ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #31
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
Ha. I got it from him for 7k! Thanks for the tip!

Just kidding.

Hope that was you Thump.

Steve Mcqueen
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #32
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
300xcw

I have a 2011 xcw and love it. Had wildcat motors (Ktm Talk) do some mods (carb bore, match transfer ports, deck the cylinder and improve the squish area), and am using the red spring ,flush. Now rejetted, the bike runs with sea level performance at 6800ft msl. The suspension needs some attention (springs for your weight and valving) to improve the the ride quality, but its ok stock. I am having mine done locally. I have heard a lot of good reports with a recluse exp installed. If you find one that fits your budget, I would give serious thought. PM me if you have questions.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #33
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
I have a 2011 xcw and love it. Had wildcat motors (Ktm Talk) do some mods (carb bore, match transfer ports, deck the cylinder and improve the squish area), and am using the red spring ,flush. Now rejetted, the bike runs with sea level performance at 6800ft msl. The suspension needs some attention (springs for your weight and valving) to improve the the ride quality, but its ok stock. I am having mine done locally. I have heard a lot of good reports with a recluse exp installed. If you find one that fits your budget, I would give serious thought. PM me if you have questions.
Carb bore? Is that when they smooth out the spot where rubber boot meets up with the carb.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #34
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
carb bore

The carb bore is enlarged from a 36 to a 38. This complements the rest of the work by allowing a better air flow at the upper end of the rpm range. This also required some minor main jet changes. I went up one size from what the manual calls for at my alt and temp.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #35
YOGOI
Prick

Cool, We should start a (Rockies) 2 Stroke thread.
Where to get work done.
What works for higher altitude.
Is there interest?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #36
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
So, the only real question is are you going to finish fixing the 450 before you take out the new 300?

Steve Mcqueen
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #37
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
So, the only real question is are you going to finish fixing the 450 before you take out the new 300?
I can see it now in the "pay it forward gear for the rockies" thread two years from now....."'06 KTM 450 free to a good home, must be willing figure out how to put the 1000 little pieces of metal back together. I think they form an engine."

I assume you bought that 300 thump, congrats!
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #38
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post
Cool, We should start a (Rockies) 2 Stroke thread.
Where to get work done.
What works for higher altitude.
Is there interest?
Honestly, I think that the 2 strokes need almost no work done to them.
No valves to adjust, no oil filters to buy. No weird oil change procedure of bleeding and laying the bike on its side.
Just get the jetting right and they are good to go. I change my jetting twice a year at the most. Top ends last longer than they ever did.

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #39
thump_co OP
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,033
It was a damn good day..

First, the UPS guy shows up with the long awaited banjo bolt and cam tensioner for the 450..

Then I spend an hour playing in Brady's yard with his hopped up 300 and it likes me so much that it follows the wife and I over to dinner at The Rio and all the way back to my garage.

Port, polish and decking by Munn Racing, Pro circuit pipe and Stillwell suspension. When the powervalve kicks in you hit instant ludacris speed. It's actually a little scary for me. Much lighter handling than the 450. Feels a like I'm riding a DH bike with a jet pack strapped on. I have a feeling I'll get hooked on this quickly.

Haven't touched singletrack on it yet, but I don't think gearing will be an issue. I hit over 70 running in the drainage ditch and it had more to give. Held 60 easy without even touching the powerband.

Thanks for all the feedback fellas.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #40
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
It was a damn good day..

First, the UPS guy shows up with the long awaited banjo bolt and cam tensioner for the 450..

Then I spend an hour playing in Brady's yard with his hopped up 300 and it likes me so much that it follows the wife and I over to dinner at The Rio and all the way back to my garage.

Port, polish and decking by Munn Racing, Pro circuit pipe and Stillwell suspension. When the powervalve kicks in you hit instant ludacris speed. It's actually a little scary for me. Much lighter handling than the 450. Feels a like I'm riding a DH bike with a jet pack strapped on. I have a feeling I'll get hooked on this quickly.

Haven't touched singletrack on it yet, but I don't think gearing will be an issue. I hit over 70 running in the drainage ditch and it had more to give. Held 60 easy without even touching the powerband.

SHAWEET!! And its already got a sticker!!
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #41
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,751
That bike should bring a smile to your face. Sounds like its setup nicely!
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #42
YOGOI
Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeeuro View Post
Honestly, I think that the 2 strokes need almost no work done to them.
No valves to adjust, no oil filters to buy. No weird oil change procedure of bleeding and laying the bike on its side.
Just get the jetting right and they are good to go. I change my jetting twice a year at the most. Top ends last longer than they ever did.
True that. What I meant was, where to get port and polish "work" done?
Pipes, jetting, gearing, suspension, even tires and oil if we have to.

My 450 just left my driveway in someone else's truck. It never got touched after I bought the 250 and it sat in the garage all summer.
I did get to wheelie up and down the street before it left, I'll miss it a little, but not too bad.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #43
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
It was a damn good day..

Wow. 450 and 300. Wise choices.

Which cam chain tensioner are you putting on the 450?

With all this talk about 300 mods, I'm really starting to think I need to get some work done on my 300. I've got it on the bench for top end service. Whatever I do, I want to make sure I don't sacrifice too much tractability or fuel economy.

Options?

Slavens mule mod

Slavens head mod

Munn racing mod?

I've already put on the knarly pipe. That made a pretty good difference in mid-range. I haven't touched the head or porting yet.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #44
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,672
I haven't touched the head, power valve spring, or any motor stuff in 140hrs. Just did an XC 6spd upgrade recently, otherwise the only big thing was the suspension when I bought it.

I'll Mule it whenever I get around to doing the top end @ 200hrs or more hopefully.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #45
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Wow. 450 and 300. Wise choices.

Which cam chain tensioner are you putting on the 450?

With all this talk about 300 mods, I'm really starting to think I need to get some work done on my 300. I've got it on the bench for top end service. Whatever I do, I want to make sure I don't sacrifice too much tractability or fuel economy.

Options?

Slavens mule mod

Slavens head mod

Munn racing mod?

I've already put on the knarly pipe. That made a pretty good difference in mid-range. I haven't touched the head or porting yet.
I haven't rode the Mule mod but I hear it really compliments the 300s singletrack abilities. I do have the head mod and have mixed feelings about it when used alone. It definitely gives a nice boost in power but I just took it back off, to me it seemed to make the motor more intense powerwise, it's lost some of it's tractability (singletrack manners). I know that's not a good description It didn't cause a lightswitch powerband or anything like that, I just feel I'm a little smoother rider without it the way the bike runs now. I decided to baseline everything, install a knarly pipe and dial that in, get the jetting where I like it and then see which PV spring I prefer, once that's done I'll throw the head back on and see how it does. There's so many options with the 300 when you start doing thos mods, PV spring, kind of pipe, head, porting, jetting etc.. Letting someone like Jeff have at it is probably a good idea. He's figured out all this stuff and know allot more than most of us, at least me
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote