-up" and completely forgot about the fuel. I was awakened suddenly coughed, and stopped the engine. Stopping and turning the switch to the "reserve" we went to urgently look for fueling (fuel we still had around 40-50km)
Stopped near tourist bus and asked the driver - you do not know where the gas station? He says - after 2 km turn to the Riga highway and on it will be. Hooray! Quickly jump on the bike, and now we have to turn to a gas column, fill to the brim with empty tank, and stay on the sidelines for a smoke.

We drove up to the border of Belarus. Or rather "border" is just a name, because Belarus, and Russia as part of the customs union. The boundaries as such, no: Buy the Belarussian insurance (it is necessary to drive the transport), and you go on.

And here we are on the Belarusian side. At once stop to lubricate the chain.

Tatiana meanwhile exploring local sights - they are small, but there is a striking contrast to Russia: CLEAN EVERYWHERE! No garbage, cigarette butts and bottles. All neatly cleaned, painted benches .... even toilet standing in the bushes Do not induce vomiting ...!

TThe road went much better. Despite the fact that I have to slow down as it should be in front of the villages we drove significantly faster.
Tatiana wanted to take a picture of a stork in a nest. So, we pass village and I see that on a monument dedicated to the Great Patriotic War (they are almost in every village - Belarus was in the very center the massacre) to build a nest and it sits stork ..
Stop, Tanya quickly jumps off the bike, camera in hand .... but this bastard just sat down. That's all. One top of the head sticking out ....

We go further. The horizon began dark. At first I thought that there simply are twilight, then I realized that this cloud that swept over half the sky. And when the lightning flashed in the distance the last doubts vanished. And we rode straight into the storm.
They stopped and changed clothes in raincoats. Put on shoes rubber shoe covers. Now you can go without fear of freezing and wet. And so it happened - barely passed 300 meters, the first drops of rain drummed on the helmet visor.

Quickly darkened. We slipped showers one after the other. Raincoats and overshoes were doing their job - we were warm and dry. What is most happy - our feet were warm.
Storm moved - first it flashes sparkled clearly ahead, now it has become closer and went to the left. I saw the flash illuminates the half of the sky, only the edge of the eye, but Tanya could see all this mysterious beauty.
Because of the wind noise of thunder was not heard and this feeling was some surreal.
We have already entered the M3 highway, the road has become better and wider, clearer layout (though Belarus is very little difference - the roads are generally good probably all. Well 90% sure)

Mindful of the situation with a limit of gasoline on the bike I was looking out for a gas station. See one, turn - operator tells us that "Alas, the storm all the electricity is turned off, the gas station is not working." We sit on the bike and drive on, hoping that the storm is over. No. Pours and raging as before. We passed the "dry" area where the rain just passed, then where else is watering at the track ..... no light from the cold in the lowlands was about thick fog, driving in which visibility is reduced to 5-10 meters ahead. Guided only discernible in the headlights lines marking.

Gradually, the clouds in the sky and vanished from the ragged edge of the ink night clouds crept huge round moon. Probably only a desire to quickly reach and lack of professional photographic equipment prevented me stop to take pictures of the painting: acute apex of black forest, illuminated by the light of the huge moon disc scratching low running ragged black clouds .... just perfect backdrop for a movie about vampires

Fuel was over again. Again switching valve and mentally thanking the inventor of such useful things as a reserve, we moved in Eco mode forward in the hope of an early emergence of gas stations. And it came! And it could refuel for Russian rubles (Belarusian money we have not had time to exchange).

Tucking a full tank we went. Judging by the navigator, were mere trifles - 50km. and soon entered the almost empty roads to Minsk. Navigator was right and just took us to the house of Stanislav. Burying wheel to wheel his bike, I called, and Stanislav came to meet us.

We dined with the hospitable hosts and went to sleep. The next day did Stanislav day off work (in Belarus May weekend not as in Russia), and we went to town.
In order not to burden our hosts, we went to have breakfast (as well as lunch - need to sleep less) at a cafe. Great value (at St. Petersburg's standards), and a tasty snack, we went for a walk around the city.
We started with the Victory Square

then moved on Independence Avenue in Gorky Park.

Minsk - a very clean city. Stanislav course said that he knew where there is garbage but I think, anyway - St. Petersburg, and not only there is a lot to learn ....

Saw the Iron Felix (so called in Soviet Russia the first head of the KGB), and the Tin Woodman (a character from the famous fairy tale)

Find the geographic center of Belarus

The inscription on the pedestal: Up to St. Petersburg - 907km
then reached the infamous Nemiga metro station and from there to the "Island of Tears" (Memorial dedicated to the Belarussian soldiers killed in Afghanistan). On the island, including the water was pretty cool, Tanya little cold and we went for a beer at one of the bars. To us had yet to join one transalp rider - Yohan from Moscow. It was also during these days in Minsk.

20 minutes later we were at the bar, sitting at a table and drank ale in St. Petersburg costs about half as much. Yohah soon joined us and we drank and talked late into the night.

Were leaving to go home already in a taxi. Tomorrow we go to watch the catles.

Allowed themselves to sleep in the morning - the ride was not very far. Turning to the ring road and then to the Brest after 100 miles we were already in place.

Mir town famous for its castle mainly XVI century. The castle is a pretty good museum and a very expensive HOTEL. We parked the bike and went to the castle.

Mir Castle is different from all these facilities, which I saw in the vicinity of St. Petersburg. It is more subtle and less suited for defense than the harsh north-western fortress. Having entered the courtyard and buying tickets, we started the tour.

The exposition of the museum started in the basement, then climbed higher and higher, and so on to the third floor. First presented room workers, a wine cellar, then the exhibition of arms and armor, hunting and dining halls

After seeing the main part of the castle, we went down to the first floor on a completely modern elevator

Addition to the inspection of the main building, tickets include a visit to the tower and the prison basement.
First went to the tower. It was not so easy. Stairs spiral staircase were the height of 40 centimeters and a low and narrow corridor. Move in this space in equipment and helmet in our hands was not easy.

Watch tower started from the ground floor, gradually moving to the top. Nothing much we did not see it - the same armor, antique bricks, household items, but the views of the narrow windows were really impressive.

We got out of the tower went to the prison basement. Nothing special about it of itself is not - just a stone bag of irons and stocks, which take a picture to all.

Came out of the castle, and only then realized that it felt like after the gym. Sat down on a bench to rest.
The weather was just great to go nowhere quite like. So I want to endlessly sit, relax ....)))

Having bought some souvenirs at the market next to the castle and drinking nice coffee in the nearest cafe, we moved towards the highway Minsk-Brest. In Nesvizh Castle decided not to go, because it was already 17:00 and tickets are no longer sold. That is, do not you come to the museum. Just look outside. Nesvizh decided to leave for another time.

Slowly we were driving at a great road. After about 10-15km Tanya asked to stop to take some pictures. I did it.

And then I see a PUDDLE under the bike! And a drop of emerald green ..... In the motor can be only one such liquid: antifreeze. I look narrowly - yes, on the radiator .... streaks came damn ...
But the engine is not overheating, the temperature sensor is functioning properly. Need to go to a more comfortable place, there to disassemble the bike and all carefully inspected.

Parked at the nearest gas station, totally removed all plastic tank and unscrewed the radiator. Small drips were but when I looked inside, remove the cover - coolant level was fine.

Called a few friends, consulted, they said - Go on, just do not overheat the engine.
What I did. We got to Minsk without incident, quickly had dinner and lay down to sleep - tomorrow should leave early, the road is not close.

Naturally, we overslept again , but not by much. Gathered hastily snack. I checked the antifreeze level - all in order. Just in case, took Stanislav bottle with distilled water - by topping up. Photographed, Stanislav wished us good to get there, and we started ....

On the road turned to the memorial "Khatyn" . I have long wanted to see it, but somehow did not develop.
What we have seen, to be honest, has left a deep mark in our minds ....

Places where there were burned by the Nazis at home now represent concrete boxes, made in the form of lower timber framework. As a chimney in each column is the bell tower ... on each bronze plaque with the names of those who lived in this house .... the elderly, women, children ... a lot of very young children ...... to the bell each column calling together every 30 seconds, spreading over the area of grief monotone-crying sound.... it's very hard to describe in words, it should be to see and feel ...

Impressed by taken away we moved on. Just before the border decided to refuel even cheaper ($ 1 - 1L) gasoline and turned into the village, where there was a gas station. Here, mine did the Soviet times and has not changed ....

Refuel and configuring the navigator, we quickly missed the final 10 kilometers in Belarus, and immediately realized that we had entered the Russia .... pothole on the pothole ... oh, how quickly you get used to good ....!

Because of the terrible road and traffic jams(more or less normal began only in the Leningrad region) have returned home already dark. But the driving experience is not spoiled! :))) Thank you Stas and his wife Olga for shelter tour and good company!

Zmey78 screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 01:28 AM
Zmey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Thanks for this report! Very very nice, indeed. Until I read your report I was ignorant of both the massacre (and all of the other ones) and the tragedy of 1999 at the metro station. Terrible things that must not happen again. Your TransAlp is beautiful - was it ever possible to determine where the coolant was coming from?

Please put up more ride reports, and do not worry about your English. 1-it is very readable, and 2-99% of us have no Russian at all, I'm sure, so you are already ahead of us in the language department.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
novack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
В братской Белоруссии хорошо :)

The road condition in Pskov region changed a lot since 2012. The roads described here (M20/E95 and A117) are in nice condition these days (not as good as the roads in Belarus though, but still easily rideable).
novack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
plains ranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Good RR! I spent the summer of 2001 and 2002 in Belarus as an English teacher. Neat to see photos again. Loved Minsk! Katyn is a truly humbling experience. Safe travels my friend!
Life is not a journey to the grave arriving with a pristine body. But a journey that should end in a sideways skid, body completely used up, box of chocolates in one hand, glass of Chardonnay in the other, yelling "WHAT A RIDE!"
plains ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Zmey78 OP
Mototourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Thanks for this report! Very very nice, indeed. Until I read your report I was ignorant of both the massacre (and all of the other ones) and the tragedy of 1999 at the metro station. Terrible things that must not happen again. Your TransAlp is beautiful - was it ever possible to determine where the coolant was coming from?

Please put up more ride reports, and do not worry about your English. 1-it is very readable, and 2-99% of us have no Russian at all, I'm sure, so you are already ahead of us in the language department.
Thank you for your feedback! Yes, Belarus did around the monuments dedicated to war and people relate to them very carefully. If you're interested - here's one of the Belarusian films about the events of the first days of the Great Patriotic War. I think today it is one of the best movies (it is in Russian but with English subtitles - so even better, I think)

If we talk about the problems with the radiator - everything was simple: I probably exceeded the level of heating and motor excess antifreeze squeezed out from under the covers. After that, the level was normal. It is also possible somewhere in the cooling system was a bubble of air .... my bike is old, he was already 20 years old ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by novack View Post
В братской Белоруссии хорошо :)

The road condition in Pskov region changed a lot since 2012. The roads described here (M20/E95 and A117) are in nice condition these days (not as good as the roads in Belarus though, but still easily rideable).
Здорово земляк! Рад встрече!
Indeed, these roads are now well repaired - this year I already went over a great asphalt! Just my report is a bit old - it was really true.
I travel to Belarus every year - just relax. I like it very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plains ranger View Post
Good RR! I spent the summer of 2001 and 2002 in Belarus as an English teacher. Neat to see photos again. Loved Minsk! Katyn is a truly humbling experience. Safe travels my friend!
Well, I'm glad that you associated with this are good memories. Here in the forum I found the reviews like "... they told me that there (in Belarus) all bad, totalitarianism and corruption, and I did not go there ..." - I think it's not right. Of course, this country has some internal problems, but a tourist would never see them.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
qvasic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Shit, man, it's a small world. I know Stanislav via his LiveJournal.

qvasic screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 02:37 PM
qvasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Zmey78 OP
Mototourist

It happens! :) The older I get - the more I notice it
BTW he often goes to Ukraine
Old 10-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
plains ranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Well, I'm glad that you associated with this are good memories. Here in the forum I found the reviews like "... they told me that there (in Belarus) all bad, totalitarianism and corruption, and I did not go there ..." - I think it's not right. Of course, this country has some internal problems, but a tourist would never see them.[/QUOTE]

You're exactly right here. All countries have internal problems that many will never see. I wish the political situation between the US, Belarus, and Russia was a little better so getting visas would be a little easier. I would love to go back and visit again. I found Belarussian people to be very friendly and willing to help a nave and lost American. I had trouble wrapping my brain around some of the visa/registration/insurance hurtles. I'm glad to didn't listen to the negative minded folks and experienced Belarus first hand.
Life is not a journey to the grave arriving with a pristine body. But a journey that should end in a sideways skid, body completely used up, box of chocolates in one hand, glass of Chardonnay in the other, yelling "WHAT A RIDE!"
plains ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Zmey78 OP
Mototourist

Quote:
You're exactly right here. All countries have internal problems that many will never see. I wish the political situation between the US, Belarus, and Russia was a little better so getting visas would be a little easier.
all progressing to the fact that we will be easier to visas - the truth is moving rather slowly, unfortunately. For example, in Russia to get American visa is not very easy - in some European countries is much easier.
Quote:
I would love to go back and visit again.
If you ever be able to come to Belarussia, and then come to Russia - for this visa you will not need, boundaries, as such, no.
And if you find yourself in St. Petersburg, I will be very glad to have a drink or two to heft a mug of beer
Quote:
I found Belarussian people to be very friendly and willing to help a nave and lost American. I had trouble wrapping my brain around some of the visa/registration/insurance hurtles. I'm glad to didn't listen to the negative minded folks and experienced Belarus first hand.
Well, this feature is inherent in the nature of all the Slavs in general. In the end, despite the border - we are one nation. Simply put - we have so taken. I think that the guys from Russia and neighboring republics also confirm this.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
EyeCake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Laugh

Thank you for the good report and pictures.
It reminded me of my journey to Minsk in 2011 by motorbike as part of a round Europe trip.
Everyone had warned me of the dangers of going to Europe' last dictatorship but found warm friendly people wanting to speak English, surprisingly good roads with little traffic and a very clean City and parks and only 1 bullying policeman when i tried to take a picture of the presidential Palace.
EyeCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #11
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,365
Thanks for the RR..can't get enough of this area .
Old 10-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #12
Zmey78 OP
Mototourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeCake View Post
Thank you for the good report and pictures.
It reminded me of my journey to Minsk in 2011 by motorbike as part of a round Europe trip.
Everyone had warned me of the dangers of going to Europe' last dictatorship but found warm friendly people wanting to speak English, surprisingly good roads with little traffic and a very clean City and parks and only 1 bullying policeman when i tried to take a picture of the presidential Palace.
Well, it's still remnants of the Soviet era, I think. But as a whole I soglesen with you - the country is very interesting, albeit small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Thanks for the RR..can't get enough of this area .
Over time, I think it will cease to be a big problem - and if enter through Russia, I think everyone even more simplified
Old 10-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #13
Zmey78 OP
Mototourist

I have another report about a trip to Belarus - but it's older. If you want I can show it here, too.

Zmey78 screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 05:08 AM
Old 10-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
Pickup man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Cheers, and thank you so much for showing a little bit of the country Belarus where my Grandparents came from. I would love to get a visa and visit one day.....preferably by motorbike of course. I want to read your other report of Belarus as well.
Pickup man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
Zmey78 OP
Mototourist

Continuing the thread

Hi!
I decided not to create a new thread - to continue this
Yesterday I finished editing a small film about a my trip to Belarus last summer. English subtitles are( may need enable). Recommended to watch in HD
click on the image

Zmey78 screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 12:19 PM