Oddometer: 84
Cool2

Terrific photos! I'm very jealous...
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #287
2WheelieADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Great report. Thank you!
I wonder how are the rebels groups who existed in the area not many years ago such as FARC or ELN. Are they all ceased the activity by now?
2WheelieADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #288
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 633
Boy, they really like their hand rolled cigarettes over there don't they? ;)
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #289
N9921X
Wins

Oddometer: 144
Hand rolled

Hand rolled "WHAT" ?
N9921X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #290
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Congrats on the job in Spain! Cant wait to see where this all goes next.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #291
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
woodly1069 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #292
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 129
Medellin again

I seem to spend a lot of time in random places but thats the nice part about a long trip. You never have to set a day to leave.

From Bucaramanga to Medellin I took the scenic route. I found a place on the map called Puerto Berrío and decided that I should cross the Magdalena river there. The Magdalena is the huge river that runs down the middle of Colombia to the Caribbean. I have always been fascinated by river towns, especially hot, humid ones with zero tourism. Theres nothing there yet there is.

In Puerto Berrío they had a cool thing going on with some old railroad tracks that ran through the town and across the river. They seemed to be using them for all sorts of transport, even taxi services. They had rigged up some bikes to run on the tracks and pull little trailers and platforms, pretty cool. Notice how the rear tire touches the track while the front one does not.

Heres another

From Puerto Berrío I went towards Medellin using the roads to the North, North of guatape and el peñol where I had visited previously. The landscape is great for riding. Its full of hills and rivers and small roads, lots of riding around there, and lots of small towns with hotels and whatever you need.

Quote:
Cant wait to see where this all goes next.
Me too! I rode away from bellingham March 6th, was supposed to be march 5th but it was raining that day. Im seeing lots of things and most importantly, time on the road gives me time to think. I have given Colombia a good run for its money, or mine actually. If I were to pick any city to live in Colombia, it might be Medellin, it seems to have a pretty high quality of life and while not as fascinating as huge sprawling Bogotá, its got a vibrant life to it and its easy to find something fun to do. Plus, theres a great BMW shop here, Ruta 40. They will do a "travelers check up" on your bike for about $20 US.

I found a great music festival just blocks from where I was staying. The park was packed! There were people of all ages hanging out and partying, dancing and drinking. There were cops around but they werent exactly there to check IDs or put out illegal cigarettes. That would have been quite the fight. They seemed more concerned with preventing theft and keeping people safe. Thats a refreshing thing to see, cops keeping people safe. I remember once when I was 19, just after opening a beer in a parking lot, I was spotted by a cop, put in hand cuffs and arrested. I was very polite and cooperative but they still felt the need to cuff me! For a beer! Its not a bomb for christs sake! Let the people have their beer and weed in the park, no pasa nada...

This is supposed to be a video, wont play when I preview the post but maybe it will work when I publish the post. lets see.

HTML Code:
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1171.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fr556%2FPorLaTierra%2FBikeless%2FDSCF4947.mp4">

This place sold some wierd customized ice cream treat thing,

Entrance to what looked like a huge club

PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #293
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Dictionary

Ive decided to make a map of my complete route in Colombia.

Also, a motorcyclists English-Spanish dictionary, in no particular order:

brakes - los frenos
tires - las llantas
wheel - la rueda
tube - la goma; el tubo; el pneumático
engine - el motor
2 stroke - motor de dos tiempos
4 stroke - motor de cuatro tiempos
piston - el pistón
voltage regulator - el regulador de voltaje
water pump - bomba de agua
seals - los sellos
water pump seals - los sellos de la bomba de agua
cam chain tensioner - el tensor de la cadena de leva
title - el titulo
registration - registración
drivers license - la licencia de conducir
license plate - la placa
oil - el aceite
oil level - el nivel de aceite
coolant - el refrigerante
fan - ventilador
battery - la batería
electrical system - el systema eléctrico
blinkers - los direccionales
light - la luz
speed - velocidad
"slow down" - "disminuya su velocidad"
speed bump - tope/resalto
shop - taller
mechanic - mecanico

Verbs:

to run out of gas - quedarse sin gasolina
to accelerate - accelerar
to start - encender/arrancar
to turn off - apagar
to drive - manejar/conducir

Common Questions:

¿Qué cilindraje es? - What size/how many CC's
¿Qué modelo es?/¿Qué año es? - What year is the bike?
¿Qué marca es? - What brand/make is the bike?
¿Corra? - Is it fast? (say yes)

what to say when they ask you if you are lost ¿Estás perdido/a?
"No sé para dónde voy así que no me puedo perder."

If you have any thing to add, please do. I will put them all together and start another post strictly related to Spanish vocabulary in relation to motorcycles.

My route, in two months I did nothing but circles and I loved it!

In particular, the pass between Manizales and Honda is a must see. I also loved La Mesa de Los Santos South of Bucaramnga and the area North of Medellin around Guatapé and El Peñol is fun. East of Bogotá, leaving from La Candelaria (where most travelers stay), is the town of Choachi. That is also a great ride and an easy day trip from Bogotá. If you are staying in La Candelaria you dont even have to deal with traffic, you just head up the hill.

writing to you from the middle of nowhere, a forgotton beach on the coast in La Guajira...

-Ryan
Old 07-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #294
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,555
thank you for sharing!

love the motorcycle/railroad conversions...
Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #295
2WheelieADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post
They seemed more concerned with preventing theft and keeping people safe. Thats a refreshing thing to see, cops keeping people safe. I remember once when I was 19, just after opening a beer in a parking lot, I was spotted by a cop, put in hand cuffs and arrested. I was very polite and cooperative but they still felt the need to cuff me! For a beer! Its not a bomb for christs sake! Let the people have their beer and weed in the park, no pasa nada...
You can say it again...
When I first came to USA I found out that you can't drink beer outside (off privet property), it was so strange to me... And the police presence seemed just-everywhere... Wasn't used to it. So much for the "free country" . Oh, and the drinking age at 21?? WTF, it's 18 everywhere else. You can get married, or fight enemies in the army, but can't drink beer... funny.
2WheelieADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #296
outdoorguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post
I Quit my job today, I'm tired of my life here, I think I will ride to Panama, then Colombia, then Brazil...

I do not plan to return home, I have some ideas and we will see where I end up.

Tijuana? Honduras? Colombia and Venezuela!? As P. J. O'Rourke put it "How would your mother feel if she knew
you were doing this? She'd cry. She really would. And that's how you know it's fun. Anything that makes your
mother cry is fun. Sigmund Freud wrote all about this. It's a well-known fact."

I have a motorcycle, a couple of passports, a wad of cash and I speak Spanish. I will
leave March 5th, bomb down the Pacific Coast on Highway 1/101 from Bellingham, WA, to Tijuana where I will spend a couple nights with my good buddy Joel. "You can sleep in the trailer out back dude, if it starts moving at night its because the Mexicans are stealing it!" Then I will ride to Panama and devise a way to cross the Darien Gap in the cheapest way possible.

I heard Colombia is really bad ass with a Motorcycle, I heard Venezuela has really cheap gas, and I heard Brazil
is very large (large=lots of riding). I plan to spend a lot of time in those three countires.

Starts tomorrow (March 5th) we will see what happens
Dude, you are one badass mofo. Sometimes you just gotta say what the fuck.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #297
SteveTheLocal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Thanks for the translation

but even after riding in Spanish speaking countries there are still traffic signs that I don't understand. Can you give me the most common ones?
Thanks from the linguistically challenged.
SteveTheLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #298
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 633
Bump for Ryan. Just caught up on your blog. Did the bike sell, or is it on consignment somewhere in South America? I didn't get that info out of the blog...
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #299
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Sold

Sold it, a guy from British Colombia bought it and plans to pick it up mid-August to ride South. I had Mike, from Motolombia help me write up a permission paper so the new owner can ride my bike(still in my name) out of Colombia. We had it notarized and it looks official. As soon as he reaches Ecuador he will tear up my papers and use his new title to check the bike in to Ecuador in his name. Leaving Colombia you dont even have to check out, just ride over the border into Ecuador. That is the positive side of being unorganized at the borders.

The F650 was a great bike and I would own another, possibly a GS simply because it has fuel injection and therefore better mileage. I wonder what touring on a smaller, more subtle bike would be like though.

I am currently in Italy working on a vineyard while I wait for my teaching job to start in September. Just spent a few weeks with the girl in Spain, she came over from France where she was living with family, and I will see her again when I return to Spain and we start looking for an apartmet and scheming on some other ways to make money. Online tutoring, translating etc. I am full of ideas as usual.

Lots of F650s on the roads, lots. Mostly GSs but a few classics as well. I could see my self on a 650 gs if I can afford it, otherwise a little Honda or whatever will do the trick for now. These roads call out for sport bikes, ducatis, aprilia whatever but man that would be expensive and I would ride way to fast and burn sooo much gas but it looks so fun. Gas is only about $7 a gallon in Spain, it was about 6 in Colombia. 1 Euro is about 1.2-1.3 dollars right now and gas in Spain is about 1.4-1.5 Euros per liter.(1 Gallon=3.72L)

I am very happy with my trip, I was ready for a change actually, I get a little bored riding around aimlessly by myself for months. I did however have more fun on a motorcycle than I have ever had in my life.

I am going through withdrawals but I am hanging in there. My girlfriend got mad at me a few times for turning my head to check out bikes that drove by. I cant help it, they are pretty...

Ciao,
Ryan
Old 08-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #300
SLACKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Ryanair............

Disfruta de tus dias en Espana!.............................Enjoy Spain my man!............................Careful though.............living there can be habit forming!...............
I just sent you a ryannair ticket to Italy...............but feel free to enjoy some tapas in madrid with it!.................I grew up in Spain, and am now planning on moving back.................I already have a bike there...............fistr things first!.....................
Jim
SLACKER is offline   Reply With Quote