User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #1366
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,815

He's better make Ray proud, 'cause Ray will stab a bitch!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #1367
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Sean Payton reinstated with the Saints. I see the Saints having a better season next year. They went 7-9 IIRC and I think they'll go 11-5 next year. Maybe even 12-4.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #1368
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Anyone looking at the mock drafts yet? A lot of analysts have 4-5 of the first 6 picks going on defense. Wow!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #1369
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Anyone looking at the mock drafts yet? A lot of analysts have 4-5 of the first 6 picks going on defense. Wow!
Doubt it, eats up too much cap. They can get competent players later and save the money for the so called skilled players.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #1370
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Doubt it, eats up too much cap. They can get competent players later and save the money for the so called skilled players.
Even with the new rookie pay scale... too much cap? I hadn't thought of cap space, but you make a good point.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #1371
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
That's because Brady's wife is a Supermodel and Welker's is a Hooters Girl.
Would I be able to tell the difference?

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #1372
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Would I be able to tell the difference?
Not with the lights off.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #1373
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I hope that he truly confessed his Sins to God, no hedging. Maybe some real redemptive open confession.
Maybe he goes to the same church as Armstrong does

Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #1374
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Even with the new rookie pay scale... too much cap? I hadn't thought of cap space, but you make a good point.

It is lower, but the top five are still entitled to a nice payday. Just not as stupid as they were being. I call it the Raider rule. Saving the Raiders from being the Raiders.

The better teams are trying to build some depth so they are not facked with one injury; it seems. Thus, the cap does matter to them...when they are trying to snag proven FA's. It is a QB light draft this year, but there are some teams in dire need of a franchise man. So, I think we see them reach a little more than they should. But, there have been some nice finds of late that went deep. So with good scouting, maybe they will find the diamond earlier. Going to be an interesting draft. You are not wrong, there are some great D players that are most likely NFL ready coming out.

Consequently, I also think there is some good talent on benches that has not been developed. On the right team, with the right tutor, they would surprise some folks. I think we may see some of that movement with there being a dearth of A-list QB's in this draft.

It is not too far away....sadly I am one of those who loves it. Watch the whole darn thing. Just glad they break it up more now.

I am going to say the Raiders take the Honey Badger...... Just for Koncha...
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #1375
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
I can see Honey Badger playing with the Raiders. However, it will be a late rounder or undrafted free agent. The Badger can play.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #1376
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
I can see Honey Badger playing with the Raiders. However, it will be a late rounder or undrafted free agent. The Badger can play.
He can, and if he keeps his nose out of trouble he will be a triple A asset to any program. Can't wait to see who takes a chance....I am thinking someone will take the chance in the 4th round on him. Maybe not, but he is a very tempting option.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #1377
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Is anyone else confused by the Eagles performance the last couple of years? All that stinking talent....and poop to show for it. I get that Andy Reid has had some really bad years in his personal life...that may have been a factor, and not something I would wish on him (even though I am obligated to hate the Eagles). But most of the coordinators today are head coaches in their own right...they should have been able scheme these guys into a pretty strong force. With or without Andy's total focus.

I do think a change of scenery will be good for the coach. And I think he has a good owner to work with.

I always take a wait and see attitude with these college coaches, now, moving to the pro's. (I did think Sabin was going to knock the lights out, how wrong I was about that.) And the new coach is a local boy for us, who has always won. So there is some sense of seeing him succeed. Is there something Wonky with Jeffrey...shades of Jerry....that make that a tough organization to be successful with? Don't see much about him and he doesn't put himself out there like Jerry....who has the insight on the plight of that team? I wish them well, as long as they finish behind the NY Football Giants.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #1378
koncha

Quote:
Is anyone else confused by the Eagles performance the last couple of years? All that stinking talent....and poop to show for it. I get that Andy Reid has had some really bad years in his personal life...that may have been a factor, and not something I would wish on him (even though I am obligated to hate the Eagles). But most of the coordinators today are head coaches in their own right...they should have been able scheme these guys into a pretty strong force. With or without Andy's total focus.

I do think a change of scenery will be good for the coach. And I think he has a good owner to work with.

I always take a wait and see attitude with these college coaches, now, moving to the pro's. (I did think Sabin was going to knock the lights out, how wrong I was about that.) And the new coach is a local boy for us, who has always won. So there is some sense of seeing him succeed. Is there something Wonky with Jeffrey...shades of Jerry....that make that a tough organization to be successful with? Don't see much about him and he doesn't put himself out there like Jerry....who has the insight on the plight of that team? I wish them well, as long as they finish behind the NY Football Giants.
I think the NFL has changed dramatically in the last decade. The professionalism and complexity of defense is the biggest change. I heard a Colts player say when he played in the late 90s, the defensive game plan was about 10 pages. In his last seasons, it had grown to 80 pages. They would prep 6 to 8 blitz packages and schemes for each game. At the end, they were prepping the whole defensive play book, each week. 100+ package and scheme combinations.

I don't think the Eagles adapted. They did business as usual. Just look at their plays. They were dull, unimaginative, and repetitive. They were playing the game as it was at the turn of the century.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #1379
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
I think the NFL has changed dramatically in the last decade. The professionalism and complexity of defense is the biggest change. I heard a Colts player say when he played in the late 90s, the defensive game plan was about 10 pages. In his last seasons, it had grown to 80 pages. They would prep 6 to 8 blitz packages and schemes for each game. At the end, they were prepping the whole defensive play book, each week. 100+ package and scheme combinations.

I don't think the Eagles adapted. They did business as usual. Just look at their plays. They were dull, unimaginative, and repetitive. They were playing the game as it was at the turn of the century.
No doubt that is all true. But they have the juice to hold their own with just about any team. One of those coordinator changes, at least, should have brought that insight to the organization. Andy is not a stupid guy, he has been under the knife so to speak for the last four years. One would think he would listen to good ideas from these other coaches brought in. You know, how do you stop your thumb from hurting? It is baffling.....they built that defense and offense to be a powerhouse. On paper they won the super bowl by 70 points just a few short years ago, by most analysts perspective before the season started. They spent a fortune on FA signings. Sure, they had some key offensive players hurt for extended periods that year. Usually a sign that the pre-season conditioning was too soft for the rigors of an NFL season. They are not the only team to do this, but in recent memory the scale of their moves was nothing short of great expectations.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #1380
koncha

Quote:
No doubt that is all true. But they have the juice to hold their own with just about any team. One of those coordinator changes, at least, should have brought that insight to the organization. Andy is not a stupid guy, he has been under the knife so to speak for the last four years. One would think he would listen to good ideas from these other coaches brought in. You know, how do you stop your thumb from hurting? It is baffling.....they built that defense and offense to be a powerhouse. On paper they won the super bowl by 70 points just a few short years ago, by most analysts perspective before the season started. They spent a fortune on FA signings. Sure, they had some key offensive players hurt for extended periods that year. Usually a sign that the pre-season conditioning was too soft for the rigors of an NFL season. They are not the only team to do this, but in recent memory the scale of their moves was nothing short of great expectations.
I did an RFP once for a large company. We had three responses. Two were from giant consulting firms that had done work like this for us in the past and were highly successful. The third was a small start up company.

The small start up blew us away with the presentation and the clarity they showed about the problem we were looking to resolve. They got the contract and did a fantastic job for us.

However, looking at the resumes of people who would be assigned to our projects (an RFP requirement), you saw a lot of top 10 business schools in the large firm responses. The small company had solid resumes but definitely smaller schools and smaller projects.

The difference was prep. The small company nearly killed us asking for more information during the RFP. We offered all of that info to all participants but I don't think the big players even looked at it. That little guy sure did. They used all of that information to come up with the most amazing RFP presentation I have ever seen.

Why was that? The other companies had the more distinguished track record and the high end talent.

Simple.

Desire. They wanted it more. They weren't resting on reputation. They weren't resting on a previous track record.

I am sure those two companies had someone in there telling them they needed to up their game in the RFP process. However, they were beat down by the machine. They were molded and groomed into the way of the firm.

Same thing happened with Philly. They filled the ranks of coaches with a bunch of sycophants. They were people who weren't innovators in their previous positions. The little new blood that made it in was quickly beaten into the mold. Reid was a cult of personality and he surrounded himself with people who thought the same. They got lazy. They didn't want to be pushed.

I am less and less worried about Andy Reid the more I look at the staff he is building. He is doing the same thing again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: