ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
GJGSRider OP
carver

Oddometer: 70
Thunder Mountain Rendezvous, Hotchkiss CO

June 12-14, 2015 CO
12th Thunder Mountain Rendezvous
BMW Riders of Western Colorado MOA #270 RA #319
Come join us at the Delta County Fairgrounds in downtown Hotchkiss Colorado on an early summer weekend on the Western Slope of Colorado. Our rally offers great camaraderie, a beautiful venue, and the greatest riding in Colorado. It also helps us raise money to support motorcycle safety and the local Booster Club. Our low elevation venue includes a large meeting hall, restrooms with showers, plenty of grassy camping and the convenience of walking to downtown restaurants, stores and motels. Your rally fee of $40 before (May 15),$50 at the gate, gets you dinner Friday and Saturday nights, H.S. Booster Club fundraiser pancake breakfast available Sat AM, continental breakfast Sunday morning, camping, rally pin, free coffee and tea, door prizes, and movies both Friday and Saturday nights inside Heritage Hall. GS rides, (all abilities), scenic rides and mileage rides will be mapped out and waiting for your enjoyment. No camping on the grass before 5:00 p.m. Thursday June 11. Information: Paul Hughes 985-514-0096 pmhughes@live.com
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
ROAD DAMAGE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Great Little Rally

Glad to see that this rally is back on after taking last year off!

I want to do my part to help keep this rally alive and healthy ......... so I'd like to give folks that have never attended it a glimpse of what it offers.

Hotchkiss is a great place to have a bike get together as there is really nice riding of all types in this area. The nearby road riding offers lots of the iconic CO stuff like McClure Pass, The Grand Mesa, CO-Hwy 141, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Hwy 550, etc. etc. Off-road and dual sport riding offerings are just as impressive with Kebler Pass, Lands End road, The Alpine Loop Scenic Byway, and the incredible Uncomphagre Plateau that would take most of us a whole summer just to properly explore.

This area is a real gem for dual sport riders because of all the variety of terrain. Here's an example of a day ride that I took from Hotchkiss a few years ago: Rode westward to Delta from Hotchkiss and then took dirt/gravel roads across the Uncomphagre Plateau to what is arguably one of the nicest stretches of asphalt in western CO ...... Hwy 141. Rode 141 southward to Gateway and then picked up the dirt/gravel John Brown Canyon Road that takes you up and over the north side of the Manti-La-Sal Mountains into Castle Valley, UT. Then through Castle Valley's spectacular red rock spires and towers and along the Colorado River to Moab. LUNCH! Then went south of Moab on 191 to UT46 and back into CO via the gorgeous Paradox Valley. Take the Bedrock cutoff gravel road (Y11) and ride along the Dolores River canyon (and right under the "hanging flume") until it's confluence with the San Miguel River and back to Co Hwy 141. Then the twisties and sweepers northward on 141 back to Whitewater and back home to the tent at Hotchkiss via 50 & 92. I changed out of riding gear, washed the dirt off my face, opened a beer ..... and dinner was waiting! What a great day ..................

This is pretty much a riders rally. Any of you ADVers that are going to be traveling around CO/UT that time of year should consider stopping by and taking advantage of a long weekend's worth of camping, a few meals, a few nights of entertainment, and an opportunity to ride unencumbered by not having to carry your tent and camping gear along on the bike.

See you there!

Road Damage
Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,265
+1 - used to go tho this rally all the time when it was still in Cedaredge. Have not been able to go back since it was moved to fall - happy to see it was moved back to early summer.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,471
Been a while for me, too.
I think I was at the first three. Glad they moved it back to June. Might be able to make it happen this year.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
ROAD DAMAGE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Hotchkiss Rally

Weekly BUMP back up to the top.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,359
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Glad to see that this rally is back on after taking last year off!

I want to do my part to help keep this rally alive and healthy ......... so I'd like to give folks that have never attended it a glimpse of what it offers.

Hotchkiss is a great place to have a bike get together as there is really nice riding of all types in this area. The nearby road riding offers lots of the iconic CO stuff like McClure Pass, The Grand Mesa, CO-Hwy 141, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Hwy 550, etc. etc. Off-road and dual sport riding offerings are just as impressive with Kebler Pass, Lands End road, The Alpine Loop Scenic Byway, and the incredible Uncomphagre Plateau that would take most of us a whole summer just to properly explore.

This area is a real gem for dual sport riders because of all the variety of terrain. Here's an example of a day ride that I took from Hotchkiss a few years ago: Rode westward to Delta from Hotchkiss and then took dirt/gravel roads across the Uncomphagre Plateau to what is arguably one of the nicest stretches of asphalt in western CO ...... Hwy 141. Rode 141 southward to Gateway and then picked up the dirt/gravel John Brown Canyon Road that takes you up and over the north side of the Manti-La-Sal Mountains into Castle Valley, UT. Then through Castle Valley's spectacular red rock spires and towers and along the Colorado River to Moab. LUNCH! Then went south of Moab on 191 to UT46 and back into CO via the gorgeous Paradox Valley. Take the Bedrock cutoff gravel road (Y11) and ride along the Dolores River canyon (and right under the "hanging flume") until it's confluence with the San Miguel River and back to Co Hwy 141. Then the twisties and sweepers northward on 141 back to Whitewater and back home to the tent at Hotchkiss via 50 & 92. I changed out of riding gear, washed the dirt off my face, opened a beer ..... and dinner was waiting! What a great day ..................

This is pretty much a riders rally. Any of you ADVers that are going to be traveling around CO/UT that time of year should consider stopping by and taking advantage of a long weekend's worth of camping, a few meals, a few nights of entertainment, and an opportunity to ride unencumbered by not having to carry your tent and camping gear along on the bike.

See you there!

Road Damage
you giving me joy and tears talking bout those great rides.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
So many memories for this rally/area. One of the first ones that we remember we get to the campsite just north of town on a Thursday and then the front moves in and snow all over. Many riders were delayed a day , some missed the entire rally.

We were introduced to many by Denny Huffman, whom we still stay in contact with Hope to meet Frank there.

Not for the rally but a summer ago we rode into Hotchkiss at dark, grab supper at the barbecue place and asked for camping suggestions.

The fair grounds, free camping and showers /bathrooms right across the street. WOW win/win. Super lush green grass, flat surface, no rocks

Four thirty AM , 4:30 AM a roar hits the tents, sprinklers were knocking the s*&*% out of our tents. We were awake but did not venture out until the water moved to another area . LMAO!!

Love bikes/camping
gale
Gale B.T. is online now   Reply With Quote