ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #136
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,101
Hereís a recap of my first D100 weekend. I didnít stay for the race, and didnít take any pictures, but it was a great experience.

The Good Stuff

- Meeting a bunch of super people.

- Winning the drawing to see who got to sleep solo on one of the two queen beds us three dudes had to share at the Best Western. Sorry guys.

- Having the rain stop before we suited up for the Iron Man/Dual Sport combo we planned to ride.

- Not trying to do two laps of the Iron Man, and following one IM lap with the Dual Sport course.

- Knowing three out of the five check point people I stopped at for a card drawing. Small world.

- Watching MasterChief on the Iron Man on his 610. He was the only guy I saw with saddlebags, and he made it look easy.

- Dancing the 390 up the gnarliest rock garden on the ride, while threading the needle between two downed riders and their helpers. Disclaimer: the climb was off-course and I had to reverse it five minutes later. It was still fun.

- Riding most of the dual sport single track with nobody else around. Some of the best trail riding I have ever done. Very high grins per mile.

The "Adventure" Stuff

- Doing the laugh-in fall 30 feet from Andy and Ron, who were waiting for all sorts of other carnage to disperse in one of the rocky sections. Dang short legs. This had a positive side too, since I had help righting the bike, which was nearly upside down, and neither Ron nor Andy got a picture.

- Abandoning Ron to the sweep riders on the Dual Sport due to a fouled plug. He missed the best riding, in my opinion. SJMC does a stellar job of helping folks, otherwise either Andy or I would have had a cold run back to get the spare plugs tucked neatly in Ronís fanny pack, stored in the warm and dry truck. Their help justified the price of admission all by itself.

- Having the rain start on the Dual Sport right as we got to the major paved section of the ride.

- Taking the wrong turn at said paved section and adding at least ten cold miles to the ride in the rain. Guess who was navigating? Hint, it wasnít Andy. I blame the reading glasses.

I'll be back next year.

WetSideRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #137
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Wow... that was fun!

I woke up to this Friday morning, had to unplug the storm drain so I wouldn't drown my wife's Passat and then spent 250 miles in a downpour driving north.

Got what I thought was a decent spot along this short berm to shield me from the wind... noob mistake, as I was blocked in and 1/2 miles of mud-bogging from the exit.

Found the GL boys and did some BS'ing...

And then ran a couple practice laps, it was greasy out there! Yet another good reason for a steering damper on my 450, if only the wife would see the light

Ran into town for some chow at Chief's and chewed the fat with a Stumpjumper, turns out he was born and raised in Sheridan, WY, not far from where I grew up. This event has to be a massive economic shot in the arm for this community, I hope other communities take notice and take action to maintain access to their local riding areas.

I think Odessa has given a lot over the years...

Got situated and bundled up for a cold night in the tent. Earplugs did a fair job drowning out the constant buzz of 2-stroke traffic and one of my neighbors getting rid of their stomach contents at 1:00 AM

Saturday dawned pretty early, I became fully conscious at about 5 AM and was just contemplating rolling out at 5:45 when it started a light rain again. But who cares, I came to ride and my hoss was ready

Pretty good rain by the riders meeting at 7. I took off on the Ironman loop fairly early and was all fogged up and shedding layers within a few miles.

Had an absolute ball though, I think the 450 EXC was perfect for this stuff. Plenty of grunt for tractoring through the mud and rocks, and plenty of suspension for blasting through the woops. This particular shot may have been a bit off piste, at one point I followed a single set of tracks for a few miles before popping out at a checkpoint.

I'd periodically hit groups of riders and then be on my own for awhile, really liked the track, trying to pick out the best thread through the sagebrush and trying to keep my vision up so I wouldn't get surprised by a particularly nasty set of whoops.

More desert scenery... sorry for the rather blah shots, I'm too tired to do any processing and didn't take many anyway due to the rain :)

Some cool little flat topped buttes in the background. About this time I had the first question about my Giant Loop Mojavi, kind of a "WTF are you carrying all that crap around for?" question I like to be prepared and I don't like carrying all that crap on my back

The stuff along the river was fun and challenging for me, glad to have made it though without going into the river or going down and being used as a ramp by the rest of the pack.

After the Ironman loop I managed to get confused and couldn't really figure out which was the DS A-Loop (sorry Pat and Dave!). I went back to camp and got my ticket punched and hooked up with a guy (Israel) on a Dizzer. He needed some fuel which I had and I needed some roll-chart direction, which he had, so we did the A-Loop together. Some really fun singletrack but I was getting tired by then and we kept moving, so very few pictures. It was funny, whenever we got to something where skill mattered, Israel had no problem maintaining the lead. Whenever we got to something where motorcycle mattered, I could take it if I wanted . Here's one measily shot of Israel at the ranch on the A-Loop that had the MX course... really fun loop for us.

By that time I was famished, so I burned for Odessa and looked for the brewery... by looking for the pack of dirt bikes

After chow I went looking for the trails south of town, finally found them in the rain with a big guy on a KLR. Rode those and by now it's raining good... started heading north from town to catch the bottom of the B-Loop and thought screw this, time go get out of dodge before the Passat is a permanent fixture in the mud. I beat feet back to camp and got lucky because a truck and trailer had left giving me an exit. I scouted the mud, tore down a very wet and muddy camp, threw it in the (2WD) car, and *barely* made it out of there. Couldn't believe it.... the traction control wouldn't let me get any momentum, but it also hauled that car through some stuff that I thought was totally impassible. I got one little assist in the deep mud right at the exit to get me moving again and I was out. *Whew*.... would have loved to see the race but by that time all my clothes were wet with sweat or rain.

So I ran to family in Ellensburg, sat in a hot tub, and came home this morning :)

Had a GREAT time, can't wait for next year!

By the way, what would an eight high pair of nines have done for me??
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #138
Grantizzle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
<<<--- big guy on a KLR. Good to ride with you. I'm already pumped for next year, but hopefully I'll be on a better suited bike.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #139
MasterChief OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetSideRider View Post

Watching MasterChief on the Iron Man on his 610. He was the only guy I saw with saddlebags, and he made it look easy.

I'll be back next year.

Real easy, except somewhere along the way my front rotor met a rock.

I finished one loop the Iron Man and road into town for lunch. It was at that point that I noticed something wrong with the front brake. Didn't do anymore of the dual sport and headed home Saturday afternoon. Fun day overall. My 4th time out there and I'll do it again
Old 04-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #140
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantizzle View Post
<<<--- big guy on a KLR. Good to ride with you. I'm already pumped for next year, but hopefully I'll be on a better suited bike.
Ha! Excellent! Yeah man you took that thing places I wouldn't have dared when I was on a KLR!
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #141
mrpeasle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
There was a KTM Adventure S in the river. I believe he was in the second heat and was absolutely hauling. I raced the 100 miler. I saw it on the second lap. I have no clue how they are going to get that out of the water and then down the trail. I dont post on here much but I want to know how that story ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Just heard from Oregon Coast with an up date on the Outta Sight Racing Team. It looks like OC came in 8th in his class and had the oldest bike out there. Luke is still out but should be coming in soon. I don't know how LCGarage did and Kootenai Rider didn't return from his work trip in time to get to the race today.

They didn't have phone service out there until this afternoon and the reception was very bad.

It sounded like there was carnage in the Adventure class but I don't have any more details on that.

Waiting to hear the full stories about everyone out there.
mrpeasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #142
ryanthewalker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110

Hey guys, thanks for sharing some of the videos and pictures so quickly!

The last time I rode the D100 was in 2009. In 2010, I mangled my knee a month before the race, and in 2011 I had since moved out to Wisconsin from Colorado for grad school and I was so busy I couldn't get out for the race.

Well, this year, I was able to fly out from WI and decided to team the race with my pops (a fast, fat old bastard with some class wins under his belt and a 2nd overall in his prime). The team decision was driven by fact that I hadn't been on a bike since I hurt me knee. We rode a 530 EXC. For prep I had been working out pretty hard and have been running 5 miles daily with some erg work and a little bit of weights to get the muscles feeling lively. On Saturday, I did a lap of the poker run to sort things out, and after a hot dog I followed a nice pair of pants for a bit and just enjoyed the scenery.

Pops ran the first lap and made it through without any big offs, but the bottle necks did slow him down a bit. He came in with his helmet visor flopping around, and I instantly thought he had wiped out and cracked the dome, but it turned out that one of the visor screws came off and that was it. He has a really sore neck from the wind and the flopping visor constantly pulling his head to one side! His time was about 2:30 from second wave start (9:45).

After a 1:00 pit for fuel and armband/number change, I was off. It was so nice to have a wide-open course for the 2nd lap. I got into my groove quickly and the 530 was a champ through all the technical stuff. I felt some of the technical sections were much harder in years past, but that could have been due to the fact that I got into better shape this year, and also that there weren't many people at those spots on the 2nd lap, so I could pick a nice line and not have to worry about anybody else. Staying on the outer sections of the rutted/muddy sections was the best plan of attack. I had a couple of squid moments in the mud, and one tip-over on a hill climb, but the Rekluse clutch worked perfectly so I was able to pick the bike up and pick a new line through the rocks to the top. It's pretty bony out there, and some of the whoops are getting DEEP after the past years on the same sections, but riding the edges and cooking with spices (burning sage on the pipe) was the answer to that problem. I rode my best ever and was able to stand on the pegs for 99% of the time... that alone was my biggest accomplishment for the weekend. From miles 35-45 I was really on it and felt that was my best riding of the day. I came in 2:10 after getting the bike handed off to me. That was quite a line at the finish, but perfect for killing a few cans of suds and cooling down before grabbing a finishers tee-shirt. All in all, I couldn't have had a better day (except for the blisters on my hands.. still bleeding this morning.) In fact I was feeling so good after the lap that I could have rode another 50.

FORUM FODDER:
  • Anyone know who won and with what time? The leaders came in to the pits at 1:35 from first wave start. Looked like #1 (I'm guessing last years' winner) was in 2nd coming in and going out. Only about 30 seconds apart maybe.
  • Edit: mrpeasle beat me to it while I was doing the write up! Who's big KTM Adventure went into the drink at the train tressel??? I'm surprised no one has mentioned that yet or posted pics. And not "in the drink" but completely underwater in the creek with about a foot of water flowing over it. I heard that the rider went in with it and the cold water/high wind combo got him a little hypothermic and he was given attention and taken away.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpeasle View Post
    There was a KTM Adventure S in the river. I believe he was in the second heat and was absolutely hauling. I raced the 100 miler. I saw it on the second lap. I have no clue how they are going to get that out of the water and then down the trail. I dont post on here much but I want to know how that story ended.
  • I had somewhere between 105-107 miles on the ODO; anyone able to confirm? That is a true D100 for all the 2 lappers out there, congrats! Somewhere between 2006-2010 there was one year at 60-65-ish per lap, that was a real long one. Woof.
  • Weather: Thank you everybody for your prayers. Weather was prime both days. Rain tapering off in the early morning leaving a damp and tacky course. I'd take a little mud for dust any weekend. The wind took care of any sections that eventually dried out and got a little "dusty"... still perfect compared to a dry race. IIRC, 2006 was the same way for Sundays race... early rain and a perfect course. That was also the last year they sent riders through the creek.
  • There seemed to be a lot of bikes laying around when I was out on the 2nd lap. There was a lot of carnage to hardware, but I haven't heard of any real serious offs/incidents yet. Didn't see the helicopter in action at all, thank goodness. I do remember flying through one rock garden and seeing 4 or 5 brake levers laying in the rocks!
  • Who invited Wile E. Coyote? About 4 miles from the finish, there was a stunning blonde parked in the middle of the course, leaning on her bike and with her helmet off, hair flowing in the breeze. I flinched and did my only brake-check of the race, but thought better of it and left her in the dust. Temptation from satan or desert mirage, I don't know.
Looking forward to hearing more stories and seeing pics/video! I have today to rest and unload the truck, and then I'm hitting up the airport tomorrow for my flight back to America's Dairyland.

Cheers!
Ryan

ryanthewalker screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 08:35 AM Reason: mrpeasle! newman! *fist pump*
ryanthewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #143
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeasle View Post
We got it out, thanks to some strong young guys.

1000 CBR
200 KDX

Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #144
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156 View Post
We got it out, thanks to some strong young guys.
That's it? End of story?

:popcorn
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #145
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
Near perfect conditions and a great race. It was great to meet many of you and thanks to the guys that helped me load my beast after the race..Good times!
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #146
Helmet_Hair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetSideRider View Post
Hereís a recap of my first D100 weekend. I didnít stay for the race, and didnít take any pictures, but it was a great experience.

The Good Stuff

- Meeting a bunch of super people.

- Winning the drawing to see who got to sleep solo on one of the two queen beds us three dudes had to share at the Best Western. Sorry guys.

- Having the rain stop before we suited up for the Iron Man/Dual Sport combo we planned to ride.

- Not trying to do two laps of the Iron Man, and following one IM lap with the Dual Sport course.

- Knowing three out of the five check point people I stopped at for a card drawing. Small world.

- Watching MasterChief on the Iron Man on his 610. He was the only guy I saw with saddlebags, and he made it look easy.

- Dancing the 390 up the gnarliest rock garden on the ride, while threading the needle between two downed riders and their helpers. Disclaimer: the climb was off-course and I had to reverse it five minutes later. It was still fun.

- Riding most of the dual sport single track with nobody else around. Some of the best trail riding I have ever done. Very high grins per mile.

The "Adventure" Stuff

- Doing the laugh-in fall 30 feet from Andy and Ron, who were waiting for all sorts of other carnage to disperse in one of the rocky sections. Dang short legs. This had a positive side too, since I had help righting the bike, which was nearly upside down, and neither Ron nor Andy got a picture.

- Abandoning Ron to the sweep riders on the Dual Sport due to a fouled plug. He missed the best riding, in my opinion. SJMC does a stellar job of helping folks, otherwise either Andy or I would have had a cold run back to get the spare plugs tucked neatly in Ronís fanny pack, stored in the warm and dry truck. Their help justified the price of admission all by itself.

- Having the rain start on the Dual Sport right as we got to the major paved section of the ride.

- Taking the wrong turn at said paved section and adding at least ten cold miles to the ride in the rain. Guess who was navigating? Hint, it wasnít Andy. I blame the reading glasses.

I'll be back next year.

I'll see if I can get a pic posted up here, only one really came out. This wasn't much of a picture taking event, too much riding to do!

Too bad I missed out on the great single-track and MX track at the end of the dual-sport. Still think the KTM 300 had a carb full of junk and not a fouled plug...and, I think you rigged the "who's-gotta-sleep-with-Andy" game.
Helmet_Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #147
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
To start with a huge thanks go to the Stumpjumpers for putting this event on. The amount of planning and control of this weekend is unbelievable and it went really well in my opinion. This was the 4th year I have had a small role as a sweep rider for both days.

It is always fun to meet new people and see old friends. I met WETSIDERIDER for the second time. According to him we had met a few years ago but I don't remember him. This has to be one of the best parts of the Dez-100, making new friends. Besides all the riding, pushing bikes and dealing with a few injuries, vendors row cost me a bunch. My 990 has been needing space to carry stuff so I made a great deal for a Great Basin Giant Loop bag. Meeting Dave Wachs in person and talking about a few things was fantastic. The vendor selling off-road necklaces and bracelets is a personal friend so had to buy my wife something to lessen the "hey honey I bought some more stuff for the bike" tension.

A few pictures from my perspective:

Mud...

more mud..

mud ruts..

EMS Crew on standby..

This little hill was giving lots of people a struggle. If I don't push another bike up a hill for the rest of the year I will be happy!

Myself going out Sunday morning to ride sweep. The role of a sweep rider is a tough job. It is two long days on the bike dealing with all sorts of problems. My primary role is emergency medical provider. I am one of several EMT's that ride the event along with the ambulance crews. We have several briefings before and after each day to discuss things and make improvements when needed. A good sweep rider should be a bit of a mechanic and motivator at times.

Hope you all had fun and those that didn't should attend the event!

TONY

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #148
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,428
Thanks everyone for the pics and reports!

Hi Tony! I'm surprised you wouldn't remember Dan.

I think you'd look like less of an ass if you'd shut the fuck up more often. Boondoggle
kwisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #149
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post
Thanks everyone for the pics and reports!

Hi Tony! I'm surprised you wouldn't remember Dan.
He remembers me so what does that tell ya?

TONY

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #150
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,177
"This little hill was giving lots of people a struggle."

I spent some time in those rocks to the left in that picture. I kept whispering to myself "pull your socks up, you've only come 1/2 mile from camp"
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote