Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #16
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I just got my ADV tank yesterday and played with it last night. I had to make some spacers for the front mount posts as the SW Motech rack I have on has a bit shorter mounting bosses on them. Then I'm still scratching my head to figure out how the screws on the rear mounting posts can reach the mounts with the thick rubber spacers installed top and bottom of those holes. I tried to squeeze the rubber bushings down with everything I had, but even still the screws are too short. It looks like from your mounted pictures that the top plate does not completely screw down flush with the top of the tank. I'm assuming you got the screws to reach and when screwed down pretty tight the mounting rubbers still hold the top plate up off the tank a bit. Am I missing some trick or did you have to monkey with it a bit too?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
GB OP
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,249
I think the rear bolts could stand to be a few mm longer. If you engage the threads of the rear bolts first, then mount the front ones, leave everything loose, and then tighten all 4, round robin style, you should be good.

I'm going to suggest to Scott at ADV tank to supply slightly longer bolts for the rear, although it's not really necessary, it would require less effort.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #18
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 551
Thumb Thanks!

GB

Thanks for posting. My dealer is installing the tank before I take delievery of my (used) 2009. Your install looks good!

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #19
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I think the rear bolts could stand to be a few mm longer. If you engage the threads of the rear bolts first, then mount the front ones, leave everything loose, and then tighten all 4, round robin style, you should be good.

I'm going to suggest to Scott at ADV tank to supply slightly longer bolts for the rear, although it's not really necessary, it would require less effort.
Yep, a few mm longer bolts are in my trip plans to the hardware store today. I tried installing the rear bolts first, and I pushed down with all I could to compress the rubber bushings, but the bolts still wouldn't reach the threaded post. The post either needs to be raised up or longer bolts there. Not really a big deal, but still a bit of a hassle for sure.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
GB OP
Mod Squad

You are using an SW motech rack, so the spacing might be a little off because of that. Longer bolts should fix that.. Please let us know what size bolts end up working for you, I'm going to do the same.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
You are using an SW motech rack, so the spacing might be a little off because of that. Longer bolts should fix that.. Please let us know what size bolts end up working for you, I'm going to do the same.
The front mount posts where the SW rack attaches needed a spacer added to be able to screw in and not bottom out, but the rear mount points have nothing to do with the SW rack and are the same as stock. That's where I'm finding the issue with the length of either the bolts or the mounting post itself. I'll try and send in some pictures when I get home from work today if I can get Picasa to work for me, sometimes it does, sometimes not???
Old 03-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
GB OP
Mod Squad

Here's what mine looks like, hopefully you can post a pic of yours:

Old 03-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 98
Well, that is THE worst place I can imagine for extra fuel tank .
Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
DefyInertia
Saratogian

Oddometer: 153
That bike is going to handle like. Dog loaded up, no? I guess that is just a compromise. Nice lookin setup.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #25
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olvi View Post
Tell that to all the guys who run 1 or 2 gal. Rotopax or Kolpin on the rear rack too then. At least with the adv tank, you've only got that weight up there for the first 1.6 gallons of fuel that you burn.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #26
GB OP
Mod Squad

The bike handles just fine.. I don't notice any difference between the Adv tank and when I had my Givi E53 case on there.. It corners just as it did before and left to right transitions with the tank full are seamless. And as mentioned above, within the first 100 miles, the fuel in the Advtank would has been exhausted, whereas those who mount Rotopax containers back there, carry that extra weight until the main tank is empty and they have to stop and pour the fuel from the Rotopax into the main tank.

The other option is a tank that hangs off the side of the bike, like the X Tank on the G650X Challenge, but then the complaints will be that you can't fit any standard panniers. The other option is the Touratech tank: A lot of work to install it, you have to make holes in your stock tank, and it makes accessing the air filter and valve cover a chore, as the tank needs to come off.. and at $2000 it's not cheap, to say nothing of a top heavy bike once the Touratech tank is full. If you don't need a 400 mile range, the AdvTank is a simple, and relatively inexpensive solution.

On this bike, I ride solo 100% of the time, so the passenger portion of the seat will hold a good sized dry bag and I have the option of adding my panniers. So to me, the AdvTank does not impede load capacity, does not alter my luggage capacity, does not change the handling and does not make a huge dent in my wallet. It does give me a range of at least 300 touring miles..

I'll be able to report on the range as I start doing longer trips. Right now, I'm just commuting to work.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #27
DefyInertia
Saratogian

Oddometer: 153
Glad you like it. I was referring to the tank plus top case etc combined as weighing the bike down and killing performance. I prefer soft low slung bags, packing lite, and centralized/low fuel.

Certain things don't make a noticeable difference until the pace really ramps up. I mean, if you don't notice ANY difference then you must be just cruisin.

Thanks for the info, definitely a big plus that this fuel goes first.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #28
-W-
Flying Finn

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olvi View Post
Yep.. For sure no sideways drifting with this kind of setup. Maybe it works when you are just cruising in tarmac, but keeping throttle bodies open in gravel or offroad... .. .
-W- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #29
GB OP
Mod Squad

No drifting sideways for me.. It's no more weight than a topcase mounted there, and the weight of the fuel is gone after 100 miles. For commuting, this is working out well. IMO this is the best location that does not compromise luggage capacity for long distance riding and still gives a 500+ km range. If you want to have your cake and eat it too, this is it A side mounted tank precludes mounting panniers. And Touratech is too expen$ive for me, and quite a labor intensive installation and removal. You can be sure the dealer will charge extra for labor to remove and reinstall the tank at valve checks.. It just depends on what you want to do with the bike. This tank fits my needs and I'm delighted that I did not have to bang my head against the wall when installing it. When traveling, the case comes off and a dry bag or Motofizz will go on the seat.

I was asked to show the mounting plate for the topcase:

GB screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 06:35 AM
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #30
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

ADV Tank pix

Finally got around to getting some pix setup that should work here. First one shows the aluminum spacer I made to fill the gap at the bottom of the front mounting posts where the threaded part bottomed out in the hole before the post bottom came all the way down. I thought it was just that I've got the SW Motech rack and the mounts there were not as tall as the stock mounts, but it looks like GB's pix show his posts not threaded all the way down as well. Is that right? If that's how it's supposed to fit on the front posts, then I think they need some revision if you ask me.
The second pic shows how I made the breather work. I had already removed the charcoal cannister, so I didn't need to hookup to the stock system anyway. I just used the stock breather valve which is open to flow into the tank easily and will vent out as well if about 5-6 psi is applied to it that way. Have not had a chance to try it yet, but it is setup the same as the stock layout, just with the ADV tank added inline with it.
Third pic shows that the top plate sits off the top of the tank a bit, I guess to keep any weight you put there from compressing the tank. Overall I'm very pleased with it, but I'll report back after more trials.