ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #1291
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: green bay, wi
Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
And I like to think I was smart because I did finish my degree,and even go on to get a master's. So football really paid for my education, and even though I had a tryout with the Houston Oilers (remember them?) and never made the NFL, I still came out okay.

But if I had long-term mental or physical problems now... all those medical bills would be on me. For some guys, it's do-or-die and playing college football could really screw them up for life. I think the NCAA does quite a lot to get these kids to get a degree, but you can lead a horse to water, but....
The fact you got your masters proves you saw the big picture and took advantage of the schooling.

I would say a lot of these free ride stars are qualified for anything over working fast food, heck even making it to the NFL means nothing since most go broke within 5 years not playing.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #1292
Hodag OP
native
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Oddometer: 22,792
Best day of football
Conference championships
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #1293
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: green bay, wi
Oddometer: 614
Tomorrow will be good, I'm going with the miners taking it all. Anyone but the patriots
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #1294
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
The fact you got your masters proves you saw the big picture and took advantage of the schooling.

I would say a lot of these free ride stars are qualified for anything over working fast food, heck even making it to the NFL means nothing since most go broke within 5 years not playing.
You hear about a lot of NFL players going broke, especially the high-profile first-round draft picks. But nowadays the rookies go to a symposium after they're drafted, and they really do receive some fantastic advice from owners, GMs, coaches, current and ex-players. A lot of the advice is financial, and what to expect from friends and family asking for money, and regarding gold-digging women, and how to manage your money. From what I understand, the advice is brutal and realistic.

I am sort of amazed by how many NFL players don't go broke. They really are getting some great advice, I think. Unfortunately, there are so many high-profile guys (like Adam "Pacman" Jones, or Ryan Leaf) who get into the league and just seem hell-bent on fucking up their lives and their careers.

To your point, though, there are a lot of extremely talented guys in college who don't make it into the NFL because the can't handle the mental/intelligence aspect of it. They're football smart, but maybe not real-life smart. Smart or dumb, the ones who succeed and have long financially-stable careers are the guys who listen to their trusted advisors.
__________________
If there is no one in sight in FRONT of you, and a line of assorted vehicles BEHIND you, it is NOT because they always wanted to be in a parade. Florida Lime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #1295
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
Tomorrow will be good, I'm going with the miners taking it all. Anyone but the patriots
Since you're in Green Bay, and I can only assume you are required by law to be a Packers fan, it's nice to see that you aren't holding a grudge against the team that knocked the Pack out of the playoffs.
__________________
If there is no one in sight in FRONT of you, and a line of assorted vehicles BEHIND you, it is NOT because they always wanted to be in a parade. Florida Lime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #1296
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,279
My two cents.....

I think at this point, any of the four teams could win it all.

Patriots = been there, done that, and they know how to win. Not only do they have the highest-scoring offense, they have the highest average margin of victory: 14 points.

Ravens = they've beaten the Patriots already this season, but I think they're the weakest team of the four. It will be really, really tough to win in Foxborough, but they could do it.

49ers = they are rolling with Kaepernick, who seems immune to pressure, and they have the best defense (statistically) of the four teams. Teams can't scheme for Kaepernick because there isn't enough tape on him, yet.

Falcons = they've proven they can win games, and win late if they need to. They have the second-best defense of the four remaining teams, too. Add home field advantage....

All I know, this weekend's games should be great.
__________________
If there is no one in sight in FRONT of you, and a line of assorted vehicles BEHIND you, it is NOT because they always wanted to be in a parade. Florida Lime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #1297
Hodag OP
native
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Oddometer: 22,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Since you're in Green Bay, and I can only assume you are required by law to be a Packers fan, it's nice to see that you aren't holding a grudge against the team that knocked the Pack out of the playoffs.
We know football
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #1298
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
We know football


and cheese....
__________________
If there is no one in sight in FRONT of you, and a line of assorted vehicles BEHIND you, it is NOT because they always wanted to be in a parade. Florida Lime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #1299
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer
 
tkitna's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 4,810
I have no interest in any of the remaining games since the Seahawks lost. I'm taking my concealed weapons class today instead of watching football.
__________________
Donovan: If he (Paul McCartney) fell on the piano, by the time he picked himself up he would have written three songs.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #1300
WaterWheel
Multi Talentless
 
WaterWheel's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Green Bay, WI
Oddometer: 18,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
I have no interest in any of the remaining games since the Seahawks lost. I'm taking my concealed weapons class...
C'mon tkitna, it's only football...do go off the deep end on us, buddy.

__________________
Every single bike I've ever owned.
WaterWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #1301
stevie88
That's gotta hurt
 
stevie88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The place dad always warned me about
Oddometer: 17,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
I have no interest in any of the remaining games since the Seahawks lost. I'm taking my concealed weapons class today instead of watching football.
Real men don't conceal their weapons.
__________________
In Russia we have saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We also say, "if it is broke, don't fix it".
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #1302
OuttaMyWay
I shook his hand!!!!1!!
 
OuttaMyWay's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 8,275
Watching as a partisan fan is different from watching as a football fan. Take a lesson from (iPhone edit)Hodag and watch for the beauty and intricacy.

Try this:
Volume 0 to remove the external cues of where to look.
Focus on the offensive guard and tackle. Center sometimes.
It's a lot more entertaining than watching Tom Brady prance backwards some odd number of steps.
__________________


Do you not have a sliver of any vague idea of what the fuck your talking about, or is this some sort of performance art about the limitations of man?
--KaceCoyote

OuttaMyWay screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 08:45 AM
OuttaMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #1303
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaMyWay View Post
Watching as a partisan fan is different from watching as a football fan. Take a lesson from hostage and watch for the beauty and intricacy.

Try this:
Volume 0 to remove the external cues of where to look.
Focus on the offensive guard and tackle. Center sometimes.
It's a lot more entertaining than watching Tom Brady prance backwards some odd number of steps.
I really don't have a favorite team or a favorite player, and I watch every game, every week. I'm a football fan.
__________________
If there is no one in sight in FRONT of you, and a line of assorted vehicles BEHIND you, it is NOT because they always wanted to be in a parade. Florida Lime.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #1304
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer
 
liquidsmile's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Woodstock, Ga
Oddometer: 1,351
Headed out, come on Falcons one more time.

liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #1305
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: green bay, wi
Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Since you're in Green Bay, and I can only assume you are required by law to be a Packers fan, it's nice to see that you aren't holding a grudge against the team that knocked the Pack out of the playoffs.
Well I picked the niners to go all the way at the beginning of the year and fact is they are a all round better team. I'm a packers fan but I knew they didn't have all the pieces to win it all.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014