User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #166
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Looking forward to it.

I played football on and off in B'ham for several years so we probably have a lot more in common outside of you living my dream!

Good luck getting to Colombia. That plane ride sounds like a great adventure.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #167
AleXtz
Minimal2 the fulness

Oddometer: 68
i had a blast in Brasil, but cannot even imagine the greatness of the trip on a motorcycle! bless.

2+1 months living in Oaxaca's sierras and beaches:
http://motoviajero.com/foros/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2695
AleXtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #168
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb Aircraft in better days

I'm really enjoying your RR. I live in Shediac, NB, Canada but I lived for many years in Vancouver, BC. We had a small travel trailer and used to camp in Blaine and visit Bellingham frequently.

Your photos are excellent. I thought you might like to see a picture I found on line of the aircraft you saw in the middle of nowhere when it was enjoying better days. It was taken as the aircraft was at Toronto's Pearson Airport YYZ

It's cool to think that aircraft used to travel between Canada and Central America in a few short hours and now it is now enjoying retirement in a tropical climate.

I'm buying you a few tacos.

Thanks for the great Ride Report
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #169
Manneman
Polarbear

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I'm really enjoying your RR. I live in Shediac, NB, Canada but I lived for many years in Vancouver, BC. We had a small travel trailer and used to camp in Blaine and visit Bellingham frequently.

Your photos are excellent. I thought you might like to see a picture I found on line of the aircraft you saw in the middle of nowhere when it was enjoying better days. It was taken as the aircraft was at Toronto's Pearson Airport YYZ

It's cool to think that aircraft used to travel between Canada and Central America in a few short hours and now it is now enjoying retirement in a tropical climate.

I'm buying you a few tacos.

Thanks for the great Ride Report
Hey, that´s pretty cool!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #170
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 129
Plane

So how the hell did it end up on the side of the highway in Costa Rica? Thanks for the pic, thats really cool. And thanks for the taco money, now I just have to find tacos in Panama.
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #171
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
How did it get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post
So how the hell did it end up on the side of the highway in Costa Rica? Thanks for the pic, thats really cool. And thanks for the taco money, now I just have to find tacos in Panama.
That's a really good question. Yours is the second ride report I've seen just recently that showed that aircraft.

I'm a retired Air Traffic Controller and it really caught my attention. I wonder who brought it there and why.

If you can't find tacos, beer is approved.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a great report.

My son and I are headed down there on KLR's in October and are reading all the information we can find.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #172
SteveTheLocal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Thumb Thanks for the break from the Northwest Drizzle experience.

Hi Ryan: I bought you a tank of gas. I couldn't ride for free any longer. Great photos. It has been cold and wet here in the Gulf Islands of Canuckistan so don't worry about missing anything (other than your girlfriend ;-). Ride safe.
S.
SteveTheLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #173
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #174
MountainTopper
n00b

Oddometer: 9
This has the stuff of legendary tales written right into the decisions you made from the beginning. Keep a journal, take photos of everything you do and sell it to Spielberg!

Best luck and safe travels. Fear nothing!
MountainTopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #175
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
You got yourself a gas tank refill, mate! I believe that we will get what we want faster if we help others get what they want. I believe that we are all one. Your dream is too good to miss up the chance to give you a little boost. It's all about exchange of energy and for the best of all of us anyway! In the end, we all beautify each other's lives - whether we'll do it or not is a choice we make each and every day. Cheers!

Enjoy the voyage, can't wait for further updates!
Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #176
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,012
Thumb donations

...emailed ya Ryan, but nevermind it, you got it covered.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #177
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Ramblings in Panama

What a PITA! Not one sailboat will take me. The port captain in Cartagena has suddenly gotten very strict. The ferry is "Full" but if you ask them forcefully in person, at their crappy little office, they will stop BSing and tell you the truth. They are not organized yet, they wont even be leaving until early June.

I tried to organize a container but when we went to get the police inspection the guy was a dick and wouldnt let me in with just copies of my documents like everyone else. I am always polite and respectful and I put on a fresh shirt and everything (good idea when dealing with officials here). Didnt work this time, he asked to see my original title which I dont have. I have had zero problems with just my registration, actually just a copy in most situations, but it wasnt my day.

To get onto a container in Panama you have get a police inspection at 10am. Thats the only time they do it. You have to arrive at 9am to let the engine cool off so they can search for the enigne number whatever that is. Then you go to the courthouse at 1:30 and get the bill of landing. I failed at the first step so the container sailed without me, and so did the group of people that I was supposed to share the container with. Happy sailings guys.

I have been traversing the isthmus of Panama in search of information, I have exhausted all leads and I am getting very sick of this country.

It was fun for a while, and I even made a bit of money organizing groups for the sailboats. It turns out I am very good at networking and it paid off a little.

At the moment, I think I know more about the current situation between Panama and Colombia than anyone else.

Its interesting that in Panama you can see the Caribbean and the Pacific in the same day. Actually you can ride across the entire country from Panama City to Portobelo (or Colon) in an hour if you ride fast.

Atleast the views are nice, and the fish in Portobelo at Restaurant Ida is the best I have ever had. The rice is cooked with coconut milk and soy sauce, what a combo! Slightly sweet and full of flavor, perfect with a nice fish.

The first few pics are of Portobelo.

Here is a metaphorical picture of my budget, a plane to Bogota is $400 right now (the hidden taxes pop up at the last minute) the plane ride is an hour and a half. Copa wont fly bikes right now, Girag will, for $900. Damn.

On a more positive note, I bought a new voltage regulator and had BMW redo the wiring from the alternator. My F650 is running PERFECTLY now. Maybe I will sell it in Colombia and take the cash, $2000 if you want it, extras included. But not before I race around the country a but and enjoy Colombia, my main destination. Dont worry though, Im not giving up, and Im not going home. And that doesnt mean I wont get another one later. Lots of surprises ahead guys, stay tuned.

This is the port of Portobelo, where I almost got on a sailboat to go to Colombia.

After speaking with Captain Jack at Hostel Portobelo, I learned all the details about why its so difficult right now. I could still take a cargo boat from Miramar, but it could take weeks and I would hate to get stuck in Sapzurro for a week until the boat left again. Plus, I dont know if the port of Turbo is being strict too, I might have to fork over a heavy fine for taking my "cargo" on a boat without the right permits. After a couple of nights in Portobelo I raced back to Panama city on another lead.

Captain jack and crew.

View from Captain Jacks hostel yacht club.

More in a second
Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #178
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Pita

Correction, that was supposed to say, "But not before I race around the country a bit and enjoy Colombia

Heres some photos of the crew that sailed to Cartagena without me. We met in the Albrook mall parking lot and worked out the details, but, like I explained, I had bad luck at the Police station.

Matt on a Suzuki 650, Fernando on a Suzuki Marauder and two couples with cars. The couple with the VW bus is traveling the world, 2.5 years so far. They put thier 4 year old daughter in school whenever they can, she comes home after school and teaches them phrases in Hindi, or arabic or whatever language they speak in the country they are in. They spent 6 months in India alone. Fernando has over 2 years on the road as well, I love his choice of bike, totally out of the ordinary.

Panama shares a few similarities to the US except you might run into Kuna Yala in the mall, that has never happened to me in Bellingham.

Here is the super fancy police headquarters in Panama City, where all the super professional and very cheery pigs work. When the two couples with the VW bus and the Toyota landcruiser went the day before, copies of the documents were accepted without problems. They barely even looked at the cars. I think the prick that was working this day, besides having a stick up his butt, didnt like motorcyclists. Here is where I really started to lose hope of crossing by sea.

I had a sailboat lined up to take me, and our container was all ready to go the next day, I failed. Riding a motorcycle through CA has been worth the hassles up until now. I am stuck here until I find a magical solution, or until I fork over the $$$$ (yes 4 digits) to buy a plane ticket for my Beemer and myself.

The problem with trying to get things done in a third world country is that you have to make people work. There is always someone who has what you want and thats final, maybe their cool or maybe their not, and theres no other option. No one higher up who you can talk to, just someone on a power trip and you have to please them. I would much prefer to learn about and enjoy the subtle aspects of another culture, a privelage you can enjoy while taking an overland trip and one that requires you to take your time. I dont enjoy asking people to work and help me out but I have no choice, so that is the part of the culture I have been experiencing the most, namely bureaucracy. I have been racing around Panama City and the surrounding areas, to Portobelo and Puerto Lindo trying to piece together informtation. Unfortunately what I will remember most from Panama is the bureaucracy, and that delicious fish in Portobelo, but mostly bureaucracy.

Yesterday I just missed a sailboat lifting anchor. I had organized a large crew from a few hostels and the Captain owed me money. He had 19 spots left on his enourmous sailing yacht until I started organizing and passing along names. With my help he filled up quick. I raced down the coast on my bike, leaning into the wonderful curves, up and down small hills, through the coconut palms and fields, to the next place of anchor along the coast. I hopped a lancha to Isla Grande and headed them off! Actually they were just chilling for the evening and the crew was happy to see me. I got my money and cruised around the islands for a little bit because the lancha driver had some "business" to take care of as well. I never figured out what it was but it was a pleasure to get a little tour of the area around Isla Grande. Then I did what I have been doing for almost a week. I went to the nearest yacht club, I mean, foreign owned beach restaurant with cold beers, and began talking with more sailors.

At this point I end up doing all the talking. I am always trying to find info, but I think I know more than they do by now. I have gotten to know a handful of sailors though, thats kind of fun. I ask about sailing to Turbo, Colombia, or even all the way to Venezueala, no chance they tell me. They are scared of the port captains fining them, and they are scared of Venezuela in general. All the motorcyclists I talk to recommend Venezuala, saying its a little sketchy but well worth a trip. I guess we have the biggest balls of them all. Or maybe sailors, by nature are more comfortable on the high seas than they are on solid ground, I dont know.

I will try to upload some photos of Panama city, I dont really like it but I photographed it anyways. Its all business and traffic, but it does not feel alive.

-Ryan

PorLaTierra screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 12:23 PM
Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #179
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Hang in there man! Perhaps the Police officials expecting a 'gratuity' for their services?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #180
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,777
Bill of Lading, dude ! That document describes the cargo. It is a shipping document common to all goods being shipped, by any means: boat, truck, air, rail, bus, etc. They are usually multiple copies for the shipper, shippee, customs, insurance company, etc.