Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
firecrotch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Yeah you guys confirmed it. I mean the mere fact you cant find them used tells me all i needed to know.
firecrotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
I am hard on mine but maintain it properly. It has not failed me yet. I too read the negative accounts and for a while felt maybe I was just lucky until I realized what others have stated above. We often forget to hail the great things about our bikes on the internet.

One cool perspective...My coworker has been riding for decades. Everything but BMW's and decided he wanted to try one. He found a "good deal" on a used F650CS hundreds of miles from home. Brought cash and rode home. Engine failed to destruction during that ride. Bike sat at an indy shop all winter while he and the shop owner searched for a replacement engine. Finally located one, had it installed, and hit the road again. I was sure he would sell it immediately and head for the safe world of Nippon. He is having a ball and keeps talking about the fantastic heated grips, the best suspension he has experienced, great handling, etc.

Somehow we gained another brother.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecrotch View Post
I am contemplating an new f800gs this fall. You cant hardley find them used. That alone tells me everything. Yet I stumble across "bmw's are pos's" type threads all the time. Listing this and that and engine surging or forks failing blah blah.

My theory is that there are people that beat the chit out ythem, brake them then bitch. Am I right?
The internet is a great place to "bash". No personal involvement, no consequences. Let your vehemence flow because your audience is as anonymous as you are. I can't look you in the eye after I've ridden 1200 miles in one day, through a hail storm, on my way back from Alaska and cause you to reconsider your carefully edited (or not so carefully edited) text about my defective machine. We lose perspective and personal responsibility here if we are not careful.

Ribbing is good prose. Bashing is self-gratifying cowardice. Venting is good for the soul. There are reasons for negativity but there is usually more to the story than we see posted. Be polite and consider "their" motivations...besides, some folks are just "half-empty" kind of people.

Love my F8GS. Ride, repair, repeat. Like Lost Rider said, it's mechanical.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 628
Some good points made here. Dieselboy has the subtext. Some people need consequence staring them in the face to be decent.

Haters gonna hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
I love my bike. i beat the shit out of it. i went jumping this weekend, not to much air but my buddy got about 3ft.
I don't know about three feet- ! http://youtu.be/sC0jwcIZX24 Prob looked a lot higher lying next to the bike!!
Buster714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
motogaz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
No matter what bike your drooling over, you will find a lot of negative posts online for it. Don't sweat it, just get it and your only regret will be waiting.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #21
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
My theory is that there are people that beat the chit out ythem, brake them then bitch. Am I right?
No, you are wrong. Very few people ride their bikes hard, and even fewer actually beat the shit out of them. And very few bikes actually "break".

Regarding complaints from within the BMW community, as others have mentioned you're always going to get more negative discussion than positive discussion. In my estimation from many years on various car and motorcycle forums on the internets, BMWs (and specifically the 800GS) don't have any more or less negative discussion than any other vehicle. They have problems and issues--often unique--that are all well documented, but in the end they're known quantities that aren't show stoppers.

I often use the 'airport baggage claim' analogy for things, and this is a perfect situation: Nobody goes up to the desk at baggage claim and tells the person there "Hey man, got my bag, everything looks great, thanks for the great job!". They only go there to complain about lost or damaged shit. The internets aren't quite so black and white, but that's why it can seem like there's a ton of things wrong with the 800.

Regarding complaints from outside the BMW community, honestly I think a lot of it has to do with BMW owners more than BMW bikes. For sure the majority of BMW owners are normal people, but as with many groups, the outspoken minority perpetuates the typical stereotypes, providing many buttons and large targets for those wanting to poke and jab. For instance, BMW owners are often thought of as pompous and arrogant simply because of the price tag on their bike...and as evident even right in this thread, some BMW owners can't help but bring up the fact that their bike costs more than someone else's bike. There also [unfortunately] seems to be a larger percentage of outspoken owners in the BMW community who don't realize how unknowledgeable they are, which makes the silent majority seem like a bunch of arrogant douches that don't know what they're talking about...again providing an easy target.

I think its very similar to the way Harleys are viewed negatively by many non-HD motorcyclists, in large part due to the stereotypical Harley image.

Quote:
...the mere fact you cant find them used tells me all i needed to know.
That's because I haven't posted mine for sale yet.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #22
cabes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
Regarding complaints from outside the BMW community, honestly I think a lot of it has to do with BMW owners more than BMW bikes. For sure the majority of BMW owners are normal people, but as with many groups, the outspoken minority perpetuates the typical stereotypes, providing many buttons and large targets for those wanting to poke and jab. For instance, BMW owners are often thought of as pompous and arrogant simply because of the price tag on their bike...and as evident even right in this thread, some BMW owners can't help but bring up the fact that their bike costs more than someone else's bike. There also [unfortunately] seems to be a larger percentage of outspoken owners in the BMW community who don't realize how unknowledgeable they are, which makes the silent majority seem like a bunch of arrogant douches that don't know what they're talking about...again providing an easy target.

I think its very similar to the way Harleys are viewed negatively by many non-HD motorcyclists, in large part due to the stereotypical Harley image.

I have a Harley...and a F800....and an old Honda GB250...and an old Ducati Pantah 600SL...and a Suzuki SV650.....and a Yamaha Quad......

But I only love the Harley and the F800 , couldnt get much more different, but they are what they are and I love them for that-

the rest I could sell tommorrow...like the KLR650 I used to have
cabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #23
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Hmmmm...glass half empty hey?

So what is exactly wrong with buying the most expensive bike in this market segment, and then expecting that the things you guys were bitching about in 2009 have been addressed in 2012?

Luckily for me I bought a 2009 model.

If I'd have bought a 2012 model and found that it had all the same shit wrong with it I'd really have been "glass half empty" all over the place.

Are they insurmountable problems? Well, for the most part, no.

Is the bike all it's made out to be? It depends on your perspective and what you actually want to use it for. If you think you're going to buy one and do all the things you see in the advertisements....or start playing Dakar....get to know your local BMW parts guy.

Will it keep Joe Average happy. Yes. Will it be most things to most people? Yes.

Understand what bike it is, what you want to achieve with it, and make sure the 2 are compatible and it should be a harmonious ride.

I love my BMW, but there are times where I think it's nothing more than a DR650 designed by a committee on a budget. Over thought and under engineered. Then there's times where I wouldn't want anything else and I think it's brilliant.

Talk to the old timers...it's a BMW thing. You just love to hate them, but you keep on buying them.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #24
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
BMW quality is a myth they like to trade on. The F800 and F650 have had numerous recalls from brake disc bolts to air cleaners to wheel bearings to fuel tank senders to chains to batteries to steering head bearings to cracked gas tanks to who knows what else. They denied there was a stalling issue and have never fully resolved that. The F bikes are a good design, but suffer from poor quality materials and in some cases build quality and finish quality. If you got a good one and have a good dealer, you likely won't find a better bike. If you have a bad one and a bad dealer, you likely will sell it and never go back. It all comes down to a certain amount of luck which should never have to enter into the equation of motorcycle purchases...in a perfect world.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #25
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
... I think its very similar to the way Harleys are viewed negatively by many non-HD motorcyclists, in large part due to the stereotypical Harley image. ...
You kidding? The worst mud-slinging comes from within the "Harley Community." There's a jerk on one site who bitches about the color of other peoples' bikes! He also never rides more than about 120 miles/day, and he always rides the same roads, and . . . . .
Old 03-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #26
leadingedge
Trailing along...

Oddometer: 33
You WILL love a F800GS, end of story.

What some guys don't seem to realise, is that NOTHING is indestructable, and anything mechanical always has some issues.

The minor issues on the BMW bikes are nothing, compared to others...

Buy one, you'll love it.

leadingedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #27
flubbyhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I love my '10 F800GS and wouldn't have anything else for an adventure bike.

People only get on here to bitch or whine about something that happened to their bike, why the dealer won't cover it or why it's busted. Some of the posts and threads that get started on here like chain tightness, oil choices, tire pressure blah blah blah you wonder if some of these people should even be on the road. If you don't know basics of how to take care of something then yes, it's gonna break and give you problems.

Maintain your bike and take care of it and it will take care of you. Yes, shit does break and you might have to wait on parts but I've never owned something where I could ride the piss out of it, put it away and expect it to run perfectly every time.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #28
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flubbyhog View Post
I love my '10 F800GS and wouldn't have anything else for an adventure bike.

People only get on here to bitch or whine about something that happened to their bike, why the dealer won't cover it or why it's busted. Some of the posts and threads that get started on here like chain tightness, oil choices, tire pressure blah blah blah you wonder if some of these people should even be on the road. If you don't know basics of how to take care of something then yes, it's gonna break and give you problems.

Maintain your bike and take care of it and it will take care of you. Yes, shit does break and you might have to wait on parts but I've never owned something where I could ride the piss out of it, put it away and expect it to run perfectly every time.
Buy a DR650 then.

Once you fix all the standard issues.......oh........that's right......well.......at least you'll have enough left over from your BMW budget to buy a spare DR.

Bitching and whining?

Is that what you call the expectation that the most expensive bike in the market segment will actually do the things the cheapest bike in the segment does without breaking itself?

Interesting.

Anything mechanical needs maintenance. That's a completely separate issue to "known faults". Especially known faults that exist across consecutive model runs. Not a lot of successful manufacturers hide from known faults that long. Although it seems that some of the European manufacturers consider these known faults give their product some sort of "character". Knowing about the faults can stop them becoming break downs, even prevent them being a problem at all, so I welcome the whining and bitching. Especially when researching a bike. You have to read some posts with a few grains of salt.

At the end of the day, the F800GS is a low spec market entry level bike for the "exclusive" Adventure Bike end of town. It's bound to be lacking any of the goodies that go into the top end bikes. That's why it's chain drive, that's why it has standard USD forks...Rotax engine...Czech bearings and chain....etc.

That's no excuse for piss poor standards and routine mechanical failures.

yes, I can be negative about my bike, but then it did shit itself the same week my old car dropped a cylinder, the kitchen install guys fucked up my $24K kitchen, I was looking after my 18month old Grandaughter who had a spew bug that lasted all week, the broken metal in my failed shoulder reconstruction was giving me grief, and the dealer fucked up the delivery of my new replacement car. Being told my BMW parts would be at least 4 weeks away when I'd just taken 6 weeks leave to spend riding really topped off a bad week.

But I do try to remain objective. It just isn't easy some days. Timing is everything.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #29
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Hmmmm...glass half empty hey?
So what is exactly wrong with buying the most expensive bike in this market segment, and then expecting that the things you guys were bitching about in 2009 have been addressed in 2012?
Not sure but maybe you´re getting Price and Quality mixed up.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #30
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

See?

That's exactly it.

Price should denote quality. It should reflect it at least.

Otherwise price just accounts for poser status.

Is that what I really bought?

Poser status?

Are you implying BMW riders are all posers?

You...you....hater you.