User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #46
Ni3ous OP
Double Axle Rider

Oddometer: 193
I forgot to mention...
The day before we went with Tilen and his support truck, we separated from the Italian group.
Those three guys were amazing, great riders, great spirit and adventureous riders with lots of experience, especially in the desert.
It was a pleasure and fun for us riding with them, so it was difficult for us, that our ways had to separate, since they had different plans from this point on.

Good luck boys, hope we get another chance to ride together!
----------------------------------------------------

Ok, lets continue with the report.

So we had to sleep in the desert since failure on the truck did not give us much progress that day.
In the evening we had a lot of fun eating smoked sausages and sour cabbage I brought from home, as a surprise for guys. We also had a bottle of strong slovenian "radioactive" buzz, so that evening was all joy.

Since we had too much fun last night, we slept too long next morning, and the sun was already very high.
We still had to work on some repairs around truck, bikes...

We went forward with the bikes and stayed connected with truck via CB radio conection.
We went over some dune sections, and than there was one bigger dune section in front of us.
We decidet to just go straight over.
So that day we started riding too late, sun was high and sand already too dry.
There was also wind this day, so this means even faster drying of the sand, and more soft spots on the dunes, where the bike just sinks in the sand.

Getting over the top of the soft dune became very difficult. So problems began very soon.

Kawasaki already ate a lot of sand in the airbox, so he had troubles with running. Not enough airflow means not enough power and that means not enough speed and a lot of sinking in the sand.

We were stuck all the time, we had to dig bikes out most of the time. Energy was getting low, progress was slow...

We came to a point where we had no energy left. In front of us sand was so dry and soft, we could not continue and we were somewhere in the midle of the big dune section.
We could not go back since during the day sand behind us became also too dry and soft.
We were stuck.

We tried to contact Tilen in the truck, via radio, but he did not answer. We didnt know that, but he got sand in his radio, and frequency was disturbed.

So we had a real situation. It was turning in the middle of the afternoon and we had no conection with the truck, and no phone signal far around us. Tilen with the truck couldnt know where we are. In the desert it is easy to miss (not see) someone. You can be 100 meters away and not see each other. We also did not have much water or fuel left, so even if we stay in the desert alone for a night, we had no supplyes to get our selves out of the desert next day.

A while later we saw Tilen!!
He was behind us with the truck, and was driving right towards us.
I was sure he saw us, and he is comming to rescue us. So I drank all the remaining water from my camelback, I was saving, since Tilen has a lot of water in the truck.

You can see Tilens truck in the distance, as we saw him...

We thought we are rescued, but at that moment Tilen saw that big dune section in front of him, and turned the truck left, to avoid them and try to find better way to get on the other side of this difficultsection. We saw him turning truck away from us. That means he did not see us and he is not comming to get us.
It was now an emergency for us! We have to stop him or we are finished.

Peter decided to take Kawasaki because it was the lightest bike, and tried to diagonally catch the truck to stop him.
He went over few dunes and he was gone. We could not hear him or see him anymore.
We also could not hear or see the truck anymore.

We wait for a long time and no one is comming back. I realised that Kawasaki had no GPS, so Peter had no coordinates where we are stranded. Since there was wind, there was no tracks seen on the ground. Wind covers tracks in a minutes. So I realized even if Peter catches the truck and stops him, there is almost no chance that they will found us!

Think, think, think....
That was in my mind. There was not much we could do, but I saw a bush close to us, and Bor is smoker, so he has lighter. So we made a signel fire. But the issue was, the fire did not give black smoke, like in the movies.

You can see the fire we made in the back, but no smoke, damn it.

Later I figured we have to gather more green branches and grass and put it on the fire.
But there was not much choice for that in the midle of sahara...

Ni3ous screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 11:19 AM
Ni3ous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #47
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Eh?

Scary...

Really.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #48
diskow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
On the pictures it can be clearly seen that there is wind blowing and the sand storm is making much harder for us.

Keep on Roman !
diskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #49
Nakki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
c'mon what next?
Nakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #50
sigitaemile
:)

Oddometer: 4
You are crazy, guys But I love it!!! Keep going ;)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sigita...96?ref=tn_tnmn
sigitaemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #51
drex
So Cal

Oddometer: 115
Patiently Waiting...

Great story and adventure - thanks for sharing with us!

Patiently waiting...
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #52
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149
Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #53
Ni3ous OP
Double Axle Rider

Sorry for delay, but I am really busy these days.
So I will give you this movie, to make it easier for you, to wait for the next part of the report.
Best part of the movie is action in the other half, so stick with it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CZ4RRq_5Eo

Thank you Naco for taking time and making this movie for us.

I promise I will give you one more movie in HD in future.

Enjoy!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #54
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 599
Tunisia - offroad all the way down

This is THE RIDE !!!

What an awesome video.

It is a joy to see these magnificent stallions riding happy, free of all the (usual) side bags garbage. Skilled yet playful, with speed and adrenalin, with confidence into the uncertain... YES!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see more.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 AM   #55
Ni3ous OP
Double Axle Rider

Still didnt have time to continue...
Thanks to Naco, we have another movie from this trip, to amuse you a bit, before I continue with the report.

Manny thanks to Naco for next compilation!

Ni3ous screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 05:34 AM
Ni3ous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #56
NACO
Me gusta la moto

Oddometer: 23
Ni3ous, you know that my days have now 27 hours... I´ve enjoyed a lot editing this
let me copy both videos here:

Old 03-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #57
Ni3ous OP
Double Axle Rider

Awesome!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #58
diskow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Supreme!
diskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #59
A_KLR97
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
First one with music, it's a great video.
A_KLR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #60
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Great writing and great photos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3ous View Post
So while refuelling empty Tenere, Peter found famous Rommel piste on his Garmin Quest. The turn for that piste is only a minute back from where we were, and than up the hill to the piste!
What a coincidence, we were actually happy I ran out of fuel, otherwise we would miss Rommel piste.

Climbing to the top of the pass of Rommel piste. The road was build in World War and its made of concrete

View opened from the top of the pass, on the flatlands on the other side of the mountain

Somewhere in the middle of descend on the other side, we met a dog in one corner of the road.
Looks like he actually lives here

We didnt have much with us, but Peter and Mitja gave him all their food, and the dog was gratefull.

So if any of you plan driving this road, remember to have some food with you, because you will probably meet this nice dog on the way.

This descent over the concrete road was really scenic, so all off us turned the bikes off, and rode them down the mountain in silence.

Bridge destroyed from floods last year, on the south side of the Rommel piste.

The view is spectacular.

In the back there are mountains where Rommel piste leads.

After that we had one hour of really fast riding over the bumpy track and night was catching us.
So we had to find road fast, before the dark.
GPS showed one road 6 kilometres on the right, so we had to cross desert straight for a few kilometres off road through difficult and soft terrain to make it before dark. Progress was slow and we needed more than 30 minutes.

We made it. We found road just before sunset and there was a small sand storm coming...

Than we only had smooth asphalt for 20 kilometres in the dark to reach Tozeur and find a sleep there.

Day was long and exhausting, but spirits are high!
And you must all be great guys to stop and take the time to feed a dog in the middle of nowhere. Good things will come your way for that kindness. KARMA!!

Ride Safe!

Taz9
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote