Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #256
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Thanks for the report Cannonshot. As an aside, we visited Marathon a few years back when a friends son was living there.
At that time, Marathon had become an "artists colony" of which he was a part. I was struck by the incongruity of a West
Texas town with a modern coffee shop and internet. Somehow envisioning a young cowboy walking in, ordering a latte and then
hooking up with someone around the world via a computer blew my mind.
This kid then told us a story about the railroad. When the train would come through in the wee hours of the morning, the engineer would
blow their horn to warn any stray vehicles of their approach. In Marathon they roll the sidewalks in at sundown, except on weekends
and some of the residents felt the horn was a bit excessive so they erected a large sign beside the railroad tracks that stated
"HONK IF YOU'RE GAY!". Well, as they say, that's when the fight started. After that, the engineer would get on the horn
5 miles out of town and continue blasting for 5 miles on the other side of town. Sometimes, somethings should just be left alone.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #257
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFC View Post
Thanks! I really enjoyed the report. I'm a big history buff, so all the detail about the history of the area made the ride all the more interesting for me. Nicely done!
Thanks much! I like the history part as well. It is interesting to be someplace and know some of the stories about what happened there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIEMAN View Post
Again a great read of another not so traveled place in this great country.
Thanks! What a great area to explore. Scenic and entertaining. I hope more people take the opportunity to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geolpilot View Post
Really enjoyed it.
Thanks! I hope it brought back some nice memories for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by probe View Post
Thanks for yer report! We are in Big Bend Np right now and we've found yer report to be insightful and informative. Big Bend Ranch was also awesome.
Thanks! I'm glad the report is helping you get a little extra out of your own trip. I'm glad it is proving to be useful for other Big Benders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
Thanks for the report Cannonshot. As an aside, we visited Marathon a few years back when a friends son was living there.
At that time, Marathon had become an "artists colony" of which he was a part. I was struck by the incongruity of a West
Texas town with a modern coffee shop and internet. Somehow envisioning a young cowboy walking in, ordering a latte and then
hooking up with someone around the world via a computer blew my mind.
This kid then told us a story about the railroad. When the train would come through in the wee hours of the morning, the engineer would
blow their horn to warn any stray vehicles of their approach. In Marathon they roll the sidewalks in at sundown, except on weekends
and some of the residents felt the horn was a bit excessive so they erected a large sign beside the railroad tracks that stated
"HONK IF YOU'RE GAY!". Well, as they say, that's when the fight started. After that, the engineer would get on the horn
5 miles out of town and continue blasting for 5 miles on the other side of town. Sometimes, somethings should just be left alone.
Marathon seemed to be an interesting place. 450 people and there didn't appear to be much going on - at least to an outsider. They must do well as one of the gateways to Big Bend. They must get a lot of rail traffic. This was once on a trade route from New Orleans to Mexico. Glad you enjoyed the report!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #258
back2thefuture
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
at BBNP this week

I guess I missed "Probe" since I was there this week,too. Did get to meet Bob Ganser in Study Butte. He mentioned meeting you.:-) THANKS FOR THE GREAT REPORT AND HISTORY? I WOWED my friends. LOL

back2thefuture screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 08:34 PM
back2thefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #259
back2thefuture
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
oh wait now I think I know who "Probe" is. A great guy.
Small world.
back2thefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #260
philipbarrett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
*ahem* - GPS files?

Then I can ride BB vicariously with you.

:-)
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #261
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefuture View Post
I guess I missed "Probe" since I was there this week,too. Did get to meet Bob Ganser in Study Butte. He mentioned meeting you.:-) THANKS FOR THE GREAT REPORT AND HISTORY? I WOWED my friends. LOL
Thanks! Glad you were able to incorporate some of the history and stories into your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbarrett View Post
*ahem* - GPS files?

Then I can ride BB vicariously with you.

:-)
Thanks for the nudge.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #262
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

GPX Now Available for Download

A GPX file is now available for download.

GPS thread is here.

Lots of waypoints and paths to enjoy - both dual sport and road rides.

Hope they prove useful! I filtered some of the tracks so they are best used at a .2 to .3 mile range.

Balmorhea Segment (42 miles)

Fort Davis, Valentine, Marfa, Alpine (164 miles)

Fort Davis to Big Bend Ranch State Park (123 miles)

BBRSP NE Loop (90 miles)

Chisa Pinto Loop (313 miles)

BBRSP Central Loops (87 miles)

117 BBRSP to Chisos Basin (116 miles)

Persimmon, Stillwell, Dagger, Old Ore, Rio Grande Village (160 miles)

Glenn Spring, Black Gap (64 miles)

River Road Loop (104 miles)

Maxwell and Maverick (110 miles)

Marathon Pena (75 miles)
Old 04-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #263
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,639
Another outstanding report. You have a knack for holding my interest as I am somewhat of a history buff as well. Oh, and on your suggestion I am throwing this out there.

According to my family tree, my Great Great Grandfather was Black Jack Ketchum. He was not a kind man according to my families folklore.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #264
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Another outstanding report. You have a knack for holding my interest as I am somewhat of a history buff as well. Oh, and on your suggestion I am throwing this out there.

According to my family tree, my Great Great Grandfather was Black Jack Ketchum. He was not a kind man according to my families folklore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
In the 1890s, Black Jack Ketchum robbed the store here in Valentine and took most of the candy. I guess that is how they figured out it was Ketchum because he was known for his love of candy.
Thanks Charlie! Glad you enjoyed the history. Thanks for sharing about Ketchum!

That is pretty interesting that you are related to Black Jack Ketchum. He certainly had a colorful life.

"On August 16, 1899, Tom Ketchum, supposedly knowing nothing of the July 11 hold-up which ended in the death of his brother Sam, single-handedly attempted to rob the same train again at the same place and in the same way that he and Sam and others had robbed it just a few weeks earlier. The train conductor, Frank Harrington, saw Tom approaching the moving train. He recognized him, grabbed a shotgun, and shot Tom in the arm, knocking him off his horse. The train continued, and the next day a posse came out and found Tom beside the tracks, badly wounded. He was transported to medical facilities at Trinidad, Colorado, and his right arm had to be amputated. He was nursed back to health and then sent to Clayton, New Mexico Territory, for trial.

At the trial, Ketchum was convicted and sentenced to death. He was the only person ever hanged in Union County, New Mexico Territory (now Union County, New Mexico). He was also the only person who suffered capital punishment for the offense of "felonious assault upon a railway train" in New Mexico Territory (which did not become a state until 1912).

Ketchum was executed by hanging in Clayton. By freak coincidence, the rope was too long, and since Ketchum had gained a significant amount of weight during his time in jail, and nobody in Clayton had any experience in conducting hangings, Ketchum was decapitated when he dropped through the trap door.

His last words were reported by the San Francisco Chronicle as: "Good-bye. Please dig my grave very deep. All right; hurry up."

A popular postcard was made showing the body. Afterwards his head was sewn back onto the body for viewing, and he was interred at the Clayton Cemetery."

Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #265
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Perhaps a "docking pilot" was required.
Did I hear my name mentioned ?
Dam, I got to catch up here ! Leaving for Fla with the bride but I'll be back to this RR! A gem as always I'm sure Bryan !!

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #266
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,639
Thanks for posting about my ancestor ( I think?). Like I said he was not a kind man.

Charlie
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #267
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,467
Reading the report now, top notch as always, Bryan!

-Mark

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #268
2eddies
2eddies

Oddometer: 105
Big Bend RR and more

Hey Cannonshot,

I've been to the Big Bend area a number of times and always enjoyed it. Your extensive ride report covers almost everything a moto visitor needs to know. The only thing you don't provide is money for gas and beer! Pretty good deal. Thanks very much for preaching the BBNP/ADV gospel! It's the right stuff...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649853
East of Eden's Fires - 8/2011 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717546
2eddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #269
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,717
Great report! Just caught up tonight. I traveled many of the same places last May. I think it was much hotter then. The attendant at the campground store showed me 108F on his thermometer. Thanks for all the interesting information to add to your pictures and fill out my own experience last year.

So many similar pictures, but I wanted to share this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post

Looks like someone is slowly working on an adobe building.

Maybe a church?
Looks like they made some progress, though I'm not exactly sure what's been fixed.

And one question; I may have missed it somewhere. What kind of camera are you using?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #270
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Thanks for posting about my ancestor ( I think?). Like I said he was not a kind man.

Charlie
It was an intersting story to read. Thanks for sharing Charlie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Reading the report now, top notch as always, Bryan!

-Mark
Thanks Mark! I hope you enjoy the storeis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2eddies View Post
Hey Cannonshot,

I've been to the Big Bend area a number of times and always enjoyed it. Your extensive ride report covers almost everything a moto visitor needs to know. The only thing you don't provide is money for gas and beer! Pretty good deal. Thanks very much for preaching the BBNP/ADV gospel! It's the right stuff...
Thanks! The gas and beer remark gave me a good chuckle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Great report! Just caught up tonight. I traveled many of the same places last May. I think it was much hotter then. The attendant at the campground store showed me 108F on his thermometer. Thanks for all the interesting information to add to your pictures and fill out my own experience last year.

And one question; I may have missed it somewhere. What kind of camera are you using?

Jamie
Glad you enjoyed it. Funny how so many of us find the same things worthy of a photograph.

I use a Nikon D60 with an 18-200 lens on it. I don't use it for much more than a point and shoot most of the time and usually don't even get off the bike to set up a shot. The lens is pretty versatile and the images have lots of pixels.