ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Buena vista vs Aspen dispersed camping?

I'm starting to second guess my end of august Buena Vista (clear creek res) camping location choice because of the 35' Independence pass rule preventing us from towing the 24' toyhauler over to aspen. If I was alone, I would have gone back to pitkin. But since my new GF is coming along and she doesn't ride, Iv decided to stay closer to a town.

She wants to visit conundrum hot springs, so that would require the trip over Independence pass. But what I'm wondering, is if after we are over in aspen, will we want to stay longer but not be able to with the toyhauler stuck at clear creek res. We are looking for a semi private RV camp spot not right next to other campers. But close enough to a town for her/us to do something other than riding.

I'm not sure about my riding choices over in aspen, nor have I ever camped at clear creek and hope it's quiet. But I really want her to have a great time so she might come back with me again..

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,557
You already asked this earlier, right? I guess I would talk your GF into hanging out around BV. Lots of hot spring facilities there, although not 8 miles up a trail. What I read about conundrum is that you can expect some wackos (Aspenites?).
Old 05-03-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
You already asked this earlier, right? I guess I would talk your GF into hanging out around BV. Lots of hot spring facilities there, although not 8 miles up a trail. What I read about conundrum is that you can expect some wackos (Aspenites?).
Did I? Cant recall or maybe since I'm still undecided between BV and Aspen I asked again..

Regardless, I value and appreciate your and other local's opinion's

Are there less places, choices to boondock with a camper on the Aspen side?
Old 05-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
TerminalHavic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
BV all the way, no question! Aspen is not my cup of tea, nor are the type of people that tend to flock there. If you want to boondock, stay on the BV side. They are much more conducive to offroaders.
TerminalHavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:11 AM   #5
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminalHavic View Post
BV all the way, no question! Aspen is not my cup of tea, nor are the type of people that tend to flock there. If you want to boondock, stay on the BV side. They are much more conducive to offroaders.
Perfect thanks!

Even though my off roading might be minimal this year, I think I might know the type you and Doc are talking about and will camp on the BV side.
Then do a day trip or two over to the Aspen side wearing carhart overalls and orange hunting hats..
Old 05-04-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,674
Have ya seen Arkansas Headwaters Rec Area? It's 5 miles out of BV and directly at the entrance to Fourmile OHV. Nice Gov camp right on the river.

http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/pa...s/Camping.aspx
Old 05-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Have ya seen Arkansas Headwaters Rec Area? It's 5 miles out of BV and directly at the entrance to Fourmile OHV. Nice Gov camp right on the river.
http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/pa...s/Camping.aspx
Is that railroad bridge camp ground? As Arkansas Headwaters Rec Area has six CG's

It's located away from the highway. How often does the train blow through?
Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 2,018
I don't recall a train through there in the 15 years I've lived here.
I think the line is inactive...

The CG is just north of Ruby Mtn, so I'd call it the Ruby Mtn CG.
No railroad bridges nearby.

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #9
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,674
Sorry - the pix and suggestion were for Ruby Mtn CG - forgot that there were a few that fall under the umbrella term of Arkansas River Rim Rec Area. . http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...Buena_Vista_CO

I've stayed there the past 2 summers to start my Colorado effort. I like that it's located directly at the entrance to Fourmile - zero pavement to get to the trails and close to town for a trip to Eddyline Brewery

Old 05-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I don't recall a train through there in the 15 years I've lived here.
I think the line is inactive...

The CG is just north of Ruby Mtn, so I'd call it the Ruby Mtn CG.
No railroad bridges nearby.

That is where I have camped and you can get on the 4 Mile trail system from there and we used to see bighorns driving in just before the site. And in the pic above you can see Mt. Princeton and the great Chalk Cliffs and Chalk Creek ride up to St. Elmo and all over.
One of my favorite rides which can also include a ride to top of Mt. Antero. Your GF will love it. Great hiking near Princeton, including Agnes Falls.

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 05-04-2015 at 12:05 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ruby Mtn CG sounds like a great alternative, if clear creek res cg isn't up to par.. Thanks. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

What I dont like about the Arkansas Headwaters Rec site maps is they don't pinpoint exactly where any of the six CG actually are.. Just a rough layout map..
Old 05-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #12
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
Ruby Mtn CG sounds like a great alternative, if clear creek res cg isn't up to par.. Thanks. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

What I dont like about the Arkansas Headwaters Rec site maps is they don't pinpoint exactly where any of the six CG actually are.. Just a rough layout map..
Here ya go:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...O&parkId=50067
Old 05-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #13
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:

And I remembered an older thread with lots of info on this great place.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790805
Old 05-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #14
TerminalHavic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Perfect thanks!

Even though my off roading might be minimal this year, I think I might know the type you and Doc are talking about and will camp on the BV side.
Then do a day trip or two over to the Aspen side wearing carhart overalls and orange hunting hats..

That's exactly what I would do too! Good luck and have fun.
TerminalHavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:08 AM   #15
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks.. But that map isn't much better.

hecla junction
10022 Co Rd 194 Salida, CO 81201

Ruby
22565 Co Road 300, Buena Vista, CO 81211

Railroad
33827 Co Rd 371 Buena Vista, CO 81211

Quote:
And I remembered an older thread with lots of info on this great place.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790805
That is a good thread.. Thanks!

rebar screwed with this post 05-05-2015 at 05:58 AM
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote