User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #181
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,749
Just curious about the construction schedule for the new building, Is the Hump being demoed and the new stadium being built at the old site or is the new one going up in a parking lot next to it? Will the new stadium have a roof? Where will the Queens play during construction if they build directly on the present site?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #182
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
Just curious about the construction schedule for the new building, Is the Hump being demoed and the new stadium being built at the old site or is the new one going up in a parking lot next to it? Will the new stadium have a roof? Where will the Queens play during construction if they build directly on the present site?
They are building it on the eastern portion of the dome site, where there is currently parking. The existing dome is partially under the footprint of the new stadium; the rest of that space will become the entrance / plaza area near the light rail line.

The new stadium will have a roof. The state will not contribute to rectractibility; Wilf has the option to kick in another $150myn to make that happen if he wants.

They plan to play 2012 and 2013 in the dome while construction begins. They'll have to knock down the humptydome sometime in 2014; rest of that season and all of 2015 will be played at TCF Bank Stadium, the 3 year-old home of the U of MN Gophers where they played during the dome collapse debacle. Not sure if the U or the team are paying to heat the field and make other minor upgrades, but the upgrades will happen. The state already approved beer in the stadium; it will be the only University property serving alcohol to the public.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #183
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
They are building it on the eastern portion of the dome site, where there is currently parking. The existing dome is partially under the footprint of the new stadium; the rest of that space will become the entrance / plaza area near the light rail line.

The new stadium will have a roof. The state will not contribute to rectractibility; Wilf has the option to kick in another $150myn to make that happen if he wants.

They plan to play 2012 and 2013 in the dome while construction begins. They'll have to knock down the humptydome sometime in 2014; rest of that season and all of 2015 will be played at TCF Bank Stadium, the 3 year-old home of the U of MN Gophers where they played during the dome collapse debacle. Not sure if the U or the team are paying to heat the field and make other minor upgrades, but the upgrades will happen. The state already approved beer in the stadium; it will be the only University property serving alcohol to the public.
What's the capacity going to be? Is there a link out there with a rendering of what it's going to look like? Thanks for the info.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #184
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
What's the capacity going to be? Is there a link out there with a rendering of what it's going to look like? Thanks for the info.
70k, IIRC

the minneapolis star-tribune has a ton of articles (one a day for the past month, it seems like) I didn't dig thru them all, but here's a map.

http://www.startribune.com/newsgraphics/142321875.html

Kevin Siefert has put up a bunch of info on his NFC North blog on ESPN as well.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #185
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,534
LA rejoices, they feel a burden has been lifted from them. They did not want the Vikings franchise when they could have anyone else.

Just send AP, you keep the rest.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #186
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
LA rejoices, they feel a burden has been lifted from them. They did not want the Vikings franchise when they could have anyone else.

Just send AP, you keep the rest.
I'm fairly annoyed that my city and state are financing this shit. At least the city sales tax is somewhat relevant; the expanded gambling to service the state debt is about the most regressive tax they could come up with. I suppose that is better left to CSM.

Humpty dome for two more years, anyway. That'll suck for everyone.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #187
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I'm fairly annoyed that my city and state are financing this shit. At least the city sales tax is somewhat relevant; the expanded gambling to service the state debt is about the most regressive tax they could come up with. I suppose that is better left to CSM.

Humpty dome for two more years, anyway. That'll suck for everyone.
I don't have a problem with the public financing. From now on that is how all stadia will be built. I also think the agreement is fairly tough on the Vikings, compared to other deals (St. Louis) that have been made around the country. Sure the Wilfs got off cheap and sure they are going to make a lot of money on the stadium, but that is why you buy NFL teams - to make a lot of money.

I'm looking forward to watching one, maybe two seasons of NFL football outside in Minnesota. TCF field is going to get some updates to make it ready for winter games. Heated turf, different scoreboard, more seating, beer. It will be cool to see them play outside in a relatively small stadium for a couple years. It will be old school.

Then we get the new stadium. I'm going to start saving now so that maybe when the thing opens I can afford to buy a ticket or two to a game.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #188
Hodag OP
native

Oddometer: 22,791
are they going to tear down the humpty dump or just let it collapse on its own again
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #189
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
are they going to tear down the humpty dump or just let it collapse on its own again
Ziggy's waiting to tear it down until the winter and hoping for a big snow so he can save the demo costs.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #190
Hodag OP
native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
It will be cool to see them play outside in a relatively small stadium for a couple years. It will be old school.
it'll bring back memories when the vikings went 0-4 in their superbowl run
Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #191
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
TCF field is going to get some updates to make it ready for winter games. Heated turf, different scoreboard, more seating, beer. It will be cool to see them play outside in a relatively small stadium for a couple years. It will be old school.

TCF is a pretty spartan facility. I took a tour before it opened; the team facilities (locker room, training areas, etc. ) are very nice, but the seats and concourses are just concrete, plastic, and steel.

Also, parking is non existent, so there's that to look forward to.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #192
WaterWheel
Multi Talentless

Oddometer: 17,993
I'm glad they got it done.

As much as I can't stand the Vikings, I'd hate to see them move. I like the old school NFC Central border wars.

With the new stadium, I hope they get rid of that annoying "do-do-dooo" horn that they play after every first down. They can jam that thing up their used lutefisk hole.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #193
Hodag OP
native

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWheel View Post
They can jam that thing up their used lutefisk hole.

you know why they serve lutefisk at minnesoda weddings?

keeps the flies off the bride
Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #194
linkweewee
tantum quantum

"But that money could have been used to fund the schools!!!!"
Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #195
Hodag OP
native

Quote:
"But that money could have been used to fund the schools!!!!"
i still remember the guy that said that walker should have sold off the packers to balance the budget..

publicaly owned vs. state owned confused him

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: