User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,533
Texas or Bust!

Nothing cures the winter blues any better than exploring the hill country of central Texas. Hear me now and believe me later: "get down there before they start charging admission!"

But if you can't, then I guess you can ride your recliner along with me. Strap those boots on, buckle your helmet, and fill your popcorn. Its time for another chapter of Highfive's Excellent Adventures!

Is it even a worthy destination? Anywhere to go? Any place worth seeing? I know....I know....all you ever hear about is Big Bend, and BBRSP. Well, let me tell ya: been there and done that. Come to think, I'd do that again...and again. But, this real Okie from Muskogee is discovering there's a little more to Texas than what's down on the border. Truth be told, its the largest state in the good 'ol USA.

At least thru Texan eyes. Its rumored some Yankees drawed the maps of Alaska to look bigger than the Republic of Texas.....just because. Besides, the previous owner of Alaska didn't even want it, and so practically gave it away. Texas dirt, now that's something different. It was bought with blood! So, there must be something else worthwhile hiding down there. Let's go find out.

Warning: lots of revealing photos directly ahead. Viewing can deprive you of valuable time wasted at work.

And so the day came when HF, having grown tired of hunkering in the bunker, deciding to brave the freezing temps and fierce headwinds, sucked up, bucked up, and dialed up the thermostat on his heated gear, while racing time itself on a 180 degree heading...

Crossing the mighty Red River

Aaaah.....the Republic of Texas but a short distance ahead.

Let's not discuss Oklahoma, and say we did. Freezing cold, horrible crosswinds, a hard ride. Things are bound to be better in Texas!

Sure enough...check this out:

I kid you not, it was 38 degrees only 50 miles behind me. God Bless Texas!

You know you're really south of the border when you see names like this.

First sign I came to, I guarantee.

I'm really just "winging it". No plan. No route. No schedule. And, No traffic!

Hhhhmmmmm......this is making me hungry. A plan is forming sooner than I thought.

Hip - Hip - Hooray ! ! ! Blue skies ahead.

Wow....these things are BIG up close.

I had to stop and ponder this scene awhile. It stirred strong emotions within me:

I'm a degreed Petroleum Engineer by training. Grew up in the oil patch. Spent many years in field. Moved on to other things since.

I have mixed feelings about it. If this trend continues, what's going to fuel my motorcycle? They don't make extension cords long enough for me.

Just one pump-jack here, no others. The little guy seemed lonely and tired. A fading piece of history...

Or, a sleeping giant?

Don't believe anyone who tells you "we are running out". There's plenty hiding down there.

The best Energy Policy I ever heard vocalized was "Drill Baby Drill". Nuff said.

My stomach interrupts my deep thoughts. Those bratwaurst bid me "come". Time for a break. Its been a long 350 miles and my day is but half done.

Romer's restaurant in Muenster, TX. Mmmmgood.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,484
I've always had a good laugh at "Cut Alaska in half and TX is still the third largest state"

It's a nice place to hang out during a mild winter at least. Thanks for bringing us along for some of what TX has to offer the winter traveler besides BB.

BTW Hugo's got it down with the drilling bit if for nothing else in Venezuela. Gas is $0.07 a gallon, my first topping of the tanks of ~7 gallon was just given to me, I almost couldn't stop laughing
Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Good to hear from you, Throttlemeister! Your living large down there, for sure. Go man go! For all of us....just keep going. Incredible man, simply incredible.

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 05:49 AM
Old 03-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

On the road again...

I haven't seen blue skies like this in months. Temps are up to 65 deg F. Promising....very promising...

No traffic since crossing the border. None. Nada. I think I found the Lonely Planet. But someone's around, cause they're mighty proud of their gates!

Little did I know just "how proud".

I'm loving it out here all alone. My F800GS is digging it too.

Roads worthy of admiration, simply by name.

I love riding solo. Its a real free feeling. No discussions. No debate. No voting. Just RIDE wherever, however, whenever. Nothing better! I enjoy riding with friends, but am never disappointed to ride alone. Fabulous therapy.

Finally getting somewhere. The Hill Country is within striking distance now. I'm starting to crave some fresh red dirt.

I simply love this F800GS. First Beemer I've ever owned. Pure joy on the open road, yet equally at home in the dirt. Amazingly easy to cover massive amounts of terra-firma in short spans of time. Where I used to simply "endure" the long hauls on my other bikes, I always seem to look forward to it now. That's a nice upgrade.

I know its still winter, but forget the trailer. I don't need no stinking trailer!

I'll ride my F800.....thank you. She's mobile, agile, & hostile.

HF
Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,061
Looks like a great ride to clear out the winter blues!! Thanks for sharing the ride and pics. I just put my bike back on the road today... the two wheeled therapist is back to work
Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Hill Country

Hello HighFive,

Thanks for posting! Looks like it is going to be another fun report.

I'm "all in".

Ride safe amigo.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
God Bless Texas. Glad even an Okie can see the beauty of this awesome place we call home. It's like a whole another Country. And it was once. We still believe it around here. And Alaska was once Russian. Enough said.

I also enjoy your great state. Come back anytime. In a couple of weeks the wildflowers will be out, Big time this year.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,368
No wonder it was so windy, looks like they left all those big fans on again!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Looks like a great ride to clear out the winter blues!! Thanks for sharing the ride and pics. I just put my bike back on the road today... the two wheeled therapist is back to work
Glad to hear it, GB. What's it gonna be this year.....the F800 or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Hello HighFive,

Thanks for posting! Looks like it is going to be another fun report.
I'm "all in".
Ride safe amigo.
Thanks RD....will do. Maybe these warm pics will help melt your snow & get the riding started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
God Bless Texas. Glad even an Okie can see the beauty of this awesome place we call home. It's like a whole another Country. Enough said.
AMEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
No wonder it was so windy, looks like they left all those big fans on again!
Hadn't thought about it like that.

HF
Old 03-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,056
Oh, how I love a good ride
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 604
I'm looking forward to this- it's pretty hard to beat the Texas Hill country in the spring. Hope you went to the museum.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Hey Krabill, too bad you couldn't make it. Duty called, eh? It would have been a good baptism for your Super Tenere. We would of done it up proper. You'll see...

Nope Dickosaurus, no museum tours this trip. My goal was to stay off the grid, as much as possible. Just ride and camp, away from the crowds. Did I miss something worthwhile?

HF
Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,005
Quote:
Originally posted by HIghFive:

No traffic since crossing the border. None. Nada. I think I found the Lonely Planet.
Nada, Texas is located at the extreme southern tip of Colorado County. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nada,_Texas

From Austin: http://g.co/maps/pf4bs

Enjoying your thread... the weather here for the past week has made for perfect riding.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

I rode a lot the first couple days....here & there, and everywhere. Needed to ying & yang, and hee & yaw, or whatever you call it. Didn't take many photos during this time. But when I did, they often looked like this:

I just started parking smack dab in the middle of the road. Stopped bothering with pulling off to the side. I don't recall feeling so alone, this strongly before, within obvious boundaries of civilization. Numerous possibilities began sifting thru my mind: a) I missed the rapture b) aliens have vaporized all the people c) Mexico is marching on the Alamo again. I just can't be the only person out here enjoying the weather. I start wondering "where are they", but easily decide "who cares"!

Time to stir up some dust. Hit the County Roads and dig for gold.

Five miles deep, one way: locked gate. Bummer!

Probe another direction......same result.

Hhhhmmmm......this could get frustrating. So, I head to a big green patch on my gps and find this enticing prospect. A humungous mass of acreage criss-crossed with dirt roads.

But no ridee here. Another sign says, Park & Walk. How you gonna see a Million acres on foot?

Time for my GoTo move. Gotta sort this out....and in a big way!

Tweren't no accident I happened to be near Llano, TX on this day. If I'm guilty of any planning on this trip....any at all, it would be this strategic point dead-center in the hill country. I've been here once before. On my long-way down to Big Bend, a long long time ago. Ok, maybe not so very long. None of that matters. Just tell this man what you want cut off and plopped down on your tray, then take it inside to serve yourself some mighty fine beans, peppers, and bread (all you want).

Today, I had some goat, pork ribs, & smoked sirloin steak. Its all good. But, I later learned (from an old pro) that the BRISKET is the real prize. Best darn brisket I've ever eatin in my whole life. Heck, in anybody's life. Unbeeeeeeeeelievably good brisket. I puzzled how they do this so. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. We might need to revisit this discussion later. Just a hunch....

Time to get back out on the Central Texas Turnpike!

Surprisingly, there's just no traffic in site.

This could be a problem.

I'd of plowed right thru with a wingman along. And, I would have been a fool to do it. The road was actually closed in this section, due to this flooded crossing. I went around the barriers, of course. I'm Mobile, Agile, & Hostile remember. Except there was a flash flood a few days back. Over 4 inches of rain in just a few hours. The local paper said "a Texas toad strangler produced a real gully washer". I think they meant heavy rains washed out the roads. But I never did see any dead toads.

I removed my boots and riding pants to wade out there to investigate. Sunk past my calves in the fresh sandy wash. And, it hung on to me like quick-sand...it had some real fight left in it.

That last part on the other side there was maybe 4 feet deep, with some big boulders, and fast running water. No way I'm getting across this stretch today. Sure glad I walked it out. Good thing I was riding solo, eh?

Oh well, another back track to somewhere else that didn't really matter.

But what's this I see?

I'm no longer alone out here

Suddenly....I'm uncertain if I'm willing to share.

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 09:23 PM
Old 03-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Grub

Hey HighFive,

Think I gained 5 lbs just looking at all the food pictures in your last installment.

Burp!

Nice Job HF! Enjoying it!