Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #46
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
Don't be silly, who builds truck bodies from steel these days? They're all aluminium!

and plastic
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #47
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
I really want to take my mutt out in my box sidecar, but he is young (just over a year), big and powerful. He is a Alaskan Malamute and his brain is permanently set to stupid.

Anyone got any good ideas?
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #48
RidingDonkeys OP
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,664
This seems like a scenario where bolting him in would be good. I started my dog out by just teaching him to sit in the sidecar in the driveway before we ever thought about hitting the road.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #49
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
I really want to take my mutt out in my box sidecar, but he is young (just over a year), big and powerful. He is a Alaskan Malamute and his brain is permanently set to stupid.

Anyone got any good ideas?

He's probably not so much set to "stupid" as to "adolescent"! If so, then he should improve in a year or so; they (dogs and cats) seem to get much less daft from about two years old.

Tie him down firmly without a break point or magnet and make sure he can't get his rear end over the side and fall out backwards. I don't own a sidecar, but I had a Mini Moke while living with two German Shepherds years ago and they took a little while to learn not to jump/fall out.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #50
val. h.
On the wrong planet

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
He's probably not so much set to "stupid" as to "adolescent"! If so, then he should improve in a year or so; they (dogs and cats) seem to get much less daft from about two years old.

Tie him down firmly without a break point or magnet and make sure he can't get his rear end over the side and fall out backwards. I don't own a sidecar, but I had a Mini Moke while living with two German Shepherds years ago and they took a little while to learn not to jump/fall out.

That's true, Our whippet cept trying to sit down with her bum over the space between the chair and the bike last weekend. Mind you once we where moving she was happy to lay down on the seat most of the time.

Val.

Ay! and the roads need to be bloody good too
val. h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #51
rg, sw wa.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
This looked good and sounded good,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SuFO4y8eFI

Hope the link worked !
rg, sw wa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #52
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,939
Quote:
So true! I tether Barley because he hunts. My other two goldens, Kazoo and Tullamore, haven't expressed any interest in hacking. They're both at the "If it can't be eaten or humped I ain't interested stage."
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #53
RidingDonkeys OP
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,664
So the big guy has proved pretty stable in the chair, but having a dog in your sidecar seems to make others forget how to drive. Our first heavy traffic ride is past us now, and I am rethinking my restraint system.

Long story short, people keep doing dumb $%*& around us, and I'm having to avoid the madness at least once a trip. I'm worried about him tipping over in a swerve left. I'm still hesitant to drill holes until I know for sure where they belong, so in the meantime I am using industrial suction cups. These suckers don't budge, and they've done well so far. A few more rides and I ought to have this thing dialed in.

Sent from my DROID 2 using Typotalk
Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #54
rebelpacket
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 725
I don't leash my dog to a hard surface when we're riding in the hack. My theory being if there is some disaster, I'd rather her be thrown from the rig, than bolted into it and dragged along. I figure most of the joy of motorcycling is being "free". Why would I bolt my dog into the rig?

I wrap her leash around my leg once and thats it. It gives her a little extra support if we do any sharp maneuvering. Normally she reads the turns pretty well and leans into them.

When I was training her for sidecar rides, I looped the leash around the lower foot peg to keep her inside the hack.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #55
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Mine is a cat chaser ( and chicken's) so I am worried about him legging it at traffic lights and traffic jams etc.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #56
DustyPawson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
First, here's a photo with my dogs geared up and ready to go. Up front is Murphy, my growing Newfoundland/Bernese Mtn Dog mix pup. In back is my girl Australian Shepherd, who just so loves the ride.
DustyPawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #57
DustyPawson
Adventurer

Here's the back seat. The sidecar seat is removed and fits perfectly in the empty trunk giving my girl some height to see over her much bigger "brother's" massive head. (Spare tire and bracket also removed). I modified some support tubing to help give my girl some security and some more room. It attaches to a piece of channel behind the front seat with two 5/16" hex bolts. These adjustable side bar also keep the trunk lid from opening further or from collapsing. I can disconnect from the trunk, which swings down and allows her to jump in and she readily does so. (I'm the impatient one and usually end up just lifting her 70 pounds into the seat from the side.) All areas get padded with pipe insulation and other padding. I installed two eyebolts and use a loop of climbing webbing, which runs to her harness and attaches with a climbing carabiner.at the front. There's a separate attatchment to the back of her harness. She can't lie down, unfortunately, so longer rides would invove rest stops (then again, she doesn't lie down even when she rides "up front")
Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #58
DustyPawson
Adventurer

Here's a shot, more to the side, of my 2-dog setup.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #59
DustyPawson
Adventurer

Last one for now. Here my "big dog" setup. The bottom is padded with a "chef's mat," which I like quite a lot. I use his leash to make a 2-point attachment at the rear at the back of the harness (with a carabiner on the hand loop of the leash. He's a tall, top-heavy dog and this keeps him stable from falling left, or more importatly, to the right--it also keeps him from falling forward in a sudden stop. It permits him to lie down should he chose (which he usually does not). There's also an attachment to the front of his harness in the floor of the tub. The sides are padded with pipe insulation. Since I have effectively lost my trunk with a dog in the back, I have "moved it" to the nose with a tote that I secure there. This seems to be working so far, but like everything else I'll probably continue to mod. Both dogs have harnesses and doggles. (Wife's a veterinarian; so I have some strict approval to meet.) I also carry static line tied into two prussik loops with extra carabiners for emergency use.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #60
simmonsk133
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I got the doggles. Sgt. Beagle wore them in the store while riding in the cart. Everyone thought it was too cute. In the Ural, he rides with the wife. Now it is time for him to solo. I am still looking for ways to secure him. He weights 35 lbs and is not fat. Basically a beagle with legs. He will wear the doggles while sitting in the sidecar, but the moment he gets on the ground, he paws them off. Won't walk with them on. Maybe he thinks they make him look geeky.....
simmonsk133 is offline   Reply With Quote